another question about activity level

Options
I tried to search with key words but couldn't find anything like my question. I am currently 230lbs looking to lose 70ish pounds. I have my mfp activity level to sedentary and just track my work outs and eat my calories back. My issue is my line of work is physical, I am a merchandise presentation associate for a department store. My job involves lifting, going up and down stairs a lot. So on days I work (usually 5 hour shifts) could I be possibly take more calories in that day, like if at the end of the day i have no calories left and i am hungry? (Even if I don't work out) the only reason I'm stumped at what to do with my activity level is that my hours vary, some weeks I have as little as 8 hours other weeks I have 25-30. For the record I am set to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I get 1440 calories daily.

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is a really good question, because it is really hard when your activity doesn't fall into a particular category. This is the kind of situation where a fitbit would come in handy, if it is something that fits in your budget. It gives you an overall estimated calorie expenditure every day that might help you know how many calories to target. Something to think about if it is possible.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Raise your activity level, wait two weeks, then reevaluate. If you lose, great. If not, you're sedentary.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I had a very erratic work schedule, so I had to adjust my calories everyday depening on what the hell I happened to be doing. It seems tedious at first, but after a couple days you'll get the hang of it.

Keep it set to sedentary, but log your work hours as some type of corresponding exercise, and eat back the calories.

One word of caution with eating back you exercise calories: most of the time the estimates are inflated. Try going with about 75% and track your results for a couple weeks. Then compare your actual weightloss to your expected weightloss and adjust accordingly.

Eventually I ended up getting a Bodymedia armband to measure my daily calorie burn. I like it over things like the Fitbit because it not only measures steps, but also takes into account my exertion... which is handy for elevation changes, whether it be stairs, ladders, or mountains. And unlike a HRM, it is designed to be worn all day.
  • mimimerlot
    mimimerlot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your response!. Hopefully I can get one of those fit bit things or whatever. Trial error it is for now, though!