What cardio can I do that is not too hard on the legs?

Options
I did an intense workout yesterday and my legs are killing me today. Tons of squats/lunges/plyometrics. My hamstrings/glutes and quads are screaming. I would like to get some cardio in, but definitely would not be able to run/jog on the treadmill and I'd really like to give my legs a rest today.

Is there anything I can do that is not hard on the legs?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Or, you can walk till your legs warm up, then running shouldn't be a problem.

Rigger
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Swimming. Or, you can walk till your legs warm up, then running shouldn't be a problem.

Rigger

Thanks. Don't know how to swim, so that's out. I may try to do some brisk walking and see how I feel.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    swim, ride a bike.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Got a kayak? You'll also need water.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    cycling?
  • SINCLL0007
    Options
    Rowing - exercises more muscle groups than almost all other exercises. And will give you lots of cardio depending on your exertion level. And...no impact on your knees, hips like running or treadmill work.
  • schante78
    Options
    Try working out on an elliptical in intervals.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    I did an intense workout yesterday and my legs are killing me today. Tons of squats/lunges/plyometrics. My hamstrings/glutes and quads are screaming. I would like to get some cardio in, but definitely would not be able to run/jog on the treadmill and I'd really like to give my legs a rest today.

Is there anything I can do that is not hard on the legs?

You shouldn't work the same body part two days in a row if you're doing intense muscle-group focused workouts. Nor should you do the same type of cardio every day. An elliptical machine is much easier on the your joints than treadmills. You could also try cycling or rowing machine.
  • radeey
    radeey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i used to run treadmill and run outdoors, now because i have certain knee issues i only do spinning . i have two spinning bikes and use at least 3-4 times per week rigorous workout and full sweat. you can purchase spinning bikes online at walmart .com not real expensive. i love this intense workout and its not hard on my joints.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Rowing - exercises more muscle groups than almost all other exercises. And will give you lots of cardio depending on your exertion level. And...no impact on your knees, hips like running or treadmill work.

This... I LOVE rowing... very good workout.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Seated boxing.
    Chair aerobics.

However, if your legs are in pain, you should consider going for a walk - getting the blood flowing has been shown to help the pain.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings...
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    depends on your leg issue. I have a knee issue - I tore my MCL a few months ago and I had knee issues from before.
    I do Aqua Fit and it's fantastic for low to zero impact. Rowing is surprisingly low impact on knees and legs. Treadmills and elliptical trainers are not a good idea at all, with impact and not natural range of motion. But yeah - swimming and aqua fitness are fantastic - a light Zumba might be okay - like Zumba gold or something. but keep it light and easy and slowly get into different things.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Nor should you do the same type of cardio every day.

There is nothing wrong with doing the same type of cardio every day. I run 4 times a week and I haven't had any negative effects from it. As long as you keep up the intensity there's no reason to switch up your cardio.

OP: Try a light walk. In all honesty when my legs are super sore from an intense workout I find that running or walking actually loosens them up and they become less sore.
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    when you have major leg pain too make sure that after your workouts that you are stretching and not forcing yourself - only go to where you can feel it - no further!! Make sure that you are getting some form of milk product afterwards to replace your lactic acid - when lactic acid builds up - that is not good. If you are in severe pain or your legs and feet are swelling then you should go and see your dr. it could be Rhabdo. so this happens when you do too much too soon. Scary stuff. Crossfit and boot camp participants can get this. But remember to warm up for a few minutes and then do some LIGHT stretching and then get into your work-out. for your pain - try warm and then cold. Warm bath with salts. It can take 3-5 days for your muscles to get back to normal. Don't push yourself so hard - stretching is HUGE only stretch warm muscle and only to the point of where you can feel it. Hope you feel better soon. Swimming is fantastic for working those muscles out. Feel better soon.
    :happy:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing. Best workout for me.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hit a punching bag which requires much more exertion than shadow boxing. If you never done it, be sure to use wraps or support gloves to protect your wrists and hit at 50% force. Don't have a punching bag then use a mattress or stuff a trash bag full of clothes. If you do rapid successions with impact, you'll be bone tired in 30 min.
  • barbatteberysmith
    barbatteberysmith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't have to know how to swim to do a very complete workout in the pool. I do alot of jogging in the pool at least a 30 minutes 5 times a week. I am very heavy , I could not jog on dry land. But I have worked very hard in water. Have lost 3 inches and 10 lbs in 3 weeks. All water workouts
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will try rowing or just walking. I don't have access to a pool or water, so those are probably my best options.

No pain in my joints, just sore from too many squats and lunges.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Swimming or walking