Pre and post workout snack/meal ideas please!

Options
Hey everyone. I'm getting bored of the small meals/snacks I eat before my workout, and the typical yogurt or protein shake afterwards. My personal trainer said absolutely protein afterwards to help muscle recovery, but she said that before working out, just make sure it's a healthy meal and not a simple yogurt or protein shake. She explained a balanced meal, whether I eat breakfast or it's a snack after I leave work.

Can I get some snack or small meal ideas that I can use for when I cannot get home to eat before or after the gym? Like perhaps stuff on-the-go? And also can I get some ideas as what I can do at home?

I DO NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER OR PEANUT FLAVORED/INCLUDED THINGS!!!! So anything with peanut butter is out of the question. Peanuts and peanut butter make me vomit - it's a food allergy unfortunately.

Thank you in advance. I'm open to anything pre-packaged or that I can easily cook and refrigerate or freeze!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have one of those little Hamilton Beach blenders and I can carry it with me if I have to, but I make these at home. I use the same cup and just rinse it out so it's less dishes to do, but I bet these would work for you on the go too. I workout when I get up, and I'm usually tired, so I make a kind of protein latte:
    1 cup Coffee
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
    Blend it up and it's delish. It gives me energy and it doesn't make my tummy upset when I do start to workout. Sometimes I get sick if I eat prior to my workouts. Not a pretty site. Then I have a fruit smoothie afterwards which is:
    1/2 cup Frozen Berries
    1/2 Banana
    1 cup Kale, Spinach, or Swiss Chard (whatever is cheapest at the store that week)
    1 cup Almond Milk or Orange Juice (I switch depending on my mood)
    1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
    Blend blend blend. I like sweet in the mornings (especially pastry!), so these work really well for me and for my workouts. Hope you get some good ideas!
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You could do an Almond Butter "Oatmeal"

1 small apple (Sliced and cored)
    2-3T Organic Fresh Ground Almond Butter (found in Whole Foods Bulk)
    1t Cinnamon*
    1 packet of Stevia**
    salt to taste

Place almond butter inside blender, then apples with cinnamon and stevia and blend until it resembles oatmeal. Enjoy!

*if you don't like cinnamon eliminate or cut in half.
    **You can also use a small teaspoon of agave.

Or if you feel like something a little more like a "bar"

http://food52.com/recipes/24594-cindy-s-power-bar-balls
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Can almond butter be found in Shop Rite? Because the closest Whole Foods or Wegman's is 30 mins away.