Noob, what am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi, I am 5'6" currently weigh 204 lbs. I have lost 7 lbs but have stalled for some reason.
I have always been skinny until about 2 yrs ago, and after I hit 40's. I broke ankle then had series of surgeries that kept me off my feet. I have to ease back to activity because I have a peripheral neuropathy that can get aggravated with exercise. Dr. Recommended the new Wii fit for the Wii u console.

I have been trying to eat close to 1200 calories a day. I have been pretty close, even though my diary might not reflect it.
I cut out all fried foods I'm not using sugar or substitutes of any kind. I also Cut back big time on breads. I'm also drinking more water than I used to and trying to drink more as I go. I stopped eating cakes and candy, and have been really proud of how well I'm doing. I eat lots of green beans broccoli and cauliflower along with leafy salads.

I used to not have any breakfast, so I started having a gnc lean shake in the mornings or like today I had 2 eggs instead.

I know salt intake is a problem for me, but I'm not eating more than I used to. I use lots of fresh things like onions, green peppers, limes, cilantro to add flavor to the salads I'm eating lots of. I'm making sure I eat dark leafy veggies like spinach.

I started adding walking and stepping to my day as I have been pretty sedentary.

I haven't lost an inch since the first 7 lbs, which alternate between 5 and 7 lbs depending on the day.

I'm taking supplements like garcinia Cambodia, green coffee beans, l-carnitine, zinc, magnesium and calcium on a daily basis.

What am I doing wrong or what can I change to increase my metabolism.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh every item you're eating? How confident are you in your reported calories each day? How consistent are you when it comes to logging everything, every day? And how long have you been stalled?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I would guess you should eat more. Cut out the supplements and eat some food. I don't see any reason for you to not eat 1500 calories per day.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working at it?

Weight loss is not linear - as long as the general trend is downward, you are doing it right.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Setting your diary to public might help you get more personalized advice. You can open it by going to Settings > Diary Settings > Public
    I cut out all fried foods I'm not using sugar or substitutes of any kind. I also Cut back big time on breads. I stopped eating cakes and candy

This will have little to no impact on weight loss. Calories are all that matters for weight loss. Carbs, sugar, fried foods, may or may not help with body composition, energy levels, general health, etc. It's okay to have all of these things in moderation and many of us would encourage you to fit some of them into your day, as long as they aren't bumping out other foods with important vitamins, protein, etc.
    I'm also drinking more water than I used to and trying to drink more as I go. ... and have been really proud of how well I'm doing. I eat lots of green beans broccoli and cauliflower along with leafy salads.

Great job!
    I used to not have any breakfast, so I started having a gnc lean shake in the mornings or like today I had 2 eggs instead.

Breakfast and other meal timings have little to no affect on weight loss. For some people breakfast will keep them feeling fuller and give them increased focus and energy throughout the day. Others report the opposite. As long as skipping breakfast doesn't affect your mood, energy, or cause you to overeat later in the day, it's totally okay to skip it.

I started adding walking and stepping to my day as I have been pretty sedentary.

Again, great job! Try to add some strength/resistance training as you go forward, but every bit of activity helps!
    I haven't lost an inch since the first 7 lbs, which alternate between 5 and 7 lbs depending on the day.

Weight loss takes time and sometimes we stall out after the initial losses. Give it a little while for your body to adjust.
    I'm taking supplements like garcinia Cambodia, green coffee beans, l-carnitine, zinc, magnesium and calcium on a daily basis.

You can skip the weight loss supplements. Their main purpose in this world seems to be to make your wallet lighter. There's been no scientific proof that they're anything more than a placebo.
    What am I doing wrong or what can I change to increase my metabolism.

