How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I'm new I've just finished my fifth day diary, so im closing in on my first week, but I'm kinda nervous about weighing myself too early incase I'm disappointed and get discouraged...

Would you say weekly or monthly weight checks are best?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Every day. That way you know exactly where you stand and learn not to freak out if you gain a couple pounds.
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    Every morning when I wake up. After I pee. Naked.

I think it helps to see the fluctuations on the scale... I've learned that my body will fluctuate up to 1 or 2 pounds in either direction depending on water retention. As long as the number is trending downwards over the course of the month (and it is), I don't let it discourage me. Patience truly is your best friend when you're losing weight.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    For the first 6 months I weighed weekly. Then when I was comfortable I now weigh daily you need to be happy to see the fluctuations and after a while you get to know what real weight loss is. I do see people who weigh in daily go into a panic over a pound weight gain so you need to understand if your going to do it that you will have fluctuations and gains but it's the trend that is important. I find it useful and interesting it also takes some of the worry panic that people sometimes get about weigh in day. When everyday is one it doesn't really matter. It really is what your happy doing if you can mentally handle every day do it then if you can't weekly is normally a good period of time. It's whatever is mentally healthy for you and gives you the data you need
  • Mother_Warrior
    Mother_Warrior Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
  • Welshrider
    Welshrider Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This^^
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My official weigh in is once a week. Occasionally I will step on the scale one or twice during the week just to make sure I'm still on track.

When you weigh is a personal preference. If you can handle seeing the number flucuate up and down during the week, then weigh daily. But if seeing a gain sends you into a panic (which is used to do to me!), then just weigh once a week for the first couple of months.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    One every three months!!
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

This^^

Yup! I record every day and don't freak out over small fluctuations! That's the trick to weighing in daily.
  • nanasudo
    nanasudo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every day. I'm a glutton for punishment.....:laugh:
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday so I can see the fluctuations but I think the weekly or monthly check would be fine too if you prefer. Try it out and see what you like best. The important thing to me is not to fret too much over it.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I get up. I have been keeping a log since last August and it really helps me to look back and see trends. I also record how many calories I had the day before. I don't get upset about fluctuations though I am growling because the scale hasn't moved in two weeks. I think it is because I went back to strength training after not having done it in the Christmas break (1 month). Weighing every day works for me!
  • chocorunner122
    Options
    Like once every 3-4 days. It gives me good data and if I have a lot of sodium one day then I usually have a day to recover from it. I don't like weighing myself everyday because it usually makes me feel kinda obsessed over it.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This. I find it very helpful to establish fluctuations.
  • inwardlyrenewed
    inwardlyrenewed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I record weekly on a certain day (Tuesdays for me). I notice a fluctuation in weight during the week, but when it's recorded only weekly I consistently notice a downward trend. (I strategically weigh during the middle of the week a few days after my bigger eating days.)
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Options
    I do it daily, but that is because I have the will power to say "I never want to see that number beneath me on the scale again!" everybody is different. You have to have a strong will to keep going if the numbers are a bit higher. It's completely normal for fluctuation from day to day. Just keep in mind that it can be just water weight. My scale does both BMI and weight, and I do measurements weekly as well. Even if the scale doesn't show a change, your body fat % and measurements might. Some people even keep a scale in the kitchen to remind them to watch what they eat to help them reach their goal. I've never tried it personally, but it seems like it could work. Just keep at it. Oh, and weighing yourself in the nude is the best way to do it, first thing after you clear yourself of any fluids and solids that may need clearing. Good luck.
  • bigruss504
    bigruss504 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, as soon as I wake up, naked. I then take my weekly average and as long as my weekly average is going up or down (depending on the goal at that time), I know that I am eating the right amount for my goal.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Every day. That way you know exactly where you stand and learn not to freak out if you gain a couple pounds.

Me too, for this exact reason!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    As others noted, daily. And record your weight. The weight + food diary data is valuable. I know the nervousness that comes with stepping on the scale. There will be disappointment at times. That is part of the process. However, you can't let nerves and avoidance dictate your decisions and be successful.
  • Wooly_I_am
    Options
    Once a week for me every Friday morning. Problem is if you do it every day your weight can fluctuate as much as 2-4 kgs just from water weight alone.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When I first start cutting calories, every 2 weeks to make sure my calorie allotment is correct. I don't have a digital bathroom scale, so this makes it easier for me to see a loss of 1kg rather than 1lb.

Then, a cursory check every time I remember or I'm curious how my loss is going.

Once I reach 10lbs, I go back to every 2 weeks again and repeat.