Husband-Approved Recipes

Options
13»

Replies

• joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like all the recipes I cook, but I'm not a picky eater.

IMHO, your problem isn't that your husband is a dude, it's that he's a picky eater with a high metabolism. I have similar issues with my kids, so here's my advice:

- Work portion control and serving size. Have an undressed green salad on the table and some steamed vegetables, and if he eats more meat and starch, that's fine, because you can eat more greens.

- Generally reduce dressings and cheeses, and start substituting flavors for added calories. Salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice, lemon pepper, Old Bay seasoning, etc. Add it tableside if he doesn't like it.

- I generally go for a lean meat, a starch, and lots of greens. I eat more of the meat and greens and less of the starch, and it works out fine.

- Find out what he likes, and explore flavors around there. If he's super picky (no vegetables, no fish), you may be stuck with lean beef, chicken and pork in various preparations, but that's all good stuff.

- A George Foreman grill is actually pretty handy during the Polar Vortex.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Last night I made stuffed cannelloni. I made my cannelloni from scratch but you can buy oven ready, no boil cannelloni at the store.

12 Cannelloni noodles
    300g ground beef
    2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
    4 tbsp. parmesan cheese
    1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce (I made homemade for low cal and low sodium)
    2 cups cooked rice

Mix everything (except the noodles) together. Stuff cannelloni noodles. Place in glass baking dish, cover with pasta sauce or cheese and bake 350 for 1 hr. You will have some stuffing left over, just throw it on top.