OFF TOPIC** Need kitten advice from a kitty expert

Options

Replies

• NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    I am a kitty expert. I had two cats both started as kittens before I ended up being a mother. Anyhow, I would recommend that you have your kitten neutered or spayed. Whichever is the one you use for cats, not dogs. That will stop her peeing all over the furniture. Do not put her in the carrier when she doesn't go in the litter box. Cats are much different from dogs. She will not associate it positively or negatively. That is my recommendation.

Being spayed or neutered isn't referring to cats vs. dogs. It's referring to male vs. female animals........

Spayed = female
    Neutered = male
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new pet.

It could be the stress of the move that's causing her to act out. Also not going in the box could be a sign she has a urinary tract infection, which while uncommon at her age, can happen.

Look into the Kitten Attract litter which has herbal additives to attract them to the box. My mom's also found some stuff that you sprinkle into the litter you're already using that does the same thing as Kitten Attract but I don't recall the brand.

Also, keep her confined to a small area, laundry room or bathroom, until she learns. Could be that she's forgetting where the box is and going wherever. It'll also make clean-up of her accidents easier.

For where she's already gone, try cleaning it with a mixture of 1c hydrogen peroxide, 2 tsp baking soda, a drop or two of liquid dish soap (scale measurements as needed for size of the area as I've been told you can't save it for later). Use it on an inconspicuous spot first because hydrogen peroxide can cause color fade. If it's on the carpet, I just soak the area (and even step on it so it gets down into the padding) and vacuum up the residue once it's fully dry. For furniture, I use a white dish cloth to scrub the area. It'll get out both the stain and deodorize the area so she's not as likely to use the spot again.

Good luck!!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Put her in the box, and dig with her front paws for her--ours peed in their right away after I did that. At first, I kind of took her to her litter a couple of times a day and did this, like training a puppy. It took 2 days I'd say.
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    To second (third and fourth) the above:

1 - check what kind of litter she was using previously and use that.
    2 - make sure the box is accessible to her (ie low enough for her to easily enter and exist)
    3 - put her into a small room to acclimatize to the new smells and sounds
    4 - use the same feed she was eating previously.

If the feed and litter she is used to is different than that you are using that can upset her stomach (causing the runs) and also she may not like the feel of the litter if it's a new kind. My cats are very picky about their litter.

When she has settled a little bit you can slowly change the food over to what you'd like to use in the future but remember the 'feel factor' regarding litter. Also, you can getting her used to having it's paws and teeth examined straight away as well to make those vet exams less stressful.

Make time to play and cuddle and handle your kitten, start building that bond now.

Oh, one tip for play time - don't use things you don't want her to think of as toys later on. My housemate thought playing with their earphone cable would be a great toy... now one of mine thinks all cables are chew toys and that the ear buds are little chewy things on the end *sigh*

Enjoy the little fluffy - all too soon she'll lose the kitten fluff and become a sleek independent cat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is off topic I know but I really need some advice. I adopted an adorable kitten yesterday and was told she was litter box trained. I've provided her with a litter box and good clean quality litter but she refuses to use it. She's peed on my couch and my carpet and doodied their too. She's well mannered in every other way. The thing is I've never had a cat that wouldn't use the litter box so I'm not sure how to train her. She is 10 weeks old. Smart as a whip. When I catch her in the act I say loudly NO!!!! and then I pick her up and put her in her litter box. If she imediately gets out then I put her back in her carrier. She really doesn't like to be in her carrier. If I see her doing her business in the litter box I would praise her and NOT put her in the carrier. But if she doesn't do anything when I put her in the litter then in the carrier she goes. I hoping she'll associate the actions. What else can I do?? Jackson Galaxy where are you???:sad:
    I'm a true blue lifetime kitty person (as you can tell from my profile picture). :bigsmile:

They might have kitty box trained her, but right now Kitty is just adjusting to the new home,. Her behavior is normal right now.

Keep her in one of your rooms for a few days with her water, food, and kitty litter box on the other side of the room. Every few hours you give her a visit in the room and put her in the kitty box, even if she does not have to go. Put down newspaper on some plastic too, just in case she doesn't get the kitty litter thing right away.

Don't yell at her. If you see her going on the floor, just kindly pick her up and put her in the kitty box. Just keep doing it. The lightbulb will go off.

Once she has the kitty box thing down let her venture into the rest of the house.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am a kitty expert. I had two cats both started as kittens before I ended up being a mother. Anyhow, I would recommend that you have your kitten neutered or spayed. Whichever is the one you use for cats, not dogs. That will stop her peeing all over the furniture. Do not put her in the carrier when she doesn't go in the litter box. Cats are much different from dogs. She will not associate it positively or negatively. That is my recommendation.
    I agree with spaying, but that's not why she's peeing all over the place. She is reacting to her new home.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Take her to the vet and make sure she doesn't have a UTI.

if she checks out healthy, try different litter. If you have other cats, make sure you have enough litterboxes, too.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I agree with spaying, but that's not why she's peeing all over the place. She is reacting to her new home.
    Neuter is for males, spay is for females. It doesn't matter the species.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Agreed. This is behavioral. Spaying won't help. Barring any medical issues like a UTI or paws that hurt, she is adjusting, learning and/or being picky about litter, box placement...heck, even the plastic bags under the litter can set some kittens off. Also, make sure the box is scooped cleaned everyday, if not twice a day.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Lock the kitten in the kitchen with litter tray until it learns. Also make sure that you clean the places where she has peed or pooed so that she cannot smell it and is tempted to go there again.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Lock the kitten in the kitchen with litter tray until it learns. Also make sure that you clean the places where she has peed or pooed so that she cannot smell it and is tempted to go there again.

