Before / After Pic Shenanigans

Bry_Fitness70
Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
Like most gyms, the gym I go to has a bank of TVs in front of the treadmill / elliptical / spinning machines. A few of these are dedicated solely to promoting the gym, with motivational sayings, promotions, staff profiles, and before/after photos. Every time a before/after display came up I noticed the following:

1) The before pic was in bad lighting, the subject with unflattering clothes, bad posture, stomach pushed out, disheveled hair, and a glum facial expression.

2) The after pic was in nice lighting, the subject with well-fitting clothes, back and shoulders straight, stomach sucked in, a new hairdo, tanned, and with a big smile.

3) The after pic was zoomed in slightly closer than the before, making the after image appear significantly taller.

Points 1-2 have always been a part of the b/a methodology. Make the before pic look as much like a train wreck as possible, then beautify the after person in as many ways as possible to accentuate their fitness, thereby demonstrating your value as a personal trainer.

Item 3 I have more of a problem with, as it is blatantly deceptive; are you promising not only to help your clients get fitter, but to also actually somehow assist them in growing taller? Is airbrushing also fair game? I suspect that it is probably happening as well.

Any personal trainer that uses trickery to get clients is risking coming across as shady and disingenuous, and I don’t think they are fooling anyone…

Replies

• ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    This is why I like MFP. Real before and after pics (I hope anyway). I personally took my before pic with makeup on, my nice work clothes, and my hair done. That's how I normally look on a daily basis and I'd rather see my transformation that way. No, I can't see my belly or fat floppy arms in the picture, but I know what I look like.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    I completely agree. I took these pictures a few months ago to prove a point. The difference between the two pictures is 5 minutes. No editing done at all.

w83lhh.jpg

2hp6nbd.jpg

These aren't my progress pictures, and I've even changed some since when these pictures were taken. But to prove a point- this is the same day, same body, same weight, etc. Wardrobe, setting and posture change.
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    I completely agree. I took these pictures a few months ago to prove a point. The difference between the two pictures is 5 minutes. No editing done at all.

These aren't my progress pictures, and I've even changed some since when these pictures were taken. But to prove a point- this is the same day, same body, same weight, etc. Wardrobe, setting and posture change.

LOVE THIS POST. Perfect example of what the OP was talking about, and quite important in self esteem. People look at themselves in a grubby mirror, in old pants, when it's dark outside and the curtains are drawn and there's only one dull bulb in the room, their hair in a mess as they have just got out of bed, without trying to stand up straight and think too them selves:

"God I look awful"

Stand up straight, get in some proper lighting, hold yourself properly, put on some nice pants, and give yourself a boost!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Yesss!

In fact, I will take note of shady before/afters in any realm and stay away based on principle. If you're trying to show me the difference your makeup/clothes/workout/toothpaste/etc. makes, the most convincing you can be is to keep as many visible variables constant so that the true source of the change is obvious.

That said, I do understand the differences a *little* bit more when it comes to weight loss - we aren't always in a happy place when we take before pictures, and it's not always done on days when we feel we look awesome. We might truly be disheveled and have poor posture that day. When we take progress photos, we are proud of how far we come, probably actually HAVE better posture, and are likely happier.

Leaves no excuse for poor cropping and different lighting, though!
  • Bry_Fitness70

2hp6nbd.jpg

Congrats, your progress is spectacular!

Okay, this is brilliant!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member

OH MY GOD I love this!!!! So fantastic.
  • ashleymarie9807
    ashleymarie9807 Posts: 40 Member
    Before
    56915898_7411.jpg

Today
    56915898_2605.jpg
  • ashleymarie9807
    ashleymarie9807 Posts: 40 Member
    Ohh my bad I am sorry I completely mis-understood what this post was about :blushing:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Ohh my bad I am sorry I completely mis-understood what this post was about :blushing:

:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!