Getting used to eating "Fear foods"

Options
2»

Replies

• ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't fear any food, but I definitely have a healthy respect for the more calorie-dense foods and try to limit my portion sizes when I do eat them. When I make something from scratch that could end up being a calorie bomb (pizza, mac & cheese, etc.) I always enter the ingredients into the MFP recipe calculator to get a rough estimate of how many calories I'll be eating per specific serving size and adjust the serving size to whatever my particular goal is for that day. If you watch your portions you can eat pretty much whatever you want and still maintain.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't fear any food, but I definitely have a healthy respect for the more calorie-dense foods and try to limit my portion sizes when I do eat them. When I make something from scratch that could end up being a calorie bomb (pizza, mac & cheese, etc.) I always enter the ingredients into the MFP recipe calculator to get a rough estimate of how many calories I'll be eating per specific serving size and adjust the serving size to whatever my particular goal is for that day. If you watch your portions you can eat pretty much whatever you want and still maintain.

^^QFT. Macaroni and cheese is awesome, but SUCH a calorie sink! I made a big batch of it the other day and am slowly working my way through it (I cook pretty much only for myself and occasionally share food with a friend or two). Fitting it into my calories might mean I have to adjust my entire day around it, and it definitely meant I had to portion it out, but I did that and that means when I open a foil packet from the fridge, I can plop it on my plate and eat it, no questions asked!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    No fear. My diet is really not the best right now either. (When you work nights, you do things like eat pizza for breakfast.)

I eat everything I love. I don't say NO to anything.

What do I say no to?
    -I say no to eating it EVERYDAY. I love you salt n' vinegar chips but I cannot eat you everyday. (I still have you more than once a week though.) I have one day where I eat like a bird.
    -I say no to overindulging all of the time. (Instead of eating two bowls of cereal post-dinner, how about just a light snack? Or how about just one bowl of cereal for breakfast? Or how about a small bag of salt n vinegar instead of a huge one with a giant Arizona iced tea for lunch?)

I don't avoid. I know it will just inevitably lead to me eating everything around me. And then I won't stop. I love food too much to say no. Just take it slowly---reintroduce the things you love in small portions that fit into your calories for the day.

I like this !
  • HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was terrified of eating a lot of certain foods. My main concerns were Little Debbies snacks, processed frozen meats and other foods, and especially pizza and oily foods.
    I started to tackle my "fear foods" slowly at first, because I started eating the "healthier" versions of the foods. For example, I really missed Little Debbies brownies. But I started off by eating a 90 calorie Fiber brownie. As I was able to tackle those foods, I slowly built back up to the foods I loved before. But I still eat them in moderation, and I can't say that I'm completely find with eating my "fear foods." Someday, I want to build a more healthy relationship with these snacks!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I followed the Atkins plan to lose weight so all the restricted foods were gradually added back in small amounts to test for tolerance during the pre-maintenance and maintenance stages of the plan. This made life easier since it's really all about learning portion control in the end. It was a bit scary but I found a lot of things didn't taste as good as I remembered them. Too bland, too sweet.

There is one item I no longer eat - sour gummy candies. If I ate one I use to eat the whole bag, which is like 1k cals. The sight of them still strikes fear in me tho, even tho I'd probably gag on them now.
  • girliegirlie1
    girliegirlie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive just started a LEAP programme (NHS Dieticians )and have been told to have 8 portions of bread/carbs a day. This is so much more than I have been used to and so I am petrified of putting on whilst eating these amounts. Protein is only 3 portions which I def wanted more. Still im not the expert....
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I fear shellfish due to anaphylactic shock. I fear gluten because celiac disease HURTS! I fear egg yolks because I hate throwing up. I am afraid of the foods that make me sick.

I didn't stop eatong anything while I was losing. Especially not sheopherd's pie. I modified some favorites to use leaner meats and more veggies. I discovered I am less hungry when when I add more protein to my breakfast, so I eat less cereal and more yogurt. I don't really enjoy potato chips anymore, but I love Five Guys fries. I discovered I like almonds. I gave myself permission to eat more pecans.

I am at maintenance now. I eat the same as always. You can measure anything and eat it without fear.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I would say that I'm afraid most to eat a bear or some other wild animal that would, while tasting delicious and be more enjoyable for the thrill of the hunt, possibly kill and eat me instead.

That seems like the scariest food I can think of but pie is scary too

I have eaten bear because he was coming after the deer my dad's good friend shot. Good thing Buddy is a good shot. He now has a 10 point rack over the fireplace and a bearskin rug in front of it. The bear was tough and really greasy. Not good, but if you kill it then you eat it and if there is enough you share. I would eat it if I had to kill it, but I am definitely not going looking for it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this, it's an interesting discussion. I had seen all the advice elsewhere on the forums that cutting things out can be a bad idea as it makes you more prone to 'falling off the wagon', binging and getting discouraged, but I hadn't realised it had this other disadvantage too of creating 'scary foods'. So I will joyfully continue with my approach of eating whatever I want in smaller portions, logging religiously and going over once in a while, in no particular pattern, because I feel like it. I am going to the Chinese Buffet tomorrow night, and I now know it's for the good of my mental health. Hooray!

