Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• Springs131
    Springs131 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We definitely do that now. I guess we never thought something like that would happen. And it shouldn't.

We go to the hostess's stand usually. Sitting there beyond 10 minutes is ridiculous.
  • getinmabelly
    getinmabelly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As someone who also spent a good deal of my formative years waitressing, I have several bugbears, both from waiting staff, and customers! So, in no particular order....

1. Waiting staff taking plates away from some people before the remaining members of the party have even finished eating! Give us a chance! Makes the remaining people eating feel like they are inconveniencing the waiting staff or their fellow diners, and have to eat faster. Very rude.

2. Customers who don't know how to use or even hold a knife and fork! What's with this holding a knife like a pen thing?

3. Lack of manners (on both parts!) A 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing! That really does go for both waiting staff AND customers!

4. Silent, miserable or arrogant waiting staff. Had one of those the other day. The waitress wouldn't give eye contact and just shoved our food down in front of us.

5. Overpriced food, just because it's served on a chopping board instead of a plate - or has the word 'artisan' in the description somewhere.

6. Customers talking or texting on their mobile phones while placing an order, or just while they have a friend sat opposite them.

I could go on, but then it might get a bit venue specific, and that's what TripAdvisor is for ;-)
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Or when they bring you back change that you need to break again. I think one waiter expected us to tip him in ten dollar bills.

First off, it's *YOUR* responsibility if you don't have other cash on you to *******TELL YOUR SERVER YOU WILL NEED SMALLER CHANGE. Are they a mind reader? We have smaller bills on us. If you give smaller bills, to me that shows how you are fishing for a tip and I hate when servers give you all ones let's say like when I have bought a daiquiri before and they could have given me a $5 bill for my change. That's when I started to tell them to give me a $5 bill back. Why don't you do the same, DUHH?

I assumed he expected it because he got a sour look on his face when we asked for smaller change back.
    Secondly, how is the waiter supposed to know that you have no small bills on you?

Thirdly, who said that he expected that. He was just giving you change. If he gave you 10 one dollar bills, you'd be pissed that he was in a way asking for his tip by giving you all one dollar bills.

If you want change a certain way, *SPEAK UP*. How does the waiter know you need small amounts of change? I have other money on me besides just what I gave. How does he know you don't? He doesn't have x-ray vision.

I think the server should *ASK* if the customer doesn't say anything since it seems a lot of customers don't SPEAK UP.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Or when they bring you back change that you need to break again. I think one waiter expected us to tip him in ten dollar bills.

First off, it's *YOUR* responsibility if you don't have other cash on you to *******TELL YOUR SERVER YOU WILL NEED SMALLER CHANGE. Are they a mind reader? We have smaller bills on us. If you give smaller bills, to me that shows how you are fishing for a tip and I hate when servers give you all ones let's say like when I have bought a daiquiri before and they could have given me a $5 bill for my change. That's when I started to tell them to give me a $5 bill back. Why don't you do the same, DUHH?

I assumed he expected it because he got a sour look on his face when we asked for smaller change back.
    Secondly, how is the waiter supposed to know that you have no small bills on you?

Thirdly, who said that he expected that. He was just giving you change. If he gave you 10 one dollar bills, you'd be pissed that he was in a way asking for his tip by giving you all one dollar bills.

If you want change a certain way, *SPEAK UP*. How does the waiter know you need small amounts of change? I have other money on me besides just what I gave. How does he know you don't? He doesn't have x-ray vision.

I think the server should *ASK* if the customer doesn't say anything since it seems a lot of customers don't SPEAK UP.

We assumed he was expecting it because he had a sour look on his face when we asked for smaller change back.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It must be the way some treat you when you order water. I only drink water and tip well. Still, I have had a waitress or two who are all grins and giggles over telling me about the special, then I order water and the person waiting on me just switched to an alternate personality. Not right....not at all. Oh, and children who are not well parented. :noway:
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

And rather quick to judge that we didn't ask afterward.
  • Springs131
    Options
    1. Waiting staff taking plates away from some people before the remaining members of the party have even finished eating! Give us a chance! Makes the remaining people eating feel like they are inconveniencing the waiting staff or their fellow diners, and have to eat faster. Very rude.

Sorry I 100% DISAGREE with you here. I personally don't want my dirty plate in front of me if I am finished. If you are a slower eater, blame it on the faster eaters, not on the staff. Also, if everyone felt like you, the wait for a table would DOUBLE because there would be no clean plates for the next people. You seem SELFISH just thinking about yourself. Why should dirty plates not be taken so they can be used for OTHER PEOPLE? Why should that bother you if the people are finished eating and what good does it do to talk when the dirty plate in front of me so now I can't put my hands even in front of me on the table even?

No one is making you feel rushed but *YOU*! The other diners aren't having to eat faster.

