Discussing serving sizes with kids???

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would try to address the issue with broader strokes- like try to explain nutritional needs to her overall, rather than saying "you shouldn't have more cereal" or whatever (not that you said that). Give her an overview of how and why you want a balanced diet of different foods, and explain that it's better to choose a fruit instead of more cereal because it's part of meeting all your nutritional needs.

Use the resources here:
    http://www.nutrition.gov/life-stages/adolescents/tweens-and-teenshttp://www.nutrition.gov/life-stages/adolescents/tweens-and-teens

or maybe get her a book on teen nutrition so she can read it for herself.

totally this...frame the conversation around proper nutrition. My eldest boy is almost 4 and we regularly talk about nutrition and why he's getting either fruit or vegetables on his plate at every meal.
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Tell a 13 year old to count calories to be healthy and see what happens
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is tipping awfully close to you projecting your own insecurities onto her. she's 5'8" and 145 pounds which is a perfectly healthy range for her to be in. Yes she had three bowls of cereal, but I remember many a day (I'll insert here that in 5th grade I was 5'6", taller than most of my teachers, all classmates, and 103 pounds) where I ate more than one bowl of cereal. As long as she is active she IS healthy. She could have eaten 3 bowls of m & m's. Take a step back, check out your own issues (ie she's eating three bowls of cereal, so she's going to get fat like me) and just let her be. Promote healthy eating, certainly, but dont project your problems onto her at 13, you could end up with a Anorexic 16 year old.

I did not get this impression at all from the OP, it sounded to me like she wants to raise nutritional awareness in a sensitive way, so she doesn't impart any insecurities on her daughter. I think you may be projecting your insecurities and/or experiences on this OP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this discussion with my son early on to be honest.

For me it doesn't have to do with budget more with his health now.

He was a very active young man, tall and slim (almost skinny) and he ate like it....

In grade 12 he stopped being so active...still ate a lot...through college same thing...now he is over weight...and I am having a hard time explaining to him that his cereal serving is not 1...it's 5...

Mind you with the changes in my eating everyone in the house has changed as well (I still eat fruit loops tho) and he still have stuff for his lunches but he is getting more active again (job as a welder) so he is doing better with weight managment..

I think it's as important to discuss serving size and calories and weight management as it is finaces and budgets with kids and think it should be a mandatory course in school.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    I understand that she does not need to count her calories. She is still a child and is still growing. I am going back and forth on explaining these things to her. I don't want her to become worried about it. On the other hand, I want her to understand nutrition and making better choices.

In case you missed it in the original post....
  • vvvalentines
    Options
    Well, a 500+ calorie breakfast isn't that bad, honestly. A 13-year-old girl should eat around 2,000-2,200 calories daily, typically, and if she has 3 meals and a couple snacks, it's reasonable to have 500+ calories in any given meal and then some calories from snacks also.'

What kind of food does she eat at lunch and dinner? And remember, a "serving size" isn't necessarily the amount of food you should be eating at a given meal, it's more a unit of measure than anything. You can have several "servings" of one food at a meal if it's balanced by other foods throughout the day.
  • thatgorsuchkid
    Options
    Children under the age of thirteen eat to their metabolismic needs. My daughter is four, and she can consume an easy three bowls of cereal every morning. She eats all day, and I was actually trying to restrict her, because I thought the sugar would be unhealthy for her, but the doctors back in TN and my current doctor in VA all say the same thing, she is growing, and she will stop eating when her body tells her she is full. She can eat two grilled cheese sandwiches, and still have a belly growling. She is four ft tall, and weights 45-50 pounds. Very tall for her age. My little cousin Blake is six months older than her, and he hardly eats anything, but he is much smaller than her. I think about 32 pounds or so, and much shorter. I would consult the doctor just in case though. I would hate for you to get the wrong info from my experience lol. Good luck!!
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that you brought the whole calories and serving size to her attention...she may not be as active one day and at least she will be aware. I wish someone told me that when I was 14 and working at a Pizzaria.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I wish my parents had the knowledge to have these kinds of conversations with me when I was young enough, before I developed an unhealthy relationship with food (it tastes good, so I eat lots and lots!)