Exercise and building muscle are about the only ways to increase metabolism. Otherwise, work hard, try to be as accurate as possible with your logging (a food scale is the best tool you can buy for less than $20), and keep going!
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    If your 5'6 and 204
    1200 isn't even CLOSE to enough
    Go to Scoobysworkshop.com and learn your REAL net calories
    Than you'll start loseing
    Your body is getting angry at that low of an amount lol
    But for real mfp doesn't calculate calories right or even close to right
  • maritzalahodik
    maritzalahodik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Made my diary public.
    I have been doing this for about 3 months. The 7kbs I originally lost, we're lost shortly after I had surgery, so I'm not even sure those lbs should count.

I will start using a food scale today. I know my caloric intake is on the low side so I wasn't too worried about weighing my foods, I will start doing this as of tomorrow.

I really would like to see the scale dip below the 200 mark, never in my life have I been heavier than 165,so being over 200 is really affecting my self esteem which makes me not want to go anywhere or do much. I know it's a vicious cycle.

Thanks for all the comments.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    STEP ONE
    Log your food every day.

STEP TWO
    Eat AT LEAST 1200 calories per day (preferably probably more like 1500)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Made my diary public.
    I have been doing this for about 3 months. The 7kbs I originally lost, we're lost shortly after I had surgery, so I'm not even sure those lbs should count.

I will start using a food scale today. I know my caloric intake is on the low side so I wasn't too worried about weighing my foods, I will start doing this as of tomorrow.

I really would like to see the scale dip below the 200 mark, never in my life have I been heavier than 165,so being over 200 is really affecting my self esteem which makes me not want to go anywhere or do much. I know it's a vicious cycle.

Thanks for all the comments.

Do you log somewhere off site? I went back through the 9th and saw about 4 days actually logged. Sometimes I skip days on here, too, but I always log on paper when I can't be online. If you're not logging it's really easy to lose track of how much you're actually eating.

And 1200 calories is the minimum safe recommended for sedentary women. Unless you're under the care of a doctor please consider eating to goal instead of so far below it.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I suspect you're probably not eating back your exercise calories which probably has you NETTING around 1000 cal/day.... which is too low for someone with your stats.

I'm 5'2, 172lbs.... I eat atleast 1500 cals/day and lose approx .5-1lb week limiting white carbs (bread, pasta and the like), no fast food, very little processed food... with little cardio... mostly lifting as exercise. Are you incorporating strength training into your workouts? You really should to avoid muscle loss.

Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1) eat enough food
    2) weigh everything you eat.

I'm 5'5" and I've been losing eating 1600 since I started, and I don't even exercise that much.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Use the food scale as you have already been told, and really you have to be as accurate as you can with logging your food. That's when you need to be brutally honest with yourself. If you eat it or drink it log it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Step 1- weigh your food.
    Step 2- log your food.

Step 3-be really surprised that you've been eating a whole lot more calories than you think.

Step 4-once you figure out how many calories you're actually eating (by weighing and logging), use a reasonable deficit to ache have weight loss. And continue to weigh and log to make sure you're actually only eating that many calories.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If your 5'6 and 204
    1200 isn't even CLOSE to enough
    Go to Scoobysworkshop.com and learn your REAL net calories
    Than you'll start loseing
    Your body is getting angry at that low of an amount lol
    But for real mfp doesn't calculate calories right or even close to right

^^ This
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    With your age and gender is it possible you are going through "that" change?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Step 1- weigh your food.
    Step 2- log your food.

Step 3-be really surprised that you've been eating a whole lot more calories than you think.

Step 4-once you figure out how many calories you're actually eating (by weighing and logging), use a reasonable deficit to ache have weight loss. And continue to weigh and log to make sure you're actually only eating that many calories.

QFT

Buy a food scale. They are cheap on amazon & make a world of difference in your logging. I was eating WAY more than I thought.

and your calories are too low - I think your body is in store mode because you are not giving it enough fuel. I am curious what MFP set your daily calories at when you entered your info as that would already be a deficit and if you are trying to be close to 1200 you are probably way too low.
  • pansyviolet
    Options
    It really sounds like you are not eating enough, that alone will slow your weight loss.
    But don't get discouraged you'll make your goal.
    Be careful some of the comments are very hurting and rude.