too much too soon?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsEdge928
    MrsEdge928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Based on MFP's BMI calculator, it takes 1429 calories to run your body per day, with no activity.

If you add your exercise calories per day to that number, you'll get your approximate TDEE (this does not factor in non exercise activity).

For example, if you burn say 500 calories per day running for 1-2 hours, your TDEE would be around 1929.

If you eat anywhere in BETWEEN 1429 and 1929, you would lose weight.

This is simply a guide, you will have to adjust your intake until you start to see a downward movement in weight.

I recommend lowering intake by 100 calories every 3 weeks - 4 weeks (habits form in 3-4 weeks) until you see a loss.

IMHO - based on my personal experience.
    Thank you for this. from everything I have read here and elsewhere, this is my understanding of losing.
    I just need to get my logging down and I think I will be successful using this method.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors do two things: they tell you how fast your heart is beating, and they use a formula to estimate how many calories you burn doing exercise.

But the formulas were designed for steady-state cardio exercise, where you're going at a constant intensity, and any changes are gradual. They are not very accurate for interval training and they're next to useless for strength training. The partial exception are the handful of HRMs that use Firstbeat's proprietary technology, but those are quite expensive.

Also, you're probably eating more than you think, like most of us:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't log on here everyday
    you have to do this, (well, you don't have to log HERE but, you have to log somewhere) otherwise you really can't say how many calories you are eating. So may people think they can estimate, that logging it all isn't important...but the majority of successful people on this site log every day (or did for months or years until they created the necessary understanding and habits.) Plus, if you can't look at the data and see what you have been truly doing every day...then you won't know what needs to change if things aren't working.

also as others have mentioned...weigh your food. the difference between an actual single serving of peanut butter measured by weight and what most people measure out as 2 tbsp, even using a measuring spoon...can be off by quite a bit. If you are consistently underestimating calories, you are killing your deficit. A "large" apple, as listed in the database, is a LOT lighter/smaller than what I consider a large apple by my standards.