A Sweet Craving Turned Into A Good Plan For The Future.

Options
For some reason, my mind kept wandering to donuts today. Not just any donut, my mind was savoring a nice, mushy, glazed donut...one of those inflated cushions of dough that is deep fried and then bathed in a glaze. Mmmm. :happy:

It doesn't help that in my youth, I used to work in a donut shop. I started out each day in that job with at least one hour of frying all those donuts, then dipped them, filling them and displaying them in the cases for the early morning crowd. To this day...the smell and taste of warm, glazed donuts is one of my old temptations.

I have lost 100 pounds in the past 15 months and have no desire to totally blow my progress with a donut binge. Oh, I could eat dozens of donuts, until I couldn't stuff anymore in; but then, I would have to live with the consequences, which would include a belly ache and a jump in my weight. :noway:

Suddenly, I had a wonderful idea. I have been debating about my upcoming 69th birthday on February 6th. Where to go and what to eat on my special day had not been finalized. Last year, Ed took me to my favorite restaurant in San Diego for their marvelous Coconut Shrimp.

This year, why not treat myself to a cup of my favor International Blend Sugarfree Mocha Coffee and just one glazed donut as a special start to my birthday, this year. Knowing that I could plan for that ONE yummy, glazed donut to begin the celebration made me feel so good. Now, where would we go for lunch?...a lunch that would give me leftovers, 'cause this was going to be a big calorie hit, if I went for something worthy of a birthday.

Right away, I knew that Red Lobster would be my designation. Wood fire grilled lobster, shrimp and scallops with a salad and a stuff mushroom appetizer became my planned lunch. I knew that I would have leftovers for dinner and maybe even enough calories left for a small dish of vanilla ice cream.

I went to my food diary; and within a few minutes, my birthday was logged in. Yep. I may keep thinking about donuts for the next few weeks; but now, I have put that little craving into prospective. There will be no guilt or pigging out on a deep fried, glazed binge of donuts without end. My glazed donut is now a planned part of my special day in the future, and I can wait for that day. :wink:

How about you? When you get a craving for a favorite old binge, how do you handle it. Can you plan ahead for a small reward, rather than fall into binging nightmare? Do you give yourself little treats along the way that don't bust the calorie budget?

Replies

• Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to get some feedback on my plan. I guess this post fell away too quickly. Oh, well.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good birthday plan to me!

I'd been wanting donuts recently but managed to fold them into a birthday celebration I coordinated and left the remaining ones there, so I wasn't tempted with the extras. :glasses:

I eat a lot of small treats and can usually fit one smallish carby goodie into my day (and still meet my macros) as long as I get my normal exercise.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Great plan!

I tend to treat myself along the way with small things like hard candy or caramels and if I plan for something special (like the cake I ordered for a retirement party last week) by the time it comes around I usually don't want it - I had a fork full of cake, 17 grams (yes I weighed it) :smile:

That applies to sweets, but with a special meal, I could definitely plan that ahead - I have tickets to a concert in April and I am planning to go out for Thai food afterwards!

Funny, the last donut I had made me so sick I don't know when I might try that again - not really a bad thing I guess :laugh:
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It is a great idea. I plan ahead like you do and if something comes up unexpectedly to throw off a given day I can adjust my menu in the few days that follows. My food philosophy is - Life is to be savored so savor every meal! I do not believe that any food I truly want needs to be off limits. The healthier I eat the easier it is to make good choices - not because I am afraid of undoing my progress but because my body craves what it needs and I have no desire to eat or drink some of the foods I used to think were delicious. Recently I was at Pier 39 in San Francisco. While walking to and from our favorite restaurant on the pier (Bubba Gumps) we pass by a stand that normally has a long line to get a bag of freshly made mini donuts. I never stop on the way to dinner and I am generally too full to stop afterwards. Last weekend I planned ahead and allowed room in my dinner plans so I could enjoy a mini donut or two. As I approached the window eager to make my purchase I discovered the donuts were being fried in oil that was not hot enough. I could tell the taste and texture was not going to be worth the calorie splurge on a substandard donut. I decided that I would have my donut soon enough but not on Pier 39 on that day. The more I thought about it I decided that I it is so rare that I eat a donut that I didn't want to risk being disapointed so I would plan to make a small batch at home soon. Now I just need to decide if I will be making donut holes rolled in sugar, cinnamon, and dried vanilla - cake style chocolate donuts with chocolate ganache - or yeast raised Bismark donuts filled with vanilla custard and topped with chocolate frosting. I won't make them all at once or completely blow my progress but rest assured when I do make them I will ENJOY it guilt free!
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love reading your posts! Something about the way you write. I have not planned for anything special yet. I have been craving the chinese buffet that I used to eat almost Friday for lunch with coworkers. I haven't had it since November and honestly do not think I can go there yet and make healthy choices or even control my portions. For me, I am too early in this journey.:smile:
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea, Sue, and good to have that to look forward to. On a much smaller scale, I am back having my non-chocolate days, to handle my choccy cravings... so Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are non-choccie ones, so I have Wednesday and the weekends to indulge (within limits). Trouble is I can then hit the plain biscuits, and they can mount up... so have just started having a hot chocolate for 40 cals after dinner, which seems to satisfy the craving, and fills me up nicely.
    But on a more serious note, while you can look forward to your birthday doughnut, why not find ways to celebrate which don't involve food... a special piece of jewellery, going to a concert or theatre, or just time together on a drive or a walk. Or a new plant for the garden you can enjoy every day, to remind yourself of your achievement. Celebrations should not always be about meals.
    Well done for all you are doing... but I am sure you need to relax your calorie count a little now you have done so well, and slow the weight loss down a little bit. 1200 cals a day will still mean a steady loss, but just allow your body to catch up with itself a bit. Especially now you are becoming more active after the BIIIIIG OP.
    Love, Faith
    :flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I just eat the donut. :ohwell:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan!

