Who really counts the BLTs?

Options
We ALL do it and I will have a hard time believing anyone who says they don't. BLTs are the Bites, Licks and Tastes we take through out the day but do you really track them?

Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

Anyone making a sandwich? Who hasn't gotten peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc on their fingers and then licked it off? Making some of those healthy cookies or muffins? Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan. Do you risk making a mess and losing all that goodness to just to make sure you count all those calories?

For all the chefs/cooks out there. We are taught to always taste your food so do you stop and weigh the taste of gravy, chili, the low fat alfredo sauce that you found a great recipe for and possibly burn something because you left the stove long enough to see how many calories a slurp of soup is?

So tell me honestly, who really counts the BLTs and how do you do it?

Replies

• Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've just started, but I do count my BLT's because they can add up... and it also makes me conscious of food I am "nibbling" on through out the day.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    i do not count them!!
  • nikkiofthelake
    Options
    I'm the mother of a toddler, and I really try not to take any BLTs. I know they can really add up! If I get peanut butter or mayo on my hands, I'll wash them. I'll have family members add extra salt or pepper to their own plates of food if they need it so I don't have to take multiple bites (or slurps).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I want a BLT now. :sad:

Both ways. Giggity.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    We ALL do it and I will have a hard time believing anyone who says they don't. BLTs are the Bites, Licks and Tastes we take through out the day but do you really track them?

Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

Anyone making a sandwich? Who hasn't gotten peanut butter, mayonnaise, etc on their fingers and then licked it off? Making some of those healthy cookies or muffins? Most people will use their fingers to scrape the dough/batter into the pan. Do you risk making a mess and losing all that goodness to just to make sure you count all those calories?

For all the chefs/cooks out there. We are taught to always taste your food so do you stop and weigh the taste of gravy, chili, the low fat alfredo sauce that you found a great recipe for and possibly burn something because you left the stove long enough to see how many calories a slurp of soup is?

So tell me honestly, who really counts the BLTs and how do you do it?

Ah, I guess this isn't about one of my favorite sandwiches! Boo.

I used to add a few calories every day to account for BLTs. I don't now because I don't do it anymore. If do eat a random bite of something I add it into snacks.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This goes hand in hand with the 'HELP' posts. Help, I am not losing weight and I am logging everything... Well actually, no you are not. If it passes your lips then you should make an allowance in your diary for it. At the end of the day you are only cheating yourself if you eat more than you log.

Good luck :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I did. Now I'm in maintenance so I don't. That's really the only thing that I've let slide a little since switching over. I just set my calorie goal a little below maintenance to cover the margin of error. So far it's working.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've just started, but I do count my BLT's because they can add up... and it also makes me conscious of food I am "nibbling" on through out the day.

So how do you weigh or measure them?
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I came here for the BLT Sandwiches (they're my favorite!).....

While I'm slightly disappointed that we're not here to celebrate bacon.....

Op, I count everything. licks, bites, and tastes.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I don't take bites, licks or tastes....well not ones that involve calories...
  • JJananii
    JJananii Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I honestly just don't take "BLT'S" anymore. I want my logging to be as accurate as possible and I have three kids under five so they would add up way too much. I also have a dog, so he gets all the little leftover bites ;)
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use do BLT and not count, but now I just don't do it. I throw away, leave, wipe off or whatever word fits that indicates it didn't touch my lips. I've just learned I don't have to eat whatever's left or taste things. Most things I know I season well, and if it needs something more later, I add to my dish/my portion to suit my liking. But my hubby? He wants me to taste EVERYTHING that HE eats or tires hahaha lil turd! Hardly does that anymore though :)
  • sargessexyone
    Options
    Just to be clear, I am not as bad about them as I used to be and I am typically far enough under my calorie intake to account for any BLTs and mismeasurements .
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth. It gets logged. Looking for something 6" later today. Maybe 12".

Subway fools.
  • JJananii
    JJananii Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Love this :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of BLTs, mainly because they are difficult to assess and log, but I will do Quick Add of 100 calories or go for a 20 brisk walk (that I don't record) if there are some BLTs that day.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Let's be real. The errors (uncertainties) in your big calorie items are bigger than all the calories in gum, diet drinks, many condiments, most green veggies, your BLTs, etc. Yes, think about everything you put in your mouth before you put it there, but don't waste your life's precious time counting senselessly. We all have lives to live, so let's live them. I've often just added up the big ticket items and then added a few hundred calories for miscellaneous. That's only dangerous if you find yourself stuffing yourself with the miscellaneous stuff. Good luck to you!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The only BLTs I have come in the form of a sandwich.
  • sargessexyone
    Options

Wish they had a like button.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I eat about 5 BLT sandwiches a day and don't count them because the bacon counteracts the carbs in the lettuce and tomato. I've had excellent results.