Erm.

Your kitten should be in a smaller place until she is comfortable, but make sure it's a comfortable place. Don't just arbitrarily pick a room. The kitchen would be the last place I would put her because then that's going to be her comfort zone and you don't want that in the kitchen forever...to this day, my kittens go back to their first little room to hang out. It's their happy place (when they aren't sleeping on my head).

You have to think a bit like a little kitten.

Is her box near a loud noise, like the heater or a dishwasher?
    Do the pipes make sounds near it?
    Is it easy to get into for a little kitten?
    Is it too much litter for a little kitten?
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing, but keep her (and the litter box) in a room where you can shut her up so she isn't going on the carpet or furniture (laundry room, bathroom, etc.). Otherwise, once the 'scent' is there, she may continue to use the carpets, etc. as she doesn't know that it isn't OK.
    Good luck.
    Kaye

Kittens and new cats should be kept in a small room for the first 1-2 weeks, until they can get used to the new living space. Introduce her to the rest of the house for a few minutes a day, supervised, increasing the time out a few minutes a day.

Good advice. This is what I had to do when we got our first cat. She picked it up pretty quickly
  • rml_16
    Options
    How would you even do that? They can jump. Very few houses have kitchens with doors anymore.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Or pick a room with no carpet or soft furnishings. Worked for me.

Owner of very happy 5 year old cat with no litter tray who does all her business outside.
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the other suggestions.

Segregate new kitten in one room with toys, food, and litterbox.

Do NOT place in carrier after she doesn't use the litter. You don't want the litterbox to be associated in any way with bad experience.

Try mixing Cat Attract clumping litter with whatever litter the kitten was using at the shelter. Same with the food.

I agree with placing the kitten in the box, but I don't agree with scratching her paws for her in the litter. What may be better is to use the scooper to dig in the litter while you are in the room with the kitten.

If you are in the room with the kitten and you see her use the box, reward her immediately with a tasty treat.

Use an enzyme cleaner available at a pet store to clean where the kitten has already urinated so there are no more accidents in that spot.

If this doesn't help, I would seek veterinary assistance, as avoidance of using the cat box could mean a bladder or urinary infection.

Good luck.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you shown her what she's supposed to do? By that I mean: put her in the box and gently help her scratch with her front feet.
    Also, you might check with where she came from, about what brand of litter they used. Buy it and then gradually (mixing a bit more each time) switch to the kind you want.

^^This

Every time I have a new kitten I do this and have never had any problems. Show her how to dig in the litter.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You may want to contact the place you adopted her and find out what brand of litter they were using. Cats are creatures of habit and hate changes to their litter. Also make sure there are no stray cats around spraying and making the kitten nervous.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    She may just not be used to your house, new surroundings and new people.

Also, there is a large possibility that they lied to you and she is not litter trained. Try this website for some great tips. http://www.catpeeingeverywhere.com/?gclid=CL713MmdobwCFYeEfgodSTsAiQ

Keeping her in a closet or small room like the bathroom will help you control where she pees and at least prevent her from ruining everything in your house.

When I litter trained my kitten a long time ago, I would follow her around and spray her with a cold water bottle when she started to pee somewhere, that would halt her and I would quickly put her in her box. If you have the covered box with the flap hole, turn the flap against a wall so she cant get out and leave her for five minutes.

There is another possibility that she has a urinary tract infection. When cats have UTI's they try to go in the litter and when it hurts, they assume that it's where they are trying to pee so they use other spots in hopes that it will not hurt there. Have you taken your new kitten to the vet yet? If not, you may want to get her a thorough checkup. She will need her shots anyway.

On a side note, a great product I use for getting rid of animal smells is called Nature's Miracle. It's a spray. I used it when training my dogs because the cats would often like to cover up the smell of their messes in the house and then I would be cleaning forever.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    well is she declawed? because if she is she might need softer litter that is something straight from jackson galaxy. and when she does go in the liter box reward her with a treat and give her some pets. and she will eventually associate going in liter box with good things instead of bad things.and if that still doesn't work after awhile then try putting the liter box in a more cat traffic area. these are all tips i got from the show my cat from hell. so i hope they help you as well as others :smile: good luck!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Put any of her pee/poo into the litterbox if she does not go in it.

I think you are doing the right thing by training her with the carrier. (I did that with my cat to train her to go to bed when I did so she wasn't roaming the house all night.)

Also, try different types/brands of litter. My cat is pretty particular about litter. Sometimes if it is too chunky she won't like it, or if the scent on it is too much and it makes a lot of dust when she steps in it, she doesn't like that either.

Make sure you use a good cleaner for the places the cat went potty on too. This way she doesn't think it is ok, because of the scent, to go there again.

Patience, patience, patience! All kitties are different! It may take a month+ before she understands what is right/wrong! Especially after MOVING to somewhere NEW!

When I moved, my cat would not leave my bedroom. She would hide under my bed for MONTHS!!! It took her a year before she would venture outside of my room. And now, 3 years later, she is very comfortable roaming around. (I have a dog too, so that was part of the reason why it took her some time.)

Oh, and if she isn't de-clawed, and you're thinking about it. Please don't!!!!!! You can train them to scratch only certain objects! De-clawing is horrible and often results in more complications than it's worth in my opinion!! I trained my cat to only pick on things like the bottom mattress or certain carpets (replaceable mats and what not.) It takes a lot of patience, but they are very intelligent!