Celiacs Unite!

Options
Losing weight AND being mandated to be gluten free can be pretty tough. Do I have any fellow celiacs here at MFP?? :smile:

Replies

• grovebunch5
    grovebunch5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac too!
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am not one, but you might look at primal and paleo as a way of eliminating the glutens causing you problems.
    There is a paleo group here and you can probably find a lot of support elsewhere in terms of paleo or primal approaches.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    my hubby is so I may as well be too been cooking gluten fee for 12 years
  • chocorunner122
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiacs disease a few years ago when I started breaking out in these odd hives all over my body. I recently was told by my doctor to try and incorporate gluten back into my diet and see how I tolerate it. Well I have been eating gluten again for about a month and now i am breaking out in those hives on my back and I am having gastrointestinal problems, so I think I'm going to go back to eating gluten-free! It is pretty difficult though, I get what you mean.
  • HealthfullyOffensive
    Options
    I am not one, but you might look at primal and paleo as a way of eliminating the glutens causing you problems.
    There is a paleo group here and you can probably find a lot of support elsewhere in terms of paleo or primal approaches.
    Thank you for the advice, but I already follow a gluten free diet that has helped me lose weight has eliminated my symptoms. But again, thank you for some direction!
    I was diagnosed with celiacs disease a few years ago when I started breaking out in these odd hives all over my body. I recently was told by my doctor to try and incorporate gluten back into my diet and see how I tolerate it. Well I have been eating gluten again for about a month and now i am breaking out in those hives on my back and I am having gastrointestinal problems, so I think I'm going to go back to eating gluten-free! It is pretty difficult though, I get what you mean.
    Ouch, I have that rash too, but mine is on the back of my head at the base of my scalp. It's reeeally awful, maybe as bad as the gastrointestinal issues. I know I can never have gluten again... Which sucks, but I found out it was a major cause for my weight issues due to the damage it's been doing to my intestines,. As annoying as it is, it's worth it.
  • lilfarm
    lilfarm Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I.m allergic to gluten.
    Quitting gluten has helped with weighoss
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not full on celiac but I am extremely intolerant to gluten and I have a bunch of other food intolerances to go along with it. I eat pretty much paleo because it fits in with what food I can tolerate. I do have a little dairy now and then as I can handle small amounts but grains in general seem to hate me and I can't do nightshades. I'm so thankful for the paleo movement because there are tons of recipes to choose from!
  • Purplemonster5
    Options
    I had a negative biopsy but every time I eat gluten I get dreadful mouth ulcers x feel free to add me anyone x
  • Purplemonster5
    Options
    I had a negative biopsy but every time I eat gluten I get dreadful mouth ulcers x feel free to add me anyone x
  • karen1105mfp
    karen1105mfp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, me! I just (re-joined) MFP this week. I'm now following the Paleo lifestyle, as it fits very well with someone who cannot have gluten or dairy (I just found out I'm intolerant to dairy). I'm doing awesome with this lifestyle! Feel free to add me.
  • sarajessicafit
    sarajessicafit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Celiac and Lactose Intolerant over here!
  • celiacgirl1
    celiacgirl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Celiac with IBS and fibromyalgia. Lots of other food sensitivities and I'm allergic to dairy,
    I have the opposite problem, I'm trying to gain weight.
    I don't eat meat or poultry. I eat organic healthy foods, but they aren't calorie dense.
    I realize it could also be absorption issues from the celiac. I take glutamine and lots of other supplements and probiotics.
    I'm adding avocados, nut butters and coconut oil so now am heavy on fat, but still not enough calories!
    I can't eat enough calories to maintain my weight let alone gain, so I joined MFP hoping to make a more concerted effort.
    Anybody else with this problem?
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have yet to be diagnosed, but something is amiss in there. Anyway... anyone who wants to add me, please do! I think it is helpful to hear what others are going through to figure out our own issues with health.
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • celiacgirl1
    Options
    I have celiac and lots of other food allergies, common with celiac. You can have negative test results and still have celiac. Did they do the genetic blood tests? Allopathic medicine is not as reliable as they would like us to believe so you are right to listen to your body.
  • celiacgirl1
    Options
    If you have celiac disease you can NEVER EAT GLUTEN! it will damage your upper intestine and hinder your ability to digest and absorb the nutrients you need from any food. I was misdiagnosed and even though I cut out wheat I didn't know how pervasive gluten is. My ability to absorb food is compromised. I'm 5'3" and under 85 lbs. it is scary. Please be careful, check every label, even medications can contain gluten. It can take less than 1/8 of a teaspoon to cause a reaction and more damage to the villi.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for Celiac, but I have a very high intolerance to gluten. I am low-carbing and could use some like-minded friends!!
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for coeliac but I have strong reactions to gluten ( gastro,multiple miscarriages, arthritis etc) - I eliminated it completely from my diet 2 years ago on the doctors advice. My health is way more important than whether a test says neg or pos!!! I also have problems when I eat a lot of dairy so am in the process of eliminating that but am finding it a lot harder. My diary is always open and I am happy to share recipes etc. Feel free to add :)
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tested but I am sure I am seriously gluten intolerant. I spent most of my life completely sick and always wondering why. I finally googled my symptoms all together and saw that I may be allergic to gluten. I gave it up and a few days later I was feeling good and within a month I felt like a brand new person. I have gained about 20 pounds since cutting gluten out. It has been a struggle. I would like more gluten free friends to share with.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    gluten free and plant based,. i had ulcerative colitis its in remission since changing my lifestyle.. i dont do well with meat eggs, dairy, or gluten.. i make