Weighing Daily

Options

Replies

• NitaMoran
    NitaMoran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. Weighing daily is not good for me personally. I realize that for me, this has to be an overall change and not let the scale dictate my progress. Also, if one has began to use weights as part of their improvements, you may not see results on the scale but with body composition. Once a month for me. :)
  • iceyelf
    iceyelf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    if you get frustrated weighing once or twice a week I am not sure how daily is going to be better.
    I would think it would be more frustrating.

but try it , if you don't like it , or its making you more crazy then go back to weekly.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Not heard of the Libra App. I'll check it out. I use My Weight (ipad) because it links with my withings scale.
  • SwoleWheatPancakes
    Options
    I personally just weigh myself between sets at the gym which ends up being between 3-5 times a week. You have two choices really: one being to weigh yourself at the same state of fullness and hydration (hard) or to just take the average over two weeks and compare to the last two. Either way, if you don't like seeing your weight go up sometimes after working hard for a week, then I wouldn't recommend it.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh ins worked for me, I lost 54 pounds in four months. I loved the data that was given each day and it would allow me to see how different foods or workouts effected me. I only counted my Sunday weigh in though as my official weight loss for the week. In the end the math 99% of time worked out for me. I did and still weigh myself in the morning after I use the bathroom.

I wish you all the best of luck on your weight loss journey
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you are obsessive and freak out over any gains.. don't weigh daily.

I personally weigh daily so I can see trends. It also helps keep me on track. If I see a little gain I go back and check my sodium intake, how much water I drank that day, etc. That way I can *kitten* what might have caused the gain and if I need to make any fixes to what I am doing.

So if you wont freak out and you personally think it will work for you.. I say weigh daily.
    If you will freak out.. Don't.

But at the end of the day, the tape measure and the way your clothes fit speak MUCH loader than the scale. At least in my opinion. :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself almost daily, but I don't let the up and down fluctuations affect me, since I am on maintenance. It has been very interesting to see that my weight only goes up or down no more, and sometimes less, than a pound.

I am not so good about taking my measurements; I am 6 months behind schedule but since the clothes fit the same then I don't worry about it.

Edited to add that I don't keep track of my weight or fluctuations with any app or spreadsheet. I only count what I entered in this database when I reached my goal, and I take it from there.
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher, but a weekly recorder. I weigh every morning to keep motivated - if the scale goes down, I know what I'm doing is working, and if the scale goes up, it gives me something to think about. It has given me the ability to understand my natural weight fluctuations (like if I eat alot of sodium the night before I can expect 1-2 lbs difference, if it's that time of the month 3-5 lbs will hang around for a few days, etc.) and if I record weekly I still can see overall how my weight is trending. I find the daily data to be helpful, but like some of the other users have said I don't get upset if the scale goes up a 1/2 lb and I can't explain it.

I weigh first thing in the morning before I've eaten and just as I'm about to hop in the shower. It's kind of a daily reminder as well as to why this is important for me to be doing. I have my scale sitting in front of a full length mirror, so I also see myself every day to go along with the weight.

I track my measurements monthly.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started weighing daily about a week ago, and for me, it's helping me not to be neurotic about my weight. I also keep it on an excel spreadsheet with my previous day's exercise, my lift numbers for my big 4 lifts, and a monthly measurements check, so I'm not just looking at long columns reminding me whether or not I had dessert yesterday.

Once I committed to it and wrote off my weight as just some number, it's ...just sort of a thing I do - the thing that gets me out of bed and gets the coffee started - and I watch the fluctuations with a kind of detached curiosity. Ask your little internal freakout monster if it's going to freak out over fluctuations, and you'll have your answer.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I have an OCD type personality so frankly, I be quite obsessive about any movement on the scale weighing in daily, so it doesn't necessarily work for what I'm trying to accomplish (a lifestyle change). However, if you don't have the same issue, or are okay with experiencing it, then do it! You have to choose what works best for your personality.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the input, guys. Thank you.

My main reasoning for considering daily weigh-ins is to get a better understanding for how things affect my body. I won't be recording this on MFP or anything - it is only for me. I think understanding why my body does what it does will help keep me from getting frustrated. For example, if I know from experience water weight from a trip to Subway hangs around for two days, I won't be too upset when I see I'm up two days later.
  • fruitikay
    fruitikay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can't weigh daily because I am recovering from bulimia...I obsess too much over it. Just be careful that you don't obsess over it too much or you'll start weighing yourself 5-20 times in one day. Otherwise, go for it.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    For the most part I have been a daily weigher. I stopped for a while and did once or twice a week for a couple months, but I actually gained weight (Yes, my eating played a big part, couldn't stop myself from eating the Christmas cookies!). So I went back to daily weigh-in's. It's just better for me to track the daily trends, and know when I need to back off the sodium or drink more water.

Do you use a specific app, or do you remember your weights a different way?

Yup, the daily trends are exactly what I want to keep an eye on!

I don't use an app or anything, it just helps me mentally each morning to know where I'm at, and it helps with my motivation and eating for the day. I may actually look into getting an app, so let me know if you find a good one! Also, I only record on MFP if my weight is lower than the last recorded weight by at least a half pound.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Ipad users, there is a great app called Happy Scale which has little goals you can reach and also averages out your weigh ins and set a smooth trend line. I love it.
  • canadakim17
    canadakim17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in daily, but I don't let the # change my mood much, I use it more as a reference point. I only track my weight on here once a week, usually every Wed morning and I don't record the rest of the time (no reason for it being Wed, I just got into the habit)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and it is very motivating. I track mainly using a spreadsheet that I have which calculates a trend and a 10-day rolling average. It then compares those numbers to previous measurements to give me a current predicted range of weight loss. Like today, it estimates that my current weight loss is between 1.06 and 1.15 kg/week. I'm less focused on the exact number itself than I am on the fact that it's positive and above 0.4kg/week.

I feel like the people who resist daily weigh-ins because of fluctuations miss the point. They openly admit that weight can fluctuate by several pounds due to many factors, then they insist that weighing once a week will remove the effect of those fluctuations (while they know their rate of loss will be many times smaller than the magnitude of the fluctuations). Using averages to get a better approximation of your real weight, and then using successive approximations to determine the direction and magnitude of change is much more useful and less stressful.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, always have. Since logging my food too, I have learned alot about how my body reacts to which foods / hormones / etc. And was surprised by some of them.

I log my weight here daily including all fluctuations, plus I have an excel spread sheet, where I track different things along with my weight. I also calculate my weekly loss from Sunday to Saturday. I often have a big weekly loss, followed by 1-2 smaller ones. Seeing that has helped me accept my daily fluctuations and the different size losses, even when I know, I've done everything 'right'.

Weighing daily also keeps me a bit more accountable...but that is just me.
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I weigh twice a day :D lol, morning and night and know how much more I will weigh at night then in the morning lol
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh daily..anymore...I used to and for me, it become a crazy obsession. I weigh in weekly now. I did a challenge for November to not weigh in. It was definitely a challenge for me. I say do whatever works for ya!
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and love it, but you have to be prepared to watch yourself gain sometimes even when you do everything right. As long as normal fluctuation won't throw off your motivation then do it!