Rapid vs. Gradual weight loss

Options
the MFP defaults recommend gradual weight loss at about a pound a week. I was just reading an article about rapid vs gradual weight loss, which says that we basically have a window of about 6 months before we loose motivation and that those who are more aggressive (not to the unhealthy extreme) about their weight loss are far more likely to hit their target than those on the slow pathway.

Read more here. http://www.news.com.au/national/want-to-lose-that-flab-then-do-it-fast-says-unconventional-approach/story-e6frfkvr-1225892388535

I was just wondering how many people use the default settings of a pound a week and how many have increased it beyond a pound?

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    I think that you should lose weight gradually because what you are really trying to do is teach yourself better lifetime eating habits. You may be able to lose weight fast for about six months but if you quit eating healthy you will gain it all back. The key to sustained weight loss is lifetime, lifestyle change.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    the MFP defaults recommend gradual weight loss at about a pound a week. I was just reading an article about rapid vs gradual weight loss, which says that we basically have a window of about 6 months before we loose motivation and that those who are more aggressive (not to the unhealthy extreme) about their weight loss are far more likely to hit their target than those on the slow pathway.

Read more here. http://www.news.com.au/national/want-to-lose-that-flab-then-do-it-fast-says-unconventional-approach/story-e6frfkvr-1225892388535

I was just wondering how many people use the default settings of a pound a week and how many have increased it beyond a pound?

I work towards 2 to 2.5 lbs per week or 10 lbs per month. I have been doing this since June 25th and have met my goals every month. I am 1 lb away from meeting my Thanksgiving goal and 11 lbs away from my Christmas goal.
  • Chelsey8D
    Options
    I try to eat healthy and exercise when I have time. I aim to lose more than 1 or 2 lbs a week, which sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.
    I believe if you can lose more than what MFP recommends in a healthy way, then go for it!
    The controversy is that if you lose weight fast to get to your goal, you will go back to your original lifestyle and gain it back again (referred to as yo-yo-ing). But if you can take the weight off fast and maintain a healthy lifestyle to keep it off, good for you.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    I have my goals set to lose 1 pound per week, but I've been loosing 2+ pounds per week, averaging 10 pounds per month... I have no idea why because I usually eat most of my allotted calories each day. But I'm not complaining! :)
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goals have always incorporated a weight loss target of 2 pounds a week, and I have been highly successful in that regard. I have been watching what I eat and leaving my fat along gorgeous mountain trails. Since the weather started turning cooler in October, I have switched to indoor activity. I was worried that I would stop seeing results, but it turns out that those fears have been shattered. I haven't been losing weight as quickly, but I am increasing muscle mass. The conventional wisdom says to limit the loss to no more than two pounds a week, but I have had weeks where it's been more and others where it has been less.

I don't like the premise of this article that seems to be promoting rapid weight loss and the expectation for fast results. Yes, it may be more motivational to see large numbers of pounds coming off quickly, but even the article mentions the fact that those who lose weight slowly are more likely to keep it off. This study has not followed up on the participants ability to keep the weight off. If they do, then the conventional wisdom may need to be reevaluated.

Also, rapid weight loss in this article is defined as 1.5 kg / week, which translates to 3.3 pounds / week.

Bottom line: This is one study that is making a sensational claim that doesn't appear to show any further corroboration for it's findings. This, to me, is a red flag that further evaluation is needed to see if it holds true for a broader range of subjects and the substantiation of being a long-lasting approach to health and wellness.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on many factors including, personality, health, and commitment.

Off the bat I would suggest health. If you feel weak then slow down. You may feel hungry but it's weakness that is the alarm.

PS. I'm not a doctor.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have tried the rapid loss diets. I usually wound up sick, or just stopped and gained it all back Plus.

I never learned correct eating habits so went back to my old ways.

This time has been different. I just joined this site. Was at another for a while. I did bump my default setting up to 1.8 a week. But I generally lose anywhere from .5 to 1.5 a week. I don't consider it a diet in the normal sense of the word but more of a lifestyle change.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hope they are wrong at some point cuz my weight loss is totally gradual. My body has to get used to not carrying those extra pounds and then - after a couple weeks of keeping it off - it'll let loose of another pound or more and THEN it takes another two weeks for THAT loss to "set in."