OP, this sounds like a real challenge for you, but I believe you can do it. If you could adjust your eating patterns so effectively that you got this far, you can adjust them again to get a healthier attitude to food. Just remember, even if t'm numbers aren't exactly precise on one meal, if you're trying to be accurate, it will all balance out.

I say this as someone who, for work, has to calculate the weight of enormous ships by adding up rough estimates of the weight of every item on board, from engines and cabling to cutlery and armchairs. A million little rough guesses can add up to a pretty accurate end result. It all really does come out in the wash.
  • kennedyer627
    kennedyer627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think the key is moderation. I have not reached my maintain weight yet, however my sister is. If you continue with exercise and don't over do it, then you shouldn't be afraid to enjoy.
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I fear buffets, from restaurants to potlucks. I have to plan in advance: I'm only going to take 1/2 cup of rice. No breads (that includes no naan, no pita, no tortilla). I'll take about 4 oz of meat, 1 cup of this veggie, 1 cup of that veggie, 1/2 cup of beans (maybe), sauces and condiments counted by the spoonful. I try to do it quietly so others don't notice and make a big deal out of my dietary changes.

I really fear pasta and pizza, which I love. I've almost given them up entirely since I've been counting calories on MFP. I had a terrible craving, so I made my own spaghetti and meatballs at home. Carefully measured out my portion, which was quite a bit less than I was used to eating. Also included a healthy salad (romaine, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion) to provide additional nutrition and fill me up. I felt really frustrated and still went way over my calorie goal on that day. So I haven't made any pasta dishes since.

I've relatively new (joined about 6 weeks ago). Don't know what the answer to "fear foods" is, but this is an interesting thread.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I understand the OP's point. My "fear" foods are those that require estimating both the portion size and the calorie count. For example, there's a loaf of some kind of (banana, zucchini?) bread in the breakroom. There are hundreds of possible entries in the database, and no way to know which might be close to this recipe. Then almost all of them show a serving as "1 slice" - how big?? I'll still have a piece, but I use very conservative guesses.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Listen to yourself and be honest.

There is no "need" to eat any specific dish. If you know that you have certain trigger foods that launch of a binge, it's fine avoiding them until you get to a point where you can have them under control. It's such bad advice to tell somebody who has binging issues to just "eat in moderation". If it were that simple they wouldn't be asking the question, or having "fear foods" to begin with.

I accepted long ago that ice cream was never going to be something I would be eating in "moderation". I use to be "afraid" of it, and most sweets. Those days are over, not because I learned to have a little each day, but because I have more then enough deficit built into my IFing lifestyle that I can have a couple days a month where I eat as much ice cream as I damn well please, and still lose.

But I restricted sweets for years back in the day when I was weak and eating every sweet in sight. I gained back the 70lbs I lost, plus an additional 70, from losing control for years. The ONLY thing that got me on track was time and restricting sweets until I was a stronger person, in a different mind set.

There is no hurry to eat shepherd's pie, or whatever else. Take your time. There is NO rush in reintroducing any food. Be realistic about your weaknesses and don't listen to anybody who doesn't understand what YOUR issues are.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There are times when accurately counting calories isn't possible. Just do your best and move on. I was on a business trip and we went to a local Thai restaurant where there were no foods of similar names in the database. The only option was to guesstimate calories and move on. Doing that every once and a while rather than daily isn't a going to cause problems either during loss or maintenance.

There are certain foods I do fear, not because they are 'bad' but because I know they are trigger foods for me. It is almost impossible for me to eat them in moderation. Things like potato chips or popcorn fall into that category. During the loss phase I've found it easier just to avoid them like the plague. Eventually I plan to add them back in using pre-packaged portions to help keep me in control. For example buy chips in the snack sized bags and only get one bag out. I will have to make a conscious decision to get up and get another serving.
  • BritBrit515
    BritBrit515 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm apprehensive eating pretty much anything that I haven't prepared myself. Most recipes I make I can accurately figure out with help of the recipe builder, but I get a little twitchy when someone else cooks for me. I'm working on getting over this, its hard to let go of that control sometimes. But I realize its part of real life and I need to adapt to it.

This is my issue too, I am fine with what I make normally, and try to eat what I want for the most part, about 80% of what I eat is pretty darn healthy I think (atleast compared to what I used to eat :/ ) But I get a lil nervous when I eat what someone else prepared... especially when I have dinner at my parents, my dad is not health conscious at all lol.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I'm now entering my third month of maintenance and it has been an interesting experience! I'm still learning. I've only started easing up on my dietary 'restrictions' for about a week now. I've accepted the fact that my weight will fluctuate, so I've brought my weight down a couple of pounds below goal weight so I don't feel uncomfortable when it does bump up a bit. You really just have to ease into it and break down those mental barriers. I just thought, "Screw it, I can't avoid these foods for the rest of my life. My body has to learn to be able to eat and process these foods again." Do not be afraid of your weight going up a bit initially- your body has to adjust. I never counted calories during my weight loss and I don't intend to count calories now. I am, however, mindful of high calorie foods and limiting my portion sizes.

You've come this far to lose the weight you've wanted. Let yourself enjoy food and life again. Lots of people can eat in moderation without counting calories and still stay fit. We can, too.