What is a good, healthy weight for a woman who is 5'2"?

Options
A year ago, I weighed about 170 lbs. I was considered obese and was very unhappy about my weight. My new year's resolution was to get healthier. This morning I weighed in at 119. I'm still not happy with the way I look. My chest has always been small so there isn't a lot in that area. Just looking for some input. 120 was my goal weight but now that I'm here, I still feel like I could lose some more.

Replies

• CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! That is a fantastic loss!

If you are feeling it's just not quite where you want to be, I would say keep working at it. Bring in some weight lifting (if you don't already), and aim for fat loss (not just weight loss). Often it's not the weight but the BF% that makes us feel "thicker" than we'd like.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I weighed about 170 lbs. I was considered obese and was very unhappy about my weight. My new year's resolution was to get healthier. This morning I weighed in at 119. I'm still not happy with the way I look. My chest has always been small so there isn't a lot in that area. Just looking for some input. 120 was my goal weight but now that I'm here, I still feel like I could lose some more.
    I'm a small-framed 5'3" woman and 110-115 is my ideal (I can probably go lower and still be OK).

I hope that gives you an idea. But it's mostly about where you're happy unless you feel like you're becoming obsessive.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    119lbs at 5'2" is awesome!!! I wish I was there...

But like the person that posted behind you... I would add weight lifting! It will change your entire outlook!!

I haven't seen my scale move that much in the last few weeks... but my clothes are fitting differently and I can certainly tell that I am stronger and I have lost inches!!!

Keep at it girl!! :)
  • janl3
    janl3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a FANTASTIC achievement! Congrats!! You've definately provided inspiration as I'm in that exact position right now!! Time to get the weight off and keep it off!!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Did I read that correctly on your profile... you've got 7 kids!! WTG!!! You're doing great!! I wouldn't be so hard on yourself... I think if you added the weight lifting you'd be a lot happier ... it's the firming up... trust me... I only have 3 kids and I can tell that has a lot to do with it. :))
  • cwhitesi
    Options
    Hi Kim! supposedly a good weight for a woman this height is 105-110 lbs (5 lbs for every inch over 5'?) but it certainly varies. I'm the same height and my normal weight is 120-125 which is usually when I'm happiest with my body. At one point I dropped to 110 and sadly it was one of the most unhappiest times of my life due to external reasons. Therefore I concluded that health is not just the physical but appreciating and being content with what i already had. Just keep in mind that that there are PLENTY of women who would love to be at your weight and if you do continue to lose weight, keep it healthy and keep happy!
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm also 5'2 and currently I weigh 168. My goal would be 125. If you have a small frame you weight goal could be 108-121. I have a medium frame that is why my goal is 125.
    Here is a link from previous MFP

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/299540-5-2-ideal-weight

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

Good luck!
  • KimberlyAnn327
    Options
    I do have a small frame. This may be a stupid question, but how do I focus on fat loss instead of just weight loss? I do have some weights here but I don't really know what to do with them. Honestly, I'm mostly happy with my body at this point. It's just that my stomach is still bothering me. And yes, I have 7 kids. Life is crazy here.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do have a small frame. This may be a stupid question, but how do I focus on fat loss instead of just weight loss? I do have some weights here but I don't really know what to do with them. Honestly, I'm mostly happy with my body at this point. It's just that my stomach is still bothering me. And yes, I have 7 kids. Life is crazy here.
    Much of that is diet. I don't know enough to answer your question, but hopefully some of the people who are more focused on that kind of thing can help you.
  • roxxie25
    roxxie25 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I am 5'1" with a "curvy" build regardless of what I weigh (ie large breasts and hips) My "normal" weight that I could maintain very easily until I reached age 40 was 120-125 pounds. I looked the best at 110-115 pounds, but I could never maintain that weight for very long without going to extreme measures. I look "ok" up to 130 pounds. Anywhere over that (my highest non-pregnancy weight has been 143) and I definitely look chubby and my clothes are uncomfortable. Hope that helps! Congratulations on your great weight loss!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 & maintain my weight between 99-105lbs. I look fine in that weight range and slim but by no means skinny, i still have a fair % body fat on me but am trying to gain weight now and want to build more lean body mass. It is a hard question to ask what an ideal weight is for someone of a certain height because everyone is a totally diferent shape and build even if they are the same height. You need to just concentrate on yourself and either continue losing if you think that is what you want, or change you goal to be about how you look rather than what you weigh and work toward that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This thread was posted a couple of weeks ago and has some good suggestions about working on your stomach.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I think regardless of whether you want to focus on your abs, lose fat in general, or just tone up, weight training is going to be key. I'm 5'2 and right now at 127. Was going for 125 or 120 but really right now just want to focus on strength/toning. I'm in a similar situation with not really knowing how to start but a lot of people recommend reading The New Rules of Lifting For Women (I have not yet).