Thanks for the post and the motivation to kick it up to get results. That is one of the common demoninators I am finding in other's posts that have achieved their goal weight is that you have to try harder the closer you get to your goal. Of course it's easier to try harder the closer you get. So, I guess that means we can do this!!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    If you lose motivation then you're going to gain the weight back anyway. If you enjoy losing weight fast, I hope you enjoy losing a lot of muscle as well as fat -- because that's what's going to happen. You can try to justify it all you want. It's a lifestyle change, an entire life of eating healthy and keeping weight off. If you lose gradual weight, when you get to your "goal" weight, you'll look a lot better, and feel a lot better.
  • LovinHISWORD
    LovinHISWORD Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    we all get un-motivated at times, but it's got to be a lifetime thing, not a 3 or 6 months thing.. I lose weight very gradual, but I usually gain very gradual too, and I think if you lose fast, you're apt to gain fast.. Whats the big hurry. Enjoy each day, enjoy your food and just enjoy the journey you're on.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have been here almost 8 months now and I have not lost any motivation. My weight came off faster the first few months, but I also had a lot more to lose. Now I am averaging a little more than a pound a week. I found that when I was trying to lose 1.5 per week, I eventually came to a standstill and then had to scale it back and take in some more calories in order to keep losing.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I set my goals to 2 lbs/week, I've averaged 3/lbs week since starting in July. I've also got a lot to lose, so it's okay to lose a little more a week. Even losing faster, I feel the changes I've made will stick with me. It doesn't feel like "work" anymore, it's just the way I live. I think as much as losing weight, I'm excited to feel eating well and exercising becoming a habit. I plan to lower my goal as I get closer to my goal so I can gradually build up to maintenance calories and not shock my body.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I definitely have my settings at a pound a week. I have never been a dieter and I do not look at this as typical dieting but more as a way of figuring out how to balance exercise and calories to reverse my slow gain to a slow loss and someday a way of maintaining a stable weight. When I have time to spend more time on this sometimes I set my goal calories to 1.5 and get more exercise. The one time I lost more than a pound or two a week my body took a while to lose again. I have stayed ahead of my goal of a pound a week but I have not been at this for 6 months. If I only have 6 months to lose I would prefer to slowly lose what I can for 6 months and then maintain until I am able to start back again. I am in this for the long haul one way or another. There are people on here losing while eating over the calories for 1 pound a week. With my calories set at 1 pound a week I do not really feel I am depriving myself of much less than what I would want to eat any way so I am not really expecting a problem at 6 months. However I do expect to hit some kinks now and then especially as i get closer to my goal weight. What I can say is that I am consistent logging my food and staying under on my calorie goal. I do not stop going to family dinners or even eating out I just adjust with exercise of with the rest of my day and I would rather avoid going out for other reasons anyway. I need to learn to do this anyway. MFP gives me the tools I need to do that. Before I was on here I tried to lose by exercise alone and it didn't work well for me.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set at 1.5lbs a week but I average slightly more than that. I find that I'm really dedicated to being ACCOUNTABLE and that for me has helped me the most. When people hear that I've lost 33lbs in 105 days they are shocked even though that's not more than 2lbs a week or anything "extreme"

For me I NEED something "big" in those first 6 months to help me push through the last 6 months when it is going to get harder to hit my final goal weight. I'll be able to look back and see how well I have already done and be able to keep that motivation going.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It will be interesting to see what the follow up over the next 3 years shows. My guess is that those on the quick loss diet gain it back at some point. Everyone I know that lost it quick gained at least half of it back within 2 years. It would also be interesting to see who funded the experiment in the first place.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel that you are setting yourself up for a hugh weight gain if you try and lose the weight rapidly.
    By doing that, you are not learning about various food groups that can help you in the long run.
    I know that if it was up to most people, they wish the weight can just disappear.
    So you should if you can take the time to losing weight and educate your self so that you are prepared for a whole new lifestyle change.
    I am making the statement above because I have experience the yo-yo diets of losing the weight fast (I I have did that several times) only to gain more weight that I originally started with.
    I once lose 61 pounds within 5 months, a little over 10 pounds a month, but didn't learn anything about the food groups and started to eat like I did before I lost all of that weight. Well to make a long story short, I gained about 80 pounds within 7 months.
    To make matters worse, I went on another diet again and lost the weight only to gain it back with an extra 20 pounds.

If you have the patients, take your time while losing the weight and educate yourself because in the long run that will help you a lot more. That is what I am doing so that this time the weight stays off for good.....
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I find that gradual weight loss is the best way. loosing a lb a week. learning good eatting habits and incorperating that into your lifestyle for life. Having an exercise routine is a must have! I successfully knocked off my last Christmas weight gain of 4kgs (approx: 7lbs) As soon as I boosted my swimming training sessions and stuck to my diet as recommended on "myfitnesspal" I have maintained my new healthy and dare I say: superstar weight of 53kgs, since summer.:bigsmile: