5 lbs per week: Healthy Weight Loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My question is if a loss of 5 lbs based on the above training plan too aggressive and unhealthy?

Yes.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

My question is if a loss of 5 lbs based on the above training plan too aggressive and unhealthy?

Yes.

YES again.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! :noway:
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Beating a dead horse... YES.

However, the first week you could lose more than the following. My first week I lost 5 and a half, but since then I am at about 1-2 pounds per week, depending on how often I can get to the gym and how crappy I eat. I can also gain 3 pounds in one day because I drink a lot of fluids when I work. Again, it CAN be water weight, or it can be that your body is in WTF mode because it's not use to this.

It is not healthy what you are doing to keep doing it. Start out slow... not like this. You will get very sick or injure yourself since your body can't sustain the workout. trust me. I broke my tibia last year.
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    "People are being VERY rude to you in this thread."

The guy asked if his plan is healthy. A bunch of people emphatically replied that it's not. That's not VERY rude at all.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think maybe my last weeks losses were mostly water weight and guessing that my weight loss will slow down after this coming week. 5 lbs a week does sound alittle crazy too me and sometimes I feel light headed during the day.

Feeling light headed?

Eat more.

Up your calories now.
  • faiza77
    faiza77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes i think it is, it will get back once you stop doing all this.. 1-2 lbs / wk is realistic and healthy way and stays there. such sudden and so much loss will make you sick and over excretion can cuase inflamation.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on the Biggest Loser ... yes would be the best answer here.

A good number is 1% of your weight per week. Cuts down on the bad things you see with quick weight loss. ]

Good luck.

That'd be 1.4 pounds a week for me instead of my .5-.75.

Nope.

Ditto - it's not really a smart system, 1%.

Perhaps obesely overweight it's decent, but at some point, it should lower.
    Just like % off TDEE lowers, just like MFP's method should lower too.

I thought the 1% was the maximum healthy weight loss, and you can have a lower goal.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

The guy asked if his plan is healthy. A bunch of people emphatically replied that it's not. That's not VERY rude at all.
    You might want to read the rest of that post. :wink:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

You didn't read the rest of his post did you or maybe you read it and didn't understand. He was being sarcastic to make a point. He wasn't saying the original poster's idea was a good one. He was saying the opposite.
  • leaner426
    Options
    3 pounds with good nutrition sounds better. One other rule of thumb to consider - listen to your body. If you're light headed, feeling weak or otherwise not feeling healthy then you are probably pushing it. Stressing your body too much can trigger lifelong illnesses so listen to what it is telling you. Good luck!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    LOL no. This is suicide.
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll cop to having skim read on the run :) I just came from a thread where someone was being advised to dehydrate so my mind was primed for dumb advice!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on the Biggest Loser ... yes would be the best answer here.

A good number is 1% of your weight per week. Cuts down on the bad things you see with quick weight loss. ]

Good luck.

That'd be 1.4 pounds a week for me instead of my .5-.75.

Nope.

Ditto - it's not really a smart system, 1%.

Perhaps obesely overweight it's decent, but at some point, it should lower.
    Just like % off TDEE lowers, just like MFP's method should lower too.

I thought the 1% was the maximum healthy weight loss, and you can have a lower goal.

It's a good number unless pretty overweight (where you can go a bit higher) or reasonably lean, where it makes sense to go lower.
  • AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options

You might want to read the rest of that post. :wink:

Yep.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    :sick:

This is a good way to end up in the hospital within a month.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Nope, not healthy or realistic.

Shoot for 2 lbs/week max.