Who really counts the BLTs?

Options

Replies

• YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't but I don't do them that often either. Plus, oftentimes I will only make a serving of something and everything gets measured out before I put it in the pot.

The times I make a bigger serving of something for the family and I know I did taste test sometimes I add a few grams to account for blt's.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    for anyone else who was disappointed by this thread like i was...

blt.jpg

060829_blt_hmed_8a.grid-6x2.jpg

blt-set-free-overlay-bg.jpg

thank you! So much closer to what I was expecting!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I really watch myself with this. I am not a mother so I don't have snacks around or plates to clean up. But my husband rarely finishes his supper and I used to eat his leftovers. I stopped that. Now if I am baking or cooking, I wipe my fingers instead of licking them. I have never tasted my food while cooking so that is not a problem. I think that I am only 20 - 50 calories over what I log on average.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes use 'Quick Add Calories' for this type of thing. Sometimes I'll add the actual item but when it's 0.1 of a serving of something it can get a bit tedious. So I estimate, although I think I go for overestimation rather than under.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Any time I am cooking, I try to keep gum in my mouth so I don't put any food in my mouth and avoid the BLTs.
    I don't have any children, so I'm not cleaning anybody's plate, so really the only time I have a BLT is if I go in the fridge and grab a bite of something that isn't a whole serving. I don't do it that often, but when I do, I really try to record it when I can. Considering I'm not doing it THAT often, I really don't think it would be affecting my weight loss considerably.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I tend to aviod them, mostly because I look at stuff and think 'is it really worth having to log that? ' which makes me want stuff less. As for the calorie free BLT's well...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't take bites, licks or tastes....well not ones that involve calories...

Yeah this. I know I would be too lazy to log it, so I just don't do it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I realllllllllllly want a BLT.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I count everything, but I typically don't do it either. I know where my kids put their hands and I have no desire whatsoever to eat their leftovers, and the dog typically gets them first anyway. I don't taste things when I cook either.

Ok sometimes when I put leftovers away I'll lick the spoon of rice/mashed potatoes, but that's not a huge deal... and it happens once a week or something. If I'm having nut butter and lick the spoon I'll add 1 or 2 grams to my total when I log it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

I make it a point not to finish my children's food. I'm a mother not a garbage disposal.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. My computer called it quits a few days ago, so there are some missing and incomplete entries, but I've been logging solidly since the beginning of the year with the exception of those few days. I don't have kids, but I'm a caregiver and I have a fiancé and I cook for/with them. I try not to take any bites of anything, but on the very rare occasion that I do, I'd log it like a small amount (teaspoon, quarter-cup, one ounce, etc) of each ingredient separately.

Edited for clarification.
  • Bellusion
    Options
    Yep, I'm not my child's trash can.. I learned that LONG ago, thankfully, so I don't have a problem with that! As for everything else, since I started logging, I've stopped doing it.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Mothers cleaning up after their children. There's two cheetos left in the bag, do you eat them? If so, do you bust out the scale to see how many calories they are? Scrambled eggs, chicken nuggets? There's one or two bites left, what mother out there has NEVER cleaned their childs plate?

I make it a point not to finish my children's food. I'm a mother not a garbage disposal.

When my kids were little I never cleaned their plate if they didn't finish what they had on it. What a terrible example to set. I don't ask them to finish what's on my plate, why would I finish what's on theirs?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I really made a conscious effort to not take BLTs; those can really add up, particularly if you tend to do that a lot...and a lot of people just do it subconsciously I think...which is probably one of the big reasons there are so many "not losing but I'm doing everything right" posts.

I'm a little more lenient now having been in maintenance for about 8 months...but really, that habit pretty much was broken when I was losing so my BLTs are pretty few and far between.

I'm a father of an almost 4 y.o. and an 8 m.o....the thought if finishing something off of one of their plates actually kind of disgusts me...they're little carrier monkeys and there's all kinds of nastiness on their plates when they've had them in front of them.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've heard them called LSN's - Licks, Sips, and Nibbles.

Try sucking on something with a strong taste, like mint or cinnamon, or something sour. The theory is that it keeps your taste buds busy, and the act of sucking will keep your mouth occupies. Sucking on a peppermint does the trick for me - I like the peppermint, amd it makes other things taste weird.
  • britney_monica
    britney_monica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do! I really try to account for everything, and if I don't know the exact percentage of the portion or calories, I make an educated guess. I think its important because a few extra pieces of anything each day add up! I feel like it holds me more accountable to making sure I'm not cheating myself. :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I definitely count things like cookie batter and peanut butter. A scoop of cookie batter is a whole cookie. No, I don't count if I eat a bite of the apple my kid didn't finish. It's usually evened out by the food my kids steal from ME.
  • Nuccia2012
    Nuccia2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth. It gets logged. Looking for something 6" later today. Maybe 12".

Subway fools.

I laughed so hard at this. so thanks for that. :)
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't log BLTs. Life too short to figure out how many calories were in the one bite of food that I had while making lunch.

And i NEVER eat off my kids plates while I'm cleaning up from dinner....I've seen them eat/spit/squish their food on their plates....I'm not eating that lol.

ETA: the only time I really try nibbles of things are while I'm cooking dinner. If I get mayo etc on my hand while making sandwiches I wash it off. I don't eat cookie dough (I just don't like it) If I were to constantly be taking BLTs of stuff during the day I'd log it as something, but I really don't do it often enough for it to be an issue.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I'm baking a lot and licking something like frosting or peanut butter off the spoon/bowl more than once, I'd count it using quick-add calories. A smidge on my finger, or a spoonful of soup, I'm not gonna bother. I've actually started putting a damp flour sack towel over my shoulder when I'm cooking to wipe my hands on, so I'm not tempted to lick off spoons or fingers.