New to weight training, what is a good starting point?

Options
I am starting weight training this week. I was always taught in college classes that to gain muscle you do less reps and more weight when lifting or using machines, and to lose fat and tone (which is what i want to do for my wedding in may) you do more reps with less weight. My main problem area is my arms (triceps and delts primarily) but my biceps could use work too. My dress is strapless so I want to tone a bit. I will be using the machines instead of free weights (personal preference) at LA fitness. What is a good starting weight/ how many reps should I do and how many sets to tone and reduce fat, NOT gain bulk. I don't want to bulk up, just tone up. Also, how many days a week should I do it is 2/3 enough for upper body? and should I do weight training before my cardio or after? I always thought it was before a cardio workout so that you didn't tire out. I am new to weight training, I have been active most of my life but I never really started a weight training program and stuck with it.

The one other question I have is regarding protein shakes. I currently have EAS protein its soy based and Its 20 grams of protein, I have the chocolate flavor. Should I drink a shake after every weight lifting workout?

Thanks for all of your help!

Replies

• SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump because I'm curious too. I do some weights stuff, but am not sure if I'm approaching it right.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would recommend checking out stronglifts 5x5.

5 sets, 5 reps, all compound lifts.

ETA I just saw you said you're going to use machines, my advice is don't. Just learn how to use free weights now. I also go to LA fitness and they have a very well stocked weight room. Unless you're nursing an injury, machines just aren't the way to go.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Low weight, high reps will build endurance. High weight, low reps will do what you call "tone." I've been lifting heavy for over a year and I do not have bulk. What I *do* have from it are nice arms. :drinker:

My advice is to hire a trainer to learn proper form and set up a program to build on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I am starting weight training this week. I was always taught in college classes that to gain muscle you do less reps and more weight when lifting or using machines
    It's a little more than that. You also have to train in high volume (sets) and have a calorie surplus since it's usually improbable to build muscle on a calorie deficit.
    and to lose fat and tone (which is what i want to do for my wedding in may) you do more reps with less weight.
    Old myth. Losing body fat comes down to calorie deficit. One could lift light weights and lots of reps, but without a calorie deficit, no fat will be lost.
    My main problem area is my arms (triceps and delts primarily) but my biceps could use work too. My dress is strapless so I want to tone a bit.
    By this I am assuming you want smaller arms with less fat around them. That's not "toned" (a word with many different definitions) but being leaner. And again that comes with calorie deficit along with some decent resistance training.
    I will be using the machines instead of free weights (personal preference) at LA fitness. What is a good starting weight/ how many reps should I do and how many sets to tone and reduce fat, NOT gain bulk. I don't want to bulk up, just tone up. Also, how many days a week should I do it is 2/3 enough for upper body? and should I do weight training before my cardio or after? I always thought it was before a cardio workout so that you didn't tire out. I am new to weight training, I have been active most of my life but I never really started a weight training program and stuck with it.
    Whether you use machines or free weights, as a female the chances of bulking up with some moderate weight training is improbable again especially if you're in calorie deficit. Start with a very simple 3 sets of 10 reps with at least one exercise per body part using as much weight as you can to complete the 10 reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think I agree with everything that's been posted in reply to you, but to fill in some gaps and reinforce a couple things:
    What is a good starting weight/ how many reps should I do and how many sets to tone and reduce fat, NOT gain bulk.
    You're not going to bulk. Seriously, don't even begin to worry about it. For a man, serious bulking requires a lot of food and way more lifting than you're even hoping to do over the course of years. For a woman, the kind of bulking you're talking about pretty much requires illegal supplements in addition to all that work.

I'm a big fan of true beginners starting very easy. The recommendations of finding a groove of 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps are probably where you want to end up. But it's not a bad idea to start out with weights you can do way more than that with. Just be sure you increase the weight every time you do it. Eventually you'll reach a point where grinding out 3 sets of 5 is a struggle. Good on ya. That's where getting comfortable with the exercise transitions into really making solid progress.
    should I do weight training before my cardio or after?
    Before. Warm up for a few minutes, then lift, then do cardio. You want to be able to lift as much as possible in order to get stronger. If your muscles are fatigued from cardio your form may suffer and you won't be able to lift as much, hence less progress. If your muscles are tired from lifting when you do cardio, you'll probably be able to push through it. You might run at a slower pace or whatever, but your heart will still reap the benefits of the effort.
    Should I drink a shake after every weight lifting workout?
    Despite the advice you might find on the internet or even on the bottle you're drinking, it makes practically no difference. Your body needs it, but as long as you're getting enough protein over the course of the day you'll have it to build and maintain muscle with. The only 'supplements' I've seen a very good argument for timing being an issue are that it's nice to have some carbs in your system from a couple of hours before a workout to burn and a bit of caffeine can help power things along.
  • FirstandGoal
    Options
    I have been a cardio girl, a weight lifter girl, and now I am a sort of hybrid.

The whole concept that women can't get bulky is a myth. It's not about testosterone, it's about genetics. I have a sprinters build, with "fast twitch" fibers, so I gain muscle fast, tend to lose fat slowly, and will definitely build a lot of leg muscle. Look at some of the gymnasts you see on tv. They are def "bulky" by some peoples standards, but they do heavy, heavy training.

What COULD happen is that you are building muscle, but still have fat on top. That can make you feel a little thicker and make your clothes tighter. If you have fat over muscle, you won't see the definition. If you just lose fat with no muscle, you will be "skinny fat".

My advice and what works for me is to do a lot of body weight type exercises, and keep a good momentum, so that you keep your heart rate up and burn a lot of calories. For example, do lunges, then move straight into a set of squats. Take a little break, then repeat. Pushups, pullups (modified on both to start), plyometrics, and exercises that use combinations help a lot, because using large muscles burns calories AND tones. That way you can burn calories, and tone up, and become more "fit".

I agree on machines..waste of time. There are great dvd's out there for beginners; a lot of the jillian michaels, as well as Slim in 6 by beachbody. I swear that workout does miracles, using weights (lots of squats, lunges, pushups) mixed with just enough cardio.

I hope this helps! :)