Hair shedding?

Options
The last couple of months I have been shedding hair like crazy. It doesn't look like it is thinning, but every time I comb it big clumps come out. I did some research and found that shedding can be caused by weight loss. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you are doing low calories, it will.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is generally a problem when you aren't getting enough calories, or the right combinations of macro- and micro- nutrients. Are you on a VLCD diet? Do you frequently eat way under your goal? Have you tried to go on a really low-fat diet? All of those things could cause hair loss.

If it's a sudden change from what you're used to and you don't think you're messing up the nutrition side of things, you should see a doctor. Have some blood tests done to make sure nothing else is wrong.
  • PaulaCLamb
    Options
    My hairstylist recommended Iron supplement..
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Long term calorie deficit can lead to more than hair loss.

I'm fond of mentioning this: 4 orthopedic surgeries and 2 bone grafts later, learn from my fail. Supplement your diet if you can't fit in enough nutrients to keep from losing the wrong body tissues. But mainly, eat more. Eat more nutritious foods. Lose slowly.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor ... there are lots of causes of hair loss including thyroid conditions. Medical care is the best advice
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You might be undereating, my hair started to get fuller when I started to eat more for strength training.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I had this. Upping my protein and really focusing on getting it all helped. I also added another 100 calories onto my day (but I still go over sometimes to get all my protein and fiber, no biggie!). I also started using mustard seed oil with fenugreek and that's helped a lot. So many products seemed to make the shedding worse, so I just started using natural things and focused on my scalp health. I saw an improvement within a few weeks. But when it's weight loss, really focus on diet. That's what made the biggest difference for me. Good luck!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This happens to me and I have iron-deficiency anemia.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The average person loses 80 hairs a day. At least thats what I learned in beauty school. Low fat diets, low potein, even hair bands can cause hair loss/breakage.

Try taking biotin, its like hair crack, and sleep on a silk pillow case. If you can, switch to bobby pins instead of hair bands
  • swalewis
    swalewis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hair loss (along with weight loss) when I was eating nutritionally and healthily and trying to maintain my weight was a symptom that led to my unexpected diagnosis of high blood sugar and Type 2 diabetes. My body was no longer getting nutrients from my food. Like other posters mention, if you aren't eating enough calories or not the right nutrition, it can be reflected in hair loss/health. If you are eating well and haven't had blood work done recently, I strongly recommend it.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would mention it at your next doctor appointment. I have had some hair loss over the past few years. Not enough to look balding but enough to make my hair noticeably thinner and scare the he!l out of me. I've come to the conclusion that I have some seriously imbalanced hormones, possibly PCOS, and a lot of stress. All 3 are things that can cause hair loss. I'm not saying any of these things are wrong with you, this is just my experience. If it is concerning you tell the doctor about it and see what they say. Best of luck.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I aim for a 1000 calorie deficit. Sometimes I go over and sometimes I go under. My average tends to be around 1100. I don't do low fat at all. I average 46% fat, 39% carbs, and 15% protein. I think my goal is 50/30/20, but I don't really concern myself with that too much. I just make an effort to get as much fat as I can, otherwise I feel like garbage. I do take a prenatal (I'm not pregnant, it's just that prenatal vitamins seem to have more good stuff in them).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I really do think that's why they recommend no less than 1200 calories for women. It's just very hard to get all the nutrients you need in fewer calories. Add in any little malabsorption issue or habit (like my drinking coffee or calcium with foods that have iron) and it's easy to become deficient in something important.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    From your ticker, it appear you have a significant amount of weight to lose. 1100 is probably too low of a goal.
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    I aim for a 1000 calorie deficit. Sometimes I go over and sometimes I go under. My average tends to be around 1100. I don't do low fat at all. I average 46% fat, 39% carbs, and 15% protein. I think my goal is 50/30/20, but I don't really concern myself with that too much. I just make an effort to get as much fat as I can, otherwise I feel like garbage. I do take a prenatal (I'm not pregnant, it's just that prenatal vitamins seem to have more good stuff in them).

1000 calorie deficit is too big, 500 max is recommended for healthy weight loss.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

And there's the answer: too big a deficit (assuming the OP meant daily). Try increasing food, especially fat and protein, lower carbs a bit perhaps. ADEQUATE nutrient dense foods will likely resolve this. Contrary to MFP macro defaults of 30% fat, 50% fat is a bare minimum and I would recommend more.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Werewolf diet?
  • bluedolphin2828
    bluedolphin2828 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, Hair shedding is one of the major symptoms of an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism). My hair started falling out and clogging up the plug hole, my skin got really dry and I was tired all the time. I also put on all the weight I'm now trying to get rid of. Definitely go to the doctor to have a blood test if you're feeling tired and have dry skin as well. You'll be on thyroxine for the rest of your life but it does help.
  • fushigi1988
    Options
    Percentages don't really matter that much, I prefer atleast 50% carbs, since I am quite active at work and with working out.
    If high fat works for you and you feel good with that, go for it, but please eat more.
    Shedding a lot of hair is not healthy. Do you also have cold hands/feet?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Your deficit is too large. Also, I'd up your protein. Speaking from my own experience when I tried to eat too low on both calories and protein. But as another user said, it wouldn't hurt to check with a doctor to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

A link with some good info if interested:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html