Running Shoes

Options
I'm in the market for a new pair of running shoes. I currently do distance running. Typically, I buy New Balance and then add high arch insoles into them, but there has to be something better out there. These aren't holding up the way they used to. I'm wondering if any distance runners out there have good recommendations for women with high arches and bad knees. :) I'm looking for something amazing that will blow me away.

Replies

• Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Go to runnersworld.com . Look up their shoe guide. Follow the decision tree. Find your shoes. You can do this for each season and find quite a number of models/brands that will work for you. This process works for me.
  • runningincognito
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate it!
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i don't have arch issues, but I do have one bad knee. I wear Asics Gel something or other (there's a lot of different names, I'll have to look at mine to get the exact name), but they have a great amount of cushioning and they feel great.
  • runningincognito
    Options
    I was just looking at one of the aesics gel shoes. I think no matter which way I go I'll have to get high arch insoles for them. Even when I try on high arch shoes I have to put insoles in them. It always makes my shoes so much more expensive. Which is why I want to be sure to get the right ones. I just looked at the runnersworld thing and it kept showing me medium arch and low arch shoes even though I put in high arches.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Better yet, go get your gait analyzed and get fitted for proper shoes that are developed with your issues in mind. Any proper running store will do this.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at one of the aesics gel shoes. I think no matter which way I go I'll have to get high arch insoles for them. Even when I try on high arch shoes I have to put insoles in them. It always makes my shoes so much more expensive. Which is why I want to be sure to get the right ones. I just looked at the runnersworld thing and it kept showing me medium arch and low arch shoes even though I put in high arches.

I've used the Asics for years. Very durable and very comfortable.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a store and getting professionally fitted. I only run a little but I went and got fitted and it's like running with clouds on my feet! Mine are New Balance but something different will work for every person.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in the market for a new pair of running shoes. I currently do distance running. Typically, I buy New Balance and then add high arch insoles into them, but there has to be something better out there. These aren't holding up the way they used to. I'm wondering if any distance runners out there have good recommendations for women with high arches and bad knees. :) I'm looking for something amazing that will blow me away.

Go to a store that specializes in running. Have do a gait analysis on you and fit you for shoes. You will be glad you did! Once you know what brand and model you need, you can always look for sales.
  • k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i have high arches too and went to my local running store to get recommendations. they put me in mizuno wave riders and i've stuck with them since. i also have orthotic inserts but do not like running with those in - they seem to do more "harm" than good.
  • melindacampbell66
    Options
    I purchased a pair of "Brooks Addiction 11" from a running store in town. They are the best running shoes that I have ever had on my feet!!!!! The support my Arch and heels and no additional inserts are needed. Not only did I get a great shoe, but the services after the sale is amazing! Make sure you buy from who understands the physiology of running. Most Departments Stores sell shoes, make sure you buy the complete package.
  • runningincognito
    Options
    Thanks. I was fitted for shoes when I bought my original New Balance. I did that when I first began running three years ago. I've been buying New Balance ever since but they just don't seem to be working out for me anymore. I'll definitely go back and get a shoe fitted again. I run on my forefoot and I have callouses all over the forefront of my feet from the rubbing of my shoes. I honestly think they assigned me too big of a size or these shoes aren't meant for forefoot running.

Mizuno wave riders I haven't heard of. I'll google them as well.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Better yet, go get your gait analyzed and get fitted for proper shoes that are developed with your issues in mind. Any proper running store will do this.

The best way forward. At the very least use an online guide that can categorise your foot shape generally. This however will not take into account your running style, muscle flexibility, etc. which is also relevant. Running shop is the way ahead...
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I really like my Brooks Ghost 6, which I got at... the running store after they did the analysis and evaluated several different brands/models. It's worth your time, and nothing says you have to buy them there, where there won't likely be much of a discount. However, I found, too, that for some brands, all you're going to find is list price, or very close to it, so you won't necessarily get gouged. And remember that models do change- my friend LOVED the Ghost 5, hates the 6. Small updates can make a big difference, the experts will surely guide you.