Don't understand BMI, BMR, etc. HELP!

Options
Hello,
I've spent hours on MFP message boards trying to get a better hold on how I do this. Now, I'm completely confused. Do I eat the number of calories that my BMR or BMI calculates or do I eat less than that? Do I set my carb/fat/sugar at the lowest setting? Should I not worry about any of it and just stop all sugar (to the best of my ability) and all wheat?

I've been awake since 6:15am and so far have only had two cups of coffee with almond milk - no sugar or sweetners...and I'm AFRAID to eat anything for fear I'm doing something wrong!

I'm 48. 5'6". 194.5lb current weight. Light activity. Goal weight is 150.

Can anyone help me?

THANKS!!!

Replies

• absinthia70
    absinthia70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just looked at this post and it helped me figure it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide - that helped a lot with the BMR and TDEE
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Goodness, don't be afraid of sugar! You can eat what you like as long as you stay in a calorie deficit and stay within your macros of carbs/protein/fats.

Enter all of your information into your MFP 'goals' including your desired weekly weight loss. Eat the calories MFP gives you. Log your exercise in MFP and eat approximately 50% of those calories back (MFP estimates are high).

After a couple of weeks, evaluate your progress and tweak as needed. You may want to bump your protein up, as MFP sets that pretty low. I am 5'6" and aim for 100 grams at least.