1st time at gym

Options
Annadriel
Annadriel Posts: 27 Member
Hi,
Tomorrow it will be my first time at gym. I am quite nervous and a bit scared of all that "machines" and the fact I will probably not even know how to use them... Also I heard stories that weight lifting ruins your joints and back and so on... So how do I even know what is it ok and what not? And how and when to increase weights? And how to avoid being complete idiot?

Replies

• Little_Miss_Metal
    Options
    I know the feeling, i soo want to join the gym but i am to scared as i would not know what to do at all,
    i know i want to lift weights and id want to lift heavy but as i have no experiance of it all i prob look like a idiot.

Maybe if you start going you might make some gym freinds there that know what they are doing and help you along?
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you lift with proper form, and don't try and start with too much weight, you'll be fine! Maybe spend today planning a routine (I read the stronglifts site and took the 5x5 program for inspiration) then maybe check out some YouTube videos to see what correct form for each lift is.

Also, as it's your 1st time, will you have an induction session with a trainer? That would be a great opportunity to ask about anything you're not sure with. Best of luck!
  • russyg
    russyg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know how daunting gyms can be!
    I got worried about all the 'muscle Mary' types, all buff etc; and thought they'd be looking at me and realising I didn't have a clue on what I was doing.
    All good gyms will have qualified staff who will discuss what you want to do, and will advise on what equipment will be best for you. They'll show you how to set things up, start, stop, the whole lot.
    They know whats good for cardio, strength etc, and always have staff around for help if you need it.

I was told that to get heart rate going and for fat burn, you should do LOW weights but HIGH number of reps. Then later on you can up the weights for toning/muscle build. I think this a general rule of thumb.

Good luck anyway!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Re joints, they get stronger over time just like muscle (but a bit slower). If you attempt to deadlift 100kg from day one, you'll probably do yourself a serious injury but if you train up to it, before you know it, you'll be picking up 100kg as a warm up.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you lift with proper form, and don't try and start with too much weight, you'll be fine! Maybe spend today planning a routine (I read the stronglifts site and took the 5x5 program for inspiration) then maybe check out some YouTube videos to see what correct form for each lift is.

Also, as it's your 1st time, will you have an induction session with a trainer? That would be a great opportunity to ask about anything you're not sure with. Best of luck!

+1 about the induction.
    When I first began I was 'inducted' into the gang and they show you how to operate and workout with proper form! Some machines also have instruction pictures on them so you shouldn't be too clueless as to how to operate them! Like mentioned before as well, 99% of the time the staff will be happy to assist also!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Tomorrow it will be my first time at gym. I am quite nervous and a bit scared of all that "machines" and the fact I will probably not even know how to use them... Also I heard stories that weight lifting ruins your joints and back and so on... So how do I even know what is it ok and what not? And how and when to increase weights? And how to avoid being complete idiot?

The gym should instruct you; but it may be hard for you to remember and each of us have specific needs. Consider consulting with a good trainer there to set you up on a program plan... it can be very simple and extremely effective. A plan is MOST important. It does not have to be on-going with the trainer if it does not fit into your budget. Just be frank with the trainer and explain what you want.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny On Obesity Group
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi,

As said above, you start light and progressively load. If you're not sure about technique, ask the trainers or someone else for some help.

Don't worry about other people though. You'll be pretty invisible to them unless you make yourself known.

Most of all, don't be nervous - everyone in that gym went to it for the first time at one point in their life.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I second taking advantage of an intro session and asking for advice from staff.
    If possible take a weightlifting course or seminar. I took one at the local university. They went through a lot of exercises and proper form.

As for weights, when I start a new exercise I start with a lighter weight and if I find its too light, then I move up to the next one.
    Don't be afraid of free weights. Some gyms also have posters explaining different exercises.

Guidelines for weights:
    Goldilocks ideal
    Keep proper form. If you cannot do 15 reps with proper form its too heavy
    If can do 15 reps easy peasy then its too light
    If you can do 10-15 reps and feel it, then its just right.

I was told that to get heart rate going and for fat burn, you should do LOW weights but HIGH number of reps. Then later on you can up the weights for toning/muscle build. I think this a general rule of thumb.

Good luck anyway!

^^And don't do this (I liked the rest of his advice but that is wrong)

Do 2-3 sets of up to 15 reps. You want to start with using those muscles and building strength. Fat is lost through calorie deficit not by fat burning.
    Or find a program like stronglifts and follow that.
    For abdominal exercises, squats, deadlifts, planks and leg ups. Don't waste your time with crunches or sit ups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Go very light the first couple of visits working on form. But don't be surprised if your muscles which aren't used to being used are quite sore for few days afterwards. After a few sessions that soreness won't kick in so badly after each workout.