I lost 70lbs over 20 yrs ago and the reason why I don't binge and don't feel deprived is because I don't deprive myself! I don't keep the forbidden foods in the house. But I have an AA mtg I go to every Sunday morning and they have Dunkin Donuts. Most of the time, I pass, but if I want one and they have any good ones, I will have it. That's why most of the time, I pass.

I'm defiant by nature. If I tell myself I'm not allowed to have something, I immediately want it. So, no food is off limits!!
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Damn it man....now I want a donut!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    But on a more serious note, while you can look forward to your birthday doughnut, why not find ways to celebrate which don't involve food... a special piece of jewellery, going to a concert or theatre, or just time together on a drive or a walk. Or a new plant for the garden you can enjoy every day, to remind yourself of your achievement. Celebrations should not always be about meals.

I leave it to my hubbie to plan my birthday gift or outing; but I must be in charge of my food, even on a special day; or I will be eating without control and commitment. That I won't do, while I am still 30+ pounds away from my goal weight.
    Well done for all you are doing... but I am sure you need to relax your calorie count a little now you have done so well, and slow the weight loss down a little bit.

1200 cals a day will still mean a steady loss, but just allow your body to catch up with itself a bit. Especially now you are becoming more active after the BIIIIIG OP.

1,200 calories IS an increase in my calories. Prior to my surgery, I was at 1,000 calories per day...with the full approval of my doctor and nutritionist. When I am 'up and about'...recovered from my knee surgery, I will reevaluate my daily calorie goal with the help of my doctor and nutritionist. For now, I am still limited in my mobility.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If I have a special occasion coming up I try to alter my daily plans a little. Like for my birthday last year my friend threw me a party, so I tried to be spot on the days leading up to the party and on my birthday I made sure to get a little extra exercise in and then I just enjoyed what was served (she did plan a healthier menu). Other times, say potluck, there might be something really great I want to try and so I will and not feel guilty about it. That day may be higher, but that's okay, IF I have been well behaved. Sometimes I am failing miserably (going over for days and days) and I just know I am not able to handle extra temptations and so I avoid the situation altogether. Sometimes I just don't feel like having a treat, then I let it pass. If I really want something I allow myself to have it but try to stay away from eating treats as a daily celebration.
  • quillworkgirl
    quillworkgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a brilliant plan to me! In fact, I may use this idea for my own birthday dinner, especially since I am only going to be about a month into this. It will be a way to motivate myself to stay in check with my calories and my workouts. Thank you for posting this :)
  • myhoneyrose
    Options
    I don't usually binge due to cravings. I binge from depression and in that case it does not matter what I am eating, I am just trying to fill the hole. I have had this going on the last few weeks. I am feeling really down. No weight loss and I am dealing with some health problems for both me and my daughter. My daughter who is 17 may be facing brain surgery soon. Also, the 30th of this month is 3rd anniversary of the death of my husband due to cancer. I have lost 100 pounds and I am proud of myself, but now I am wrinkled and I feel very unattractive. I just feel that at 48 there is no hope for me to have a joyful life again. I try to talk to myself and the rational part of the brain knows, this is just the depression talking but, still.... I will keep trying and I will do my best to make up for the 4 pounds I have added back these last few weeks, eating extra butternut squash, grapes, oranges etc. Yes, I binge on healthy foods! Go figure. I hope I can pull myself up by the boot straps and get back into control like you are. I am impressed. I used to plan splurges for myself now I just eat extra of the healthy food I have on hand. I am so proud of you Sue. I am glad we are friends on this page because you are a inspiration to me! Be blessed and congrats on your knees and your recovery as well as the weight loss! Keep up the good work!
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think you are looking for permission for an old fashioned binge. You are using your birthday as an excuse for what you know in your heart is not a good idea.

