dont know what just happened!

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hi dedgjonator, I haven't read any of your old posts. And I'm not a doctor. But I wanted to tell you you're not alone. You may feel alone. You may feel like everyone else can handle things, but you are the only one who can't. And you get mad at yourself for not being like you perceive everyone else is.

Your references to lists, and rules, and roundabouts hints at possible neurochemical issues. No one can diagnose you online, but certain neurochemical issues don't start becoming very apparent until around the age of 30. I sincerely urge you to mention your food ups and downs and rules, exercise routines (or lack of), feelings of hopelessness or issolation, suddenly recharchings of determination, etc. with a medical doctor. In particular one with specialization in diagnosing medical conditions cause by neurochemical imbalances.

It could be as simple as thyroid problems. Or it could be something much more complex.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    With fruit and veg I've only managed them as a smooth soup or juice. I can't eat it whole or as pieces.
    Make smoothies and drink them. You get all the fiber and vitamins that way. No chewing.

This is what my husband does for breakfast, and he seems to do pretty well with it. Otherwise, he'd eat NO veggies or fruits.

I have no aversions to fruits and veggies. I eat a salad nearly every day. But I have a sweet tooth and a fruit smoothie with some chocolate peanut butter and a little light whipped cream is a great dessert.

I love all foods. Portion control is my main issue. Oh, and cake. I love cake more than anything else. :laugh:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You've been depriving yourself and you couldn't take anymore. I swear once I blacked out and came to with an empty cookie tray on my chest and crumbs everywhere...
    :laugh:
  • aboland06
    Options
    you don't need to deprive yourself of your favorite foods! just eat in moderation! when i'm craving chocolate, i eat the bite size-caramels weight watchers chocolate! it's amazing!!!! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    With fruit and veg I've only managed them as a smooth soup or juice. I can't eat it whole or as pieces.
    Make smoothies and drink them. You get all the fiber and vitamins that way. No chewing.

This is what my husband does for breakfast, and he seems to do pretty well with it. Otherwise, he'd eat NO veggies or fruits.

I have no aversions to fruits and veggies. I eat a salad nearly every day. But I have a sweet tooth and a fruit smoothie with some chocolate peanut butter and a little light whipped cream is a great dessert.

I love all foods. Portion control is my main issue. Oh, and cake. I love cake more than anything else. :laugh:
    I love GOOD cake. But what I really love is chocolate cheesecake.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    There are many reasons for this - PMS, TOM, hunger, deprivation, etc. But whatever the reason, you are only back to square one if you choose to be. Otherwise, you made a bad decision and it's time to move on.

Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them onlu leads to longer term issues.
    I guess you've never actually experienced the insatiable hunger that often accompanies PMS. The kind of hunger where no matter what or how much you eat, you continue feeling so hungry you're actually light-headed.

I participate in a support group for obese women trying to get in shape. What you describe is an ongoing process for them and what they experience constantly, not just during certain times of the month. Assuming your food intake meets your macronutrient and caloric needs and you don't eat so that you become deficient in micronutrients (most norably B vitamins, iron, and magnesium) there's no actual physical reason you would need to eat differently and no medical reason for lightheadedness. It is, however, a pretty typical emotional response. Once you start feeding cravings instead of your body, you begin to teach your body the habit of engaging in that behavior and it becomes more ingrained and perpetuates those cravings in an ongoing cycle.
  • rml_16
    Options
    There are many reasons for this - PMS, TOM, hunger, deprivation, etc. But whatever the reason, you are only back to square one if you choose to be. Otherwise, you made a bad decision and it's time to move on.

Food consumption is about conscious choices. Period. PMS, mestruation and other things are not responsible for food choices and scapegoating them onlu leads to longer term issues.
    I guess you've never actually experienced the insatiable hunger that often accompanies PMS. The kind of hunger where no matter what or how much you eat, you continue feeling so hungry you're actually light-headed.

I participate in a support group for obese women trying to get in shape. What you describe is an ongoing process for them and what they experience constantly, not just during certain times of the month. Assuming your food intake meets your macronutrient and caloric needs and you don't eat so that you become deficient in micronutrients (most norably B vitamins, iron, and magnesium) there's no actual physical reason you would need to eat differently and no medical reason for lightheadedness. It is, however, a pretty typical emotional response. Once you start feeding cravings instead of your body, you begin to teach your body the habit of engaging in that behavior and it becomes more ingrained and perpetuates those cravings in an ongoing cycle.
    I am 37 years oldand have never in my entire life been obese. I didn't even become overweight until I was nearly 30 and my body fat percentage has always been in the healthy range, even at my highest weight. I have never been an emotional eater. I have never been a high-volume eater.

Three weeks out of the month, I am actually beyond full on 1,000-1,500 calories, no problem -- even with vigorous exercise. One week a month, no matter what I do, I'm ravenous. I was on birth control for many years that kept that mostly in check and went off of all hormonal BC more than a year ago. I had a procedure that prevents me from bleeding, so I don't actually know when I have my period, but I know it's due because my stomach tells me.

There actually are physiological reasons behind it, including the fact that your body burns more calories at this time. As I stated above, I don't crave specific foods, even with PMS. I'm just hungrier than normal.

But I suppose since you participate in a support group, you know my body better than I know my body.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Or hid them in sauces.
    Saute some onion, celery, and carrots when you make red sauce.
    And simmer it then use an immersion blender to hide it
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You've been depriving yourself and you couldn't take anymore. I swear once I blacked out and came to with an empty cookie tray on my chest and crumbs everywhere...

You haven't ruined any progress. It's just a few calories more than you'd planned on. That happens. You can go for a run to try to balance things out. Or just take it as a lesson, if you try to deny yourself for too long you'll just go crazy. Find a way to have some treats from time to time. Moderation works best.

There are speed bumps, a lot of trial and error, but this is your life and you're not going to go through it without having some cookies every now and then. So don't beat yourself up about it. Learn to make it a healthy and enjoyable part of your life now.

Very much this.

If you find that this approach doesn't work for you (no "good" or "bad" foods / anything in moderation / calorie counting) then look into other resources to combat what is effectively binging or ask again on the forum and I, or someone else, can help you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/you-can-prevent-pms-destroying-your-diet

The solution is to increase the production of serotonin, the brain chemical involved in regulating mood and weight. We discovered at MIT that serotonin activity is diminished during PMS so simply increasing serotonin production reduces the unpleasant mood and overeating during this time of the month.

Increasing serotonin is easy. The brain chemical is made when a non-fruit carbohydrate is eaten. Here is all that needs to be done:

Twice a day (or more if necessary) eat a snack containing 30-35 grams of a starchy or sweet carbohydrate. Choose foods that have no more than 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat. Protein prevents serotonin from being made, and fat just adds calories.

Eat the foods on an empty stomach or three hours after a meal.

The snacks should be regarded as edible therapy for the PMS, not as a source of nutrition. Make sure you take your usual vitamin and calcium supplements and eat as many fruits, vegetables, low or non-fat dairy products and lean protein as your PMS cravings will allow.

Good snack choices include popcorn, fat-free fudge sauce (for PMS chocolate cravers), sweetened breakfast cereal, an English muffin with jam, oatmeal with brown sugar, graham crackers, low-fat granola bars, very low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt, low-fat rice or soy crackers, pretzels, low-fat meringue cookies, low-fat biscotti and cotton candy (in case you have PMS while at a county fair).

A few caveats:

* Alcohol is not a substitute for the carbohydrate.
    * Eating fruit will not lead to serotonin production.
    * Soda and other foods made with high fructose corn syrup sweeteners do not lead to serotonin production.
    * Restrain yourself from munching on fat-filled brownies, chips, ice cream, and chocolate. Your brain doesn't know the difference but your scale will.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    I am 37 years oldand have never in my entire life been obese. I didn't even become overweight until I was nearly 30 and my body fat percentage has always been in the healthy range, even at my highest weight. I have never been an emotional eater. I have never been a high-volume eater.

Three weeks out of the month, I am actually beyond full on 1,000-1,500 calories, no problem -- even with vigorous exercise. One week a month, no matter what I do, I'm ravenous. I was on birth control for many years that kept that mostly in check and went off of all hormonal BC more than a year ago. I had a procedure that prevents me from bleeding, so I don't actually know when I have my period, but I know it's due because my stomach tells me.

There actually are physiological reasons behind it, including the fact that your body burns more calories at this time. As I stated above, I don't crave specific foods, even with PMS. I'm just hungrier than normal.

But I suppose since you participate in a support group, you know my body better than I know my body.

Nobody said you were obese. I haven't been obese either. And we weren't talking about your body, but your brain.