As noted above, don't fear the free weights. Most of my workouts are exclusively with dumbbells.
  • MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options

+1 about the induction.
    When I first began I was 'inducted' into the gang and they show you how to operate and workout with proper form! Some machines also have instruction pictures on them so you shouldn't be too clueless as to how to operate them! Like mentioned before as well, 99% of the time the staff will be happy to assist also!

I completely agree with both of these. Go through with a trainer and learn how to use the equipment, and learn proper form. Good luck and have fun!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I second taking advantage of an intro session and asking for advice from staff.
    If possible take a weightlifting course or seminar. I took one at the local university. They went through a lot of exercises and proper form.

As for weights, when I start a new exercise I start with a lighter weight and if I find its too light, then I move up to the next one.
    Don't be afraid of free weights. Some gyms also have posters explaining different exercises.

Guidelines for weights:
    Goldilocks ideal
    Keep proper form. If you cannot do 15 reps with proper form its too heavy
    If can do 15 reps easy peasy then its too light
    If you can do 10-15 reps and feel it, then its just right.

Good luck anyway!

^^And don't do this (I liked the rest of his advice but that is wrong)

Do 2-3 sets of up to 15 reps. You want to start with using those muscles and building strength. Fat is lost through calorie deficit not by fat burning.
    Or find a program like stronglifts and follow that.
    For abdominal exercises, squats, deadlifts, planks and leg ups. Don't waste your time with crunches or sit ups.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This

Strong lifts is geared toward the beginner. As others have suggested...use the you tube videos, etc to get your form down. Dont sweat other people, just do your thing. There will likely be people of all shapes and sizes in there so dont feel self concious.

and good luck...come back and tell us how it went!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Most gyms offer a orientation day where they go over each machine and show you how to properly use it. I'd suggest that first.
  • Annadriel
    Options
    Thank you for these kind words. They help. I went there today, just to check in and they told me to come tomorrow morning. I will let u know, how did it go... ehmmm....
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    OP your gym should be willing to give you a free "introduction" menaing they will teach you how to use the machines that they offer. Most machines have visuals as well to follow. It can be initmidating but don't let this derail you. "Musclehads" will intimidate you, don't let them; I ignored them...looked beyond them if they were in my line of sight. They just weren't there in my mind, I wfocused on my goals and what I was there for.

As far as being damaging.... only if you have previous injuries. Then I would definately talk to a Dr but lifting weights is actualy proven to HELP both joints and bone strength in women. Start light, if you feel no real tension, then increase one plate at a time until doing a few reps starts to make you feel the "burn". The burn is good, but HEED it. The more you burn in the gym today, the more you (likely) will hurt tomorrow... still a good thing but you want to be able to function so don't push too hard at first. Get to know how your body reacts.

Keep with it! You will start to see changes within a couple of weeks if you are consistant and working those muscles.

GOOD LUCK!
  • gijimenez5
    Options
    Very good advice already posted on here. I just started in December, and I think the most important part is listening to your body. Your body will tell you that it's muscle failure or if something is off and you might be over exerting yourself. My nephew a physical trainer advised me to tone do more repetitions with light weights. To bulk up do heavy weights less reps.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Very good advice already posted on here. I just started in December, and I think the most important part is listening to your body. Your body will tell you that it's muscle failure or if something is off and you might be over exerting yourself. My nephew a physical trainer advised me to tone do more repetitions with light weights. To bulk up do heavy weights less reps.

^^ Your nephew needs some more education. That is old information and no longer valid.
    A lady will not bulk up at all by lifting heavy

But you are correct in listening to your body.
  • Annadriel
    Options
    I went there today and they scheduled me for tomorrow afternoon. They told me someone will show me how to use machines, so u were right :P. I will let u know how did it go tomorrow. Tnx again. (sorry because of my english, but it is not my native language since I live in Slovenia - Europe)
  • Annadriel
    Options
    Updating...
    Had to go yesterday, they told me all instructors are "in use", so they scheduled me for today. When I came there that woman told me she has no time for me today and put me on cardio, told me she will make me a list of workouts.... and this was it...
    I dont know if she will eventually show me how to use that machines or not.... I am quite disappointed to be honest and a bit down...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Updating...
    Had to go yesterday, they told me all instructors are "in use", so they scheduled me for today. When I came there that woman told me she has no time for me today and put me on cardio, told me she will make me a list of workouts.... and this was it...
    I dont know if she will eventually show me how to use that machines or not.... I am quite disappointed to be honest and a bit down...

If you are paying for a membership you are entitled to a proper orientation - I would take this up with the management at the gym. This type of thing doesn't exactly encourge you to keep going :(
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the experience. All gyms are different. I understand that you feel down, but we are here to help too. Maybe use the time to get the name of some machines that are available at the gym, and we can help you figure them out :)