By your own admission you have struggled with your weight all your life. Is it worth that chance of reversing all your hard work for a donut?

Our bodies can only take a certain amount if abuse. Will your doctor be happy you learn of your plan?

Pray about this. Ask God what he wants for you. Check out Overeaters Anonymous because I think you are toying with a bad idea and I for one cannot encourage you. Why blow your progress?

Your use of the word "binge" in your post is a hint at what you have in mine.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Wow, February 6th is my younger grandmunchkins birthday!!! He will be 6 and next year, when you turn 70, he will be 7!! Love your birthday plan and I know you will have a wonderful time and a wonderful meal!!! I love that you chose a healthy, low calorie entree so that you can enjoy your appetizer, donut and possibly ice cream!! Fantastic plan!!!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sue, you are doing fantastic! I think the way you are approaching this is fantastic! I've posted before, if we change our thinking we will change our doing and that's what you are doing. You thought this through and have come up with a plan to get over an area that has been in the past a "stronghold". Bravo!

When I first started with MFP I decided not to deprive myself of any certain food because I believe that causes more problems and more possible cause for binging. I have found that since I've been eating a lot more healthy, I don't want chocolate, cheese, salty snacks like chips as much. But that doesn't mean I don't eat them at all. I have them once in a while within my calorie allowance.

Saturday we went for a long ride and we had a bathroom pit stop. John wanted a coffee and I want an ice cream sandwich. I haven't had one of those for ages!!! So I bought one and shared half of it with my hubby. I didn't plan that but still is was something that I use to eat a lot of!

Then yesterday we went food shopping. We had planned on going to Paul's Chicago Pizza the next time we had some extra money. But we did not spent that much for groceries this month so we went after we went home and put the groceries away. I had something new that I had been wanting to try, a Flat bread with chicken. The meal was heavy on the calories, so I planned to have a light dinner. All in all, I stayed under my calorie allowance.

You have to do what works for you and you know when you're ready to do it. We all can defeat "binging", with a well thought out plan.

I hope you enjoy your birthday my friend!
  • jooles48
    Options
    I saw a commercial for Dunkin Donuts Heart Shaped Cookie Dough Donut, a valentine special and I have asked my hubby to get me one of those for Valentines Day instead of a big box of chocolate or the roses I usually get. So yes like you I am learning to plan ahead and let My Fitness Pal do all the worrying.
  • jnieferstutz
    jnieferstutz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mind - blown. You're a genius! We can all learn from you, thank you for sharing.
  • jnieferstutz
    jnieferstutz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This was supposed to be a reply under MyFoodGod 's comment, but it didn't work right. Also, now it wont let me delete, so. . .
    With all due respect, because we all have our trigger foods and I understand what you're saying. But I disagree and I think she's going to be fine so I'd like to say:
    Oh for pete's sake, I bet God's proud of Sue for finding a way to treat herself to a donut and eat at a favorite restaurant without blowing her diet. She's obviously learned how to eat healthy, plan ahead, and be responsible for her dietary choices. Making adjustments to allow oneself the privilege of a yummy here and there is part of what we all must try to learn in our weight management path. I bet her Dr. is impressed. So, Happy Birthday Sue!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I think you are looking for permission for an old fashioned binge. You are using your birthday as an excuse for what you know in your heart is not a good idea.

By your own admission you have struggled with your weight all your life. Is it worth that chance of reversing all your hard work for a donut?

If I was going to reverse all of hard word for a donut, I would have had that donut (and probably more) yesterday. I know the difference between giving in to temptation and making wise choices that allow for me to enjoy small treats within limits. I would not have already lost 100 pounds, if temptations were controlling my life.
    "Our bodies can only take a certain amount if abuse. Will your doctor be happy you learn of your plan?"

My doctor is thrilled with my weight loss and the 'realistic way' that I deal with food. He only asked that I keep my proteins up turning my post operative recovery time.
    "Pray about this. Ask God what he wants for you."

Don't worry about that. I talk to God all the time. I think that He loves me enough to give me wisdom even with my food.
    "Check out Overeaters Anonymous because I think you are toying with a bad idea and I for one cannot encourage you. Why blow your progress?

I know OA very well. It is a wonderful program.
    Your use of the word "binge" in your post is a hint at what you have in mine.

I define 'binge' as eating which is 'out of control' and 'excessive'. If one donut on my birthday is going to destroy my current weight loss or put me into a eating frenzy, then I will know it soon enough.

Each of us in MFP must make our own choices and decide what food is or is not acceptable within our food plan. No one can live our lives or make our choices for us. At my age, I tend to have quite a pretty well-established personality; and I don't get pushed to do anything that I don't think is right for me. I pretty sure that I can tell, when I am binging or not. I know, when I am in control; and I know, when it is time to say NO. My birthday food plan is just that...a well thought out plan which allowed for a small treat...not a complete change in my attitude toward food or the start of a binge.