The one thing that makes me feel rushed is if the server is asking about dessert while others aren't finished, *THAT* pisses me off to no end. The taking the plates though is for OTHER PEOPLE IN THE RESTAURANT. Also, I really don't want a dirty plate in front of me. I PREFER to have them take it. My husband is a faster eater than me in general and I truly don't mind and actually like when they take his plate. It doesn't make me feel rushed at all. I know they need that plate for other people in the restaurant. Why have him sit with a dirty plate longer? What good does that do anybody? Also, the longer they wait to take his plate, the longer our server takes to get our check or whatever we ask for refills, etc.

Asking about dessert is rude because how do we know if we want to a dessert if one person isn't finished and also usually courses are eaten together so why ask about dessert? That asking is rushing me. Taking dirty plates is not rushing me.

You shouldn't take it as rushing. The restaurant is LOSING MONEY if the customers leave because they had to wait too long to get seated. WHY don't you look at it like that from a MONEY standpoint? Also, you can refuse as a customer to not let them take your plate if you choose. SPEAK UP!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am pretty tolerant about restaurant issues since I used to be a waitress. As a mother, I am pretty tolerant of children, too. The one thing that I am not tolerant of are restaurants that believe that their patrons are stupid and unable to understand a menu. I have a gluten allergy and will ask if a restaurant has a gluten-free menu. One restaurant, Cracker Barrel, insists on having their manager read the gluten-free menu to you at your table. I can read prefectly fine, thank you. And thank you for making everyone around my table believe that I can't read or comprehend a menu.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 so I remember the days of little kids but I don't think it is ok to bring them to a nice place and then just let them run loose. If they can't sit and eat and have manners get a babysitter.
  • Springs131
    Options

We assumed he was expecting it because he had a sour look on his face when we asked for smaller change back.

You could have PREVENTED that by TELLING HIM you need some smaller bills like 5's, some 1's.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    When they :

a.) Don't have an immediate refill of my beer
    b.) Are no where to be found when I am looking for a refill / sauce / condiment of some sort but are surprisingly there when I take a huge mouthful of food to ask me if I need anything and I can't chew quick enough to answer them.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

You could have PREVENTED that by TELLING HIM you need some smaller bills like 5's, some 1's.

So we're supposed to be mind readers when most people bring back $5 and $1s? I have no problem asking for change after. I do have a problem with someone giving me attitude afterward.
  • Springs131
    Options
    So we're supposed to be mind readers when most people bring back $5 and $1s? I have no problem asking for change after. I do have a problem with someone giving me attitude afterward.

You never go by what "MOST PEOPLE" do. That's your problem. Why don't you just simply *TELL YOUR SERVER* that you want some smaller bills? What is soooo HARD about that?

You are acting like the waiter is supposed to JUST KNOW that you have no small bills on you.
  • lodiloohoo64
    lodiloohoo64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Knowing that the oil in the tall blue bottle, mixed with sundried tomatoes and such for dipping my bread in is really not olive oil as claimed makes me cranky. It is God's way of telling me that bread should not be a choice for me anywhooo, nor the fancy, not so fancy oil. Note taken Sir.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 so I remember the days of little kids but I don't think it is ok to bring them to a nice place and then just let them run loose. If they can't sit and eat and have manners get a babysitter.

Wow, you look excellent for being a mother of four! :love:
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

You never go by what "MOST PEOPLE" do. That's your problem. Why don't you just simply *TELL YOUR SERVER* that you want some smaller bills? What is soooo HARD about that?

Why do you have a problem with me? We did ask for smaller bills after. What's sooooo HARD about not having an attitude about it?
  • ceruleanjen
    Options

You are acting like the waiter is supposed to JUST KNOW that you have no small bills on you.

Actually, I'm not acting like that at all. You're perceiving that I am, however. I had no problem asking for smaller bills after. What I had a problem with was his having an attitude about it.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Why do you have a problem with me? We did ask for smaller bills after. What's sooooo HARD about not having an attitude about it?

My main point is that you should have TOLD HIM WHEN YOU GAVE HIM THE CHECK AND THE MONEY said " Can we please gets some small bills in our change, please?" Why not do that from NOW ON? I don't want 4 5's if I could have a $20 bill personally if I have 5's and 1's already on me.

I'm guessing you have a problem with asking for change afterward. I'm certainly not taking advice from someone so rude. If I need smaller bills afterward, which I have only needed maybe twice because most people bring you back change you can tip them back with, I will ASK.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when only half of the order comes out and the rest of the table has to wait 10 minutes for their meals. Happens pretty often down here in Aus and it makes me bonkers. Servers here don't have the same incentive to do well as servers in the US do.

I think that's half the reason that service in the UK is generally so poor. Noone in the UK knows how to tip. I always reward good service, and return to the same places!
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    What I had a problem with was his having an attitude about it.

He had a right to be pissed that you were making him GO BACK when you should have told him to begin with. I think it's a combination of both that he expected a large tip and he also didn't want to go back again doing more work, because *YOU* didn't specify you need more. Telling your server when you pay will help not make a server do DOUBLE the work. So I would be pissed too that you made me do double the work more than the tip I would have thought I would have gotten.

You really are a drama queen. He took the check so quickly I couldn't ask for smaller bills. But hey, I guess I should have gotten up and chased him down, right?