I've been just doing some basic exercises with dumbells and a couple of videos and have seen a difference in tone in many areas of my body, and am planning to increase weight and start lifting more at the gym.

Good luck.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I'm 5ft2 and currently 135lbs and still feeling very podgy. I'm aiming for 120lbs initially but could imagine going to 110 if needed. I'm very curvy so hopefully 120lbs will be a good weight for me accomodating my boobs.
  • mdiaz0188
    mdiaz0188 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm hearing this bc I don't feel so alone anymore in this world lol! I also went through a little transformation about 2 years ago and have been able to maintain my weight at a descent 93-95lbs, I am 4'11. I hear it ALL THE TIME... "You're so skinny, stop trying to lose weight" blah blah blah..... for some reason I also am not fully happy at this weight, even though this is considered "ideal" for my height. I am also small framed so I decided to start building muscle instead of just losing weight and have seen some improvements, especially in my tummy area (which is what I'm mainly unhappy with as well). I definitely like how its going so far and I feel highly motivated once again - which is what I needed!!!!!! I do lots of yoga so I'm starting to incorporate more ab workouts to my routine and started eating a little more protein and fiber...and so far its working for me! I'm not saying that this works for everyone but its worth a try! Try building muscle! Its a totally different ball park, and I'm sure you'll enjoy doing something new!!! Plus, I'm sure your results will be great as well! I can't wait to get there myself :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 also currently weigh around 108 - 110lbs. I don't want to lose anymore, I actually wouldn't mind gaining a few lbs but I want to do it by building muscle rather than fat.

I've recently bought the NROLFW book so will focus on that....especially seeing as I've just booked to go to Florida in Sept! lol.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Try eating at a lower deficit, with the suggested range of TDEE-20% to TDEE-10%. Your TDEE is your "maintenance" calories.

For example, if eating 2000 calories everyday meant you stayed the same weight, that would be your TDEE. A smaller deficit would mean you'd eat maybe 1700-1800 calories to lose weight more slowly, allowing your body a chance to preserve it's muscle, or lean body mass (LBM).

Adding in strength training "strengthens" (ha) this process even more. If you have some weights and aren't sure what to do with them, look into programs like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. These programs (which you can find online in places) will detail what you should do. The MFP group on here, Eat-Train-Progress, is also a great resource.

In general, the "core" moves of lifting with weights that are recommended are: squats, deadlifts, bench press, and military press/overhead press. Some programs add some form of row to that list.

tl;dr: Some form of strength training + a smaller deficit = emphasis on fat loss over indiscriminate weight loss.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're already doing awesome!! My only thoughts are not to put too much stock in what is considered an average range. I know for me personally, a healthy comfortable weight is slightly lower than what my height would advise just because my legs are weirdly long. So your frame has a lot to do with it. I'd give weight lifting a whirl at this point:) good luck OP!
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and around 130 is my ideal weight…when i got closer to 120 i looked sickly skinny on my top half. i think it varies for everyone and really depends on where you carry your weight.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Also some recent research from my colleagues has shown that BMI needs updating. It should allow lower weights for short people and higher weights for tall people. For 5ft2 its 97lbs to 131lbs is classified "healthy".

http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Much of that is diet. I don't know enough to answer your question, but hopefully some of the people who are more focused on that kind of thing can help you.

^^^ This... I also suggest you look into the Eat, Train, Progress page. Strength training can also help with fat loss in addition to a good diet.

Or what firstsip said.... I didn't get down that far when I replied.

As for personally, I'm 5'1.5"... I was at my happiest at 125/127...