Running question.

Options
So I hate couch to 5k. I tried it. I didn't like having to listen to the intervals, I wanna do my own thing. So for all the runners out there, do you think it would be more effective to stick with the interval style training, or just run at a moderate pace for like 30 minutes (about 5.3 on the treadmill, which is what I'm doing until it's warmer outside)?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going from nothing to something your body needs time to adapt. I'd keep the mileage low and gradually increase it.
    Rather than doing 30 minutes at a slower pace, do 15 at a faster pace...less overall miles though.
    If you go out and start pounding ground every day you are just setting yourself up for injury. (speaks from many injuries)
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a while, on and off. I'm not bad at it by any means (I'm actually quite good at running with my stride and whatnot, just crap at endurance) but I'm looking to really do it right this time. :)

Thank you for your advice, though :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Intervals will get you faster more quickly, but if you don't like to do them, don't.

You could just try your own speed play and not do set intervals. Basically, just pick a spot in the distance and increase your speed until you get to it, then slow down to a jog.

You can do as much or as little as you want.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You can try going 10 minutes out 10 minutes back. Then, gradually increase the time weekly. I used to do this before I got a GPS watch. It was nice just going at a comfortable pace and trying to maintain that pace on the way back without having to worry about distance. Eventually, I was doing hour out hour back and it was nice and relaxing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing says you have to start out doing a walk/ run program. Its popular but not required. If running 20-30 mins straight doesn't cause you any problems, have at it.
  • GBPackerFan14
    GBPackerFan14 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can just run at a steady state, but be sure to slightly increase the speed so you can get faster (You said you go for 30 min at 5.3 mph, you can up it to 5.5 after a week and progress like that). If you run at the same speed you will never get any faster, and you may not realize what you are capable of.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy and more likely to stick to. Just gradual increase your mileage.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So I hate couch to 5k. I tried it. I didn't like having to listen to the intervals, I wanna do my own thing. So for all the runners out there, do you think it would be more effective to stick with the interval style training, or just run at a moderate pace for like 30 minutes (about 5.3 on the treadmill, which is what I'm doing until it's warmer outside)?
    It's up to you, but I run for 40 minutes three times a week. I love it.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nothing says you have to start out doing a walk/ run program. Its popular but not required. If running 20-30 mins straight doesn't cause you any problems, have at it.

This!

Lots of new runners simply lack the aerobic fitness to do anything other than run/walk when they start off. If you're already able to run without stopping/walk breaks, then you're way ahead of the curve.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What is your running background?
    What are your goals?
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

If you can run for 30 minutes at 5.3 miles per hour you are basically beyond c25k. You are a runner!

Yep, at this point you can just run steady miles at a comfortable pace and you will continue to improve. There may be a point where you will find it difficult to improve without doing intervals, but that is likely a few years away.
  • kamyers1289
    Options

What is your running background?
    What are your goals?

I was an athlete all throughout my life (soccer, field hockey) and I swam. So I'm very used to running. My goals? IDK really. I'd like to do a half marathon somewhere in the future. I've done a handful of 5k mud runs, which obviously don't require constant running. But I guess just to build distance and speed over time.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Try fartlek running. It's a Swedish word that means speed play. It's interval running but you set the intervals.
    See this link for a basic description of how it works:
    http://runners-resource.com/training/fartlek/

You can basically use the fartlek method with any sport. I am learning to incorporate it into my routine and it has made running and biking more fun. The word is also pretty cool too!
  • kamyers1289
    Options
    Try fartlek running. It's a Swedish word that means speed play. It's interval running but you set the intervals.
    See this link for a basic description of how it works:
    http://runners-resource.com/training/fartlek/

You can basically use the fartlek method with any sport. I am learning to incorporate it into my routine and it has made running and biking more fun. The word is also pretty cool too!

I might try this.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well if you are going from nothing to something your body needs time to adapt. I'd keep the mileage low and gradually increase it.
    Rather than doing 30 minutes at a slower pace, do 15 at a faster pace...less overall miles though.
    If you go out and start pounding ground every day you are just setting yourself up for injury. (speaks from many injuries)

Well this is bad advice.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you can do 30 minute nonstop then you don't need C25K. Increasing speed will come naturally as you run more. Have one long run a week where you push yourself further than you do on the other days. It is ok to do the long run slower and even take walk breaks if you need to. As you build endurance your speed will increase on the shorter distances.
  • kamyers1289
    Options
    If you can do 30 minute nonstop then you don't need C25K. Increasing speed will come naturally as you run more. Have one long run a week where you push yourself further than you do on the other days. It is ok to do the long run slower and even take walk breaks if you need to. As you build endurance your speed will increase on the shorter distances.

Yeah, I was pretty much trying to use the intervals as like a jog/sprint thing to increase my speed. Thank you for the tips though :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yeah, I was pretty much trying to use the intervals as like a jog/sprint thing to increase my speed. Thank you for the tips though :)

Intervals come after building your running mileage base. Just running further and longer will help with your pace on shorter distances. Train for a 10k and your 5k speed normally improves.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I did exactly this. For whatever reason, I really, really just wanted to run without walking. I don't think that's the way everyone has to do it. But it was important to me. So, if you can run the distance, just do it. If you are feeling it, stretch it out a little every week. Endurance before speed. I literally couldn't run around the block last November. But a little at a time, I have stretched it out. So, 30 this week, 32 next and so on, working up to an hour or so. Also, be prepared for a bit of shock when you head back outside. You may have to back your time back to down to get used to running outside again!