Hormones change very little about choice. What you eat is a choice. Simple.
    No.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201008/you-can-prevent-pms-destroying-your-diet

The solution is to increase the production of serotonin, the brain chemical involved in regulating mood and weight. We discovered at MIT that serotonin activity is diminished during PMS so simply increasing serotonin production reduces the unpleasant mood and overeating during this time of the month.

Increasing serotonin is easy. The brain chemical is made when a non-fruit carbohydrate is eaten. Here is all that needs to be done:

Twice a day (or more if necessary) eat a snack containing 30-35 grams of a starchy or sweet carbohydrate. Choose foods that have no more than 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat. Protein prevents serotonin from being made, and fat just adds calories.

Eat the foods on an empty stomach or three hours after a meal.

The snacks should be regarded as edible therapy for the PMS, not as a source of nutrition. Make sure you take your usual vitamin and calcium supplements and eat as many fruits, vegetables, low or non-fat dairy products and lean protein as your PMS cravings will allow.

Good snack choices include popcorn, fat-free fudge sauce (for PMS chocolate cravers), sweetened breakfast cereal, an English muffin with jam, oatmeal with brown sugar, graham crackers, low-fat granola bars, very low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt, low-fat rice or soy crackers, pretzels, low-fat meringue cookies, low-fat biscotti and cotton candy (in case you have PMS while at a county fair).

A few caveats:

* Alcohol is not a substitute for the carbohydrate.
    * Eating fruit will not lead to serotonin production.
    * Soda and other foods made with high fructose corn syrup sweeteners do not lead to serotonin production.
    * Restrain yourself from munching on fat-filled brownies, chips, ice cream, and chocolate. Your brain doesn't know the difference but your scale will.

Serotonin dips frequently, and not just during mestruation. What and when you eat affects serotonin, as does exercise, and interaction with your social environment. I don't doubt that women expeience psychological symptoms with serotinin and sex hormone fluctuation, especially when they consume a diet that increases these fluctuations. Consumption of food is a conscious choice. If you make better conscious choices all month long, you're less likely to experience more than mild fluctuations. If the only thing you regulate is total calories, you're likley to experience more. In either scenario, where you feed cravings, you build a habit that reinforces 1) having cravings and 2) reacting to them by feeding them, instead of fueling your body.

Hormones don't open the refrigerator, and they cannot lift a fork.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Nobody said you were obese. I haven't been obese either. And we weren't talking about your body, but your brain.

So I'm CHOOSING to be hungry?

OK then.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    You're choosing to consume food.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Because I'm starving. What would you have me do instead?
  • usmcmp
    Options

Don't you know it is all in your head? I mean some stranger on the internet told you so. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with a change in hormones. :huh:
  • usmcmp
    Options

So I'm CHOOSING to be hungry?

OK then.

We all know hunger is a lifestyle choice. Most people do it because they want attention, or to get back at their parents.

I didn't choose the boob life. The boob life chose me.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

No point in arguing with Greytfish - he/she is trying to apply the psychology of people who have or have had an unhealthy emotional relationship with food to someone who purportedly has always had a healthy relationship with food. It often doesn't work to do that, just as it doesn't often work in the reverse situation.

I have a similar situation to yours - one day a month when I'm unusually hungry. The date is not predictable because my TOM has been variable lately, but it's always 1-2 days before it starts. I've never been obese or clinically overweight (just close). On that day, I choose foods that are extra-filling to me, which helps, but not 100%. I eat a little more, because like you, I'm not going to sit there with actual hunger pangs and nausea (from hunger) and be grouchy and snappish when I can do something about it that doesn't hurt me. It goes away by the next day, and usually that day I end up under-eating by a bit because I'm not as hungry as usual. So, obviously I'm not perpetuating any cravings or hungry feelings.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    No one here is starving. If you can exaggerate hormonal dips and hunger to that degree, it's not at all surprising that you missed my point and are off on some tangent about how you absolutely have to consume more calories during these fluctuations, let alone not realizing that hormone dips are propotionate to the food consumed on an ongoing basis.

Hormones do not cause food consumption. If they did, people with PCOS could never lose the weight they need to lose in order to help restore a healthy hormone balance. They would have to eat, because otherwise they'd be starving!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

[...]
    Three weeks out of the month, I am actually beyond full on 1,000-1,500 calories, no problem -- even with vigorous exercise. One week a month, no matter what I do, I'm ravenous. [...]

There actually are physiological reasons behind it, including the fact that your body burns more calories at this time. As I stated above, I don't crave specific foods, even with PMS. I'm just hungrier than normal. [...]

I can so relate to this. It's horrible.