My son is 8, 4'6 and 65lbs. He does tae kwon do 3 nights a week and 4 hours of gym class a week (he's the kid that goes full out and comes back sweat). He lives for the outdoors, bikes, runs, climbs, etc. He is active as anything.

I do explain to him that he needs to eat good foods to be healthy and strong, and he understands.

The benefits to a healthy, balanced diet is the best way to explain! At 13, maybe you can mention about insulin spikes from the cereal, and why veggies/fruit/protein are needed to balance things out inside the body.

Is the 3-4 serving thing new or is she a big eater (that comes with being so active)? If it's new, it could be a growth spurt!
  • vvvalentines
    Options

Honestly, if someone had told me that at 13, I'd be a LOT healthier now.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My sons are very active 9 and 4 year olds. I try very hard to make sure they eat well-balanced meals. When they've had a bowl of cereal and are still hungry, I talk to them about what food group cereal comes from and what other groups there are to choose from and we decide together what else they are going to eat. I also limit snacks to one serving of a particular snack each day, so they don't eat all the granola bars on Monday, etc. They can have more than one snack, they just have to eat something different. I also talk to them about serving sizes, and encourage them to have one serving at a time, and then, if they truly are still hungry, come back for more. This keeps them from pouring an enormous bowl of cereal and then not being hungry enough to finish it.

Hope that helps!
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Get one of those pyramids of nutrition... or I think now they are rainbows...which say you should have X number of servings of fruit/ vegetables, dairy, protein, and grains...and that she needs to eat a variety of the 4 food groups...and also any cereal with more than 4 grms of sugar is really a dessert...and it's okay...to eat...but as a dessert. I always tell my kids they have to eat a 'real' breakfast, oatmeal, eggs, etc and then if they are still hungry eat the cereal... I remember my mom making me pay for my own sugar cereal...at 13 .. and so I ended up eating lots of corn flakes because she would by those. Hope these ideas help. Here's a link to the 4 food groups you can put on your fridge.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=4+food+groups+canada&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=lqPmUsWlFM3roATT9oKgAQ&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=490
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Well, a 500+ calorie breakfast isn't that bad, honestly. A 13-year-old girl should eat around 2,000-2,200 calories daily, typically, and if she has 3 meals and a couple snacks, it's reasonable to have 500+ calories in any given meal and then some calories from snacks also.'

What kind of food does she eat at lunch and dinner? And remember, a "serving size" isn't necessarily the amount of food you should be eating at a given meal, it's more a unit of measure than anything. You can have several "servings" of one food at a meal if it's balanced by other foods throughout the day.

Lunch is a sandwich (they choose between ham, turkey, or PB+J) some sort of fruit depending on what I buy for the week which is usually green grapes, halos, granny smith apples, or bananas, along with a yogurt, a cheese stick, and chips or crackers.

Her dinner specifically is usually around 6 ounces of meat (just from eye balling it, I don't weigh it) 2 servings of veggies (again eyeballing) and some sort or starch; common potatoes, corn bread or rice. She also has snacks when she comes home from school and those are usually the lance or keebler peanut butter crackers or nature valley granola bars. Again her calorie count is not my concern. Her understanding choices and balance is.
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would explain it to her in terms of the health value of the food. Explain that fruit (in your example) is a healthier choice than the cereal. Explain that it's ok to have "some" of the less healthy option but ask her to combine that with a healthy choice.

I wouldn't go into serving sizes, calories, etc. with a child or teenager, but they do need to be taught that some food choices are better for them than others.

Just my two sense.

This. I have a 6 year old in sports, she is in the 95th percentile for hieght and wieght, but is very slim and muscular. Yes, she could burn off the calories from junk all day long, but if she continues to keep those habits into adulthood she will gain weight like most previous althetes. Also, I wouldn't keep that kind of sugar laden cereal in the house personally. A) because it's not a very healthy food choice period and B) because I would probably devour the entire box when she went to bed. But that's just me. ;)