artifical sweetener...

Options
So...2 sweet n lows and a diet soda in one day.. is that bad for you?

Replies

• anghahnmowry
    Options
    i use alot of artifical sweetner, but I cut out soda all together. I think if you want a healthy lifestyle, you need to stay away from all artifical things...however, I'm just struggling to exercise and stay within my calories.. so I'll limit my artifical sweetner in the future. good luck!!
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Terrible. Artificial sweeteners are the downfall of our world and have horrible side effects. I recommend that EVERYONE get off them. If you have no education in this area of excitotoxins, rent the documentary "Sweet Misery". You'll never ingest an artificial sweetener again.
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    This topic came up 2 weeks ago and people get sooo mad about it lol I don't use them. Read whats in them and see what the web has to say
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    Avoid artificial sweeteners as if your life depended on it (which it does).
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

It isn't great for you, but neither is being overweight. This is one of those decisions each of us makes for ourselves, based on our individual situation.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

It isn't great for you, but neither is being overweight. This is one of those decisions each of us makes for ourselves, based on our individual situation.

Exactly.

To the OP I have used sweeteners for over 20 years, regularly, every single day for tea and coffee.

There are a hell of a lot worse things to have in our bodies, cigarettes, alcohol, too much fat, too much salt, too little salt, too much sugar, too many sweets, processed foods, fruits stored too long, fruits stored in the light, vegetables the same, too much fast food and last, but not least, obsession that leads to virtual disablement because some people will be too damned frightened to eat anything, lest they ingest the wrong thing......
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I agree.
    2 sweet n lows and a diet soda wont kill you.
    Sure, its not the best thing out there....but there are certainly worse things.

Just be aware of the panic bandwagon. Red meat will kill you and the environment! Artificial sweeteners will rot you from the inside out! There's always something to be afraid of. Everything in moderation.
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    Unless you're having 20 times that amount a day every day you've got nothing to worry about. Everyone panics over something. Artificial sweeteners are no better or worse for you than high fatty foods or going out to eat at a restaurant every once in awhile where most dishes have 2000+ mg of sodium in them. Heck, regular cane sugar will kill you just as fast as everything else.

Don't worry. Stress will do you in before artificial sweetners ever will.
  • sbusch21
    Options
    This is so true. I was raised by a diabetic parent, so I have always used artificial sweeteners. So, for 20 years I have been using them regularly in food, on food, and in drinks...and I'm still alive, I don't have an extra arm, and nothing bad has happened to me because of artificial sweeteners. People are ridiculous when it comes to artificial sweeteners, it takes an exorbitant amount of artificial sweetener to cause problems. 2 artificial sweeteners and a diet coke are not going to kill you, there are far worse things you can do to your body.
  • biguglymouth76
    Options
    artificial sweeteners are the worst thing you can put in your body, the only one I would say is the exception is stevia if used sparingly. For a period of 5 years or so I drank 5-6 cans of Pepsi Max a day and chewed Extra gum when I wasn't eating at the same times my knees ached when I would first start working out...about 6 months ago I quit having all artificial sweeteners and after about 2 months my knee discomfort was a thing of the past which makes sense because it takes 5-8 weeks to get the chemicals from these sweeteners out of your system.

The 2 substances you should avoid while dieting is High Fructose Corn Syrup and Artificial sweeteners.

I try to avoid sugars in general I have 8oz. of 100% Pomegranate juice with breakfast but the heath benefits outweigh the risks.
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    Stevia and Acesulfame-K are only products that the scientists have questioned the safety. I have used nutrasweet since it came out in Canada in the 60s and I have used a LOT of it with no side effects or problems. There has been a lot of misinformation on the internet about them, but if you ask registered dietitions, who have at least a bachelors if not a masters in nutrition and who work in hospitals, both sucralose and aspertame are considered to be safe by the medical community as a whole. The rumors to the contrary have yet to be proven by scientists, but it is known that some people report headaches after consuming them and may have a personal intollerance similar to an allergy. I never have. But I do get a bad headache after drinking a regular coke with sugar in it so I avoid sugar. Many scientists do suspect high fructose corn syrup as triggering adult onset diabetes; it is known that it does not trigger the release of insulin like sucrose does and diabetics absulutely need to avoid it. I avoid old wives tales that are spread by the internet and by unqualified so called experts, too. Much of it is hear say or is fabricated.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The truth is, artificial sweeteners are not good for your body and are not conducive to weight loss. When you eat or drink something sweet your body/brain interprets it as a form of sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose, lactose, etc.) and your body produces insulin so that your kidneys and liver can absorb the sugar from your blood stream. But when this happens it prevents your body from converting body fat into energy. So your body just uses what sugar may be in your blood stream for energy. And if you don't have sugar from the food you're eating or the drink you're drinking because it has a non-sugar sweetener, your organs use what little sugar may be in your blood stream which then causes you to be hypoglycemic. And hypoglycemia forces you to eat or drink more. So you end up having to consume more calories and your body doesn't burn its fat stores. Artificial sweeteners are extremely counterproductive for those trying to lose weight.
  • biguglymouth76
    Options
    The truth is, artificial sweeteners are not good for your body and are not conducive to weight loss. When you eat or drink something sweet your body/brain interprets it as a form of sugar (fructose, glucose, sucrose, lactose, etc.) and your body produces insulin so that your kidneys and liver can absorb the sugar from your blood stream. But when this happens it prevents your body from converting body fat into energy. So your body just uses what sugar may be in your blood stream for energy. And if you don't have sugar from the food you're eating or the drink you're drinking because it has a non-sugar sweetener, your organs use what little sugar may be in your blood stream which then causes you to be hypoglycemic. And hypoglycemia forces you to eat or drink more. So you end up having to consume more calories and your body doesn't burn its fat stores. Artificial sweeteners are extremely counterproductive for those trying to lose weight.

well said
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Well I am on maintenance now, have lost 41lbs and was having sweeteners the whole time I was losing weight.

They definitely did not ruin my attempts and they most certainly did not cause me to eat or drink more in any way, shape or form.

Therefore, I would say they are not counterproductive, they are just low in calories compared to sugar or honey in my tea and coffee.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you have to use artificial sweeteners, use them just during the time you are losing weight. They have terrible effects in the long run. Personally, when I consume them, I get intense pressure headaches, but it depends on the individual.

Try Agave Nectar. Natural food stores usually have them. If you can't find them in your supermarket, ask for assistance. Although they have calories, they are low glycemic and will not mess with your sugar level very much.