Calf strain

Options
Hi guys, I have been using the RICE method and I was wondering one thing,
Is there any exercise that might be good to do while not really being able to move my leg?

Also, I cant do swimming as I do not have access to a gym

Thank you (:

Replies

• Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    work out your upper body with free weights :)
  • princesswarrior1116
    Options
    I don't know how badly you strained your calf, but it's important that you let it heal completely before you go back to running (if that's what you do.) Between April and June of last year, I tore my calf 3 times, each one progressively worse. I was rushing back to exercise each time until the last one, when It was nearly a complete tear. I was unable to even walk at that point. Here's what I did...

Elevation and ice for the first two weeks following the last tear. I was able to put weight on my foot, I started gentle stretching while seated (simply flexing my foot at that point was a stretch.) About 3 weeks in, once the swelling and bruising started to subside, I started flexing my foot while I was standing. About a month in, I was able to start walking again and then I continued to gently stretch and do strengthening exercises (calf raises) while continuing to walk for exercise.

Your tear may be less severe, but the point is to be careful and let it heal completely before trying to do too much or you'll set yourself back and make yourself more prone to reinjuring it. I now have no problem with my calf and am able to run and work out normally.
  • Seraphina_Rowan
    Seraphina_Rowan Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Right now from what I know about the strain is that its extremely hard to walk (I have to walk using the toes of my foot on that side)
    Where it hurts is very swollen and just tender to touch.

Thank you for the advice, ill keep up the elevation, resting, icing and stretching it every so often.
  • princesswarrior1116
    Options
    Right now from what I know about the strain is that its extremely hard to walk (I have to walk using the toes of my foot on that side)
    Where it hurts is very swollen and just tender to touch.

Thank you for the advice, ill keep up the elevation, resting, icing and stretching it every so often.

Yep, that sounds like a tear. Take your time...that's the best advice. I wish I would have let mine heal properly the first time instead of having to learn the hard way. I found out how to rehab mine by googling "calf tear" and "calf strain." There were some good sites where I learned what to do and what to look for as I was healing. Good luck!
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I started running in September I strained both of mine, pretty painful but a few suggestions that helped, sounds like you're already doing well to take care of it, stretching it is good, icing it, massaging it and taking it easy. I found I needed to change my shoes, I thought the ones I had were good, but they weren't the right style for the type of impact. I got ones with better support. That's what helped the most for me, of course it's different for everyone. Definitely let it heal though, it can also be strained due to other leg muscles being weaker, so that muscle is overcompensating. Keep an eye on your shin muscles, especially for shin splints, I found my shins started to get a bit sore along the way then really took it easier. Again, for me the big thing was different shoes. Hope they get better soon, it's such an uncomfortable pain.
  • princesswarrior1116
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot something else...once I started to walk (when I could place my foot flat on the floor again) I got a compression wrap (mine was neoprene and had velcro so I could tighten it) and wore it whenever I exercised for about a month until I was completely healed. It took about two months overall for it to heal the last time. You'll know it's better when you can walk or run without feeling that sensation of pulling in your calf. If you feel a sensation like you need to stretch it out, slow down again and give it another week. This kind of thing takes time.
  • Seraphina_Rowan
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all your answers (:
    I'll be sure to get a compression wrap within the time Im able to walk again!
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your injury! I had a grade 2 strain last year, and healing does take a long time.

You got some wonderful advice, I second it all. When I could start bearing more weight, I started "shuffling" for lack of a better term. Light steps, short range of motion. While it was wrapped tightly. That felt good.

A good piece of advice I heard - if you feel good enough to work out, give it one more week.

It may take a couple months - I wish I was exaggerating.
  • Seraphina_Rowan
    Options
    Is there any upper body things, or work outs any of you did to keep yourself on track?

I feel like im going crazy already by not releasing any energy.
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the wonderful advice above, as I've battled calf strains for months and months at points in my life.

*Continue RICE as long as the accute symptoms remain, even for a few weeks after you feel you dont need it.
    *After rice transition to heat treatments.
    *Once you feel like can return to activity use a heating pad to warm the calf for 10 mon before excercising.
    *Warm up your entire body thoroughly prior to excercise.
    *During the healing period do an upper body regimine and consider swimming if you have access to a pool (good cardio and no impact).
    *If you have gloves and a bag to hit I HIGHLY recommend it (being careful of the injury at all times). Its great cardio and will relieve that pent up stress. Take a class at your gym if one is offered to gain knowledge in this area.
    *Even after you feel like it is healed consider elliptical for you cardio. Its a good test while low being impact.
    *Return to walking before you run, and even once you begin running take an extra day between runs for a while. Still warm up and stretch after.

I know its frustrating, but slow is fast here. Workk back into it steadily and listen to your body. If you encounter discomfort drop back a level or two and work back into it. You are young so if you do the right things you will be back on the road in no time! Good luck.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Torn calf muscles (= "strained" or "pulled") heal best when the calf is slightly lengthened. Best way to do this is to gently stretch the calf often - but only to the point where it doesn't hurt. Avoid anything that hurts.

Calf stretch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Also wear a night splint throughout the day and at night, to keep the calf stretched. For the same reason, keep the knees relatively straight while sitting.

None of the advice on this page replaces a doctor's advice. :wink:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering from a calf strain right now. I'm very frustrated. I'm a Zumba instructor. I strained it while teaching last week on Wed. Here I was thinking I could return to teaching next week. While reading your posts it doesn't look like it. :sad: :sad: I iced it the first 3 days or so I stopped thinking it was enough,,well it doesn't feel any better. I can put the foot down and "walk" on it but limping a lot to compensate and not feel pain. I bought a sleeve today. I have been doing some gentle stretching. Should I alternate icing/warming or just icing. How do you know what the grade of the injury? I saw a doctor and he recommended all of the above but didn't tell me the extent of the injury. I guess I'm out of commission for a while!!! :cry: need to start some other exercises and stop feeling sorry for myself.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Ice slows circulation, which slows healing. It's only value is to reduce any swelling or bleeding. Warmth is best otherwise. Also see the post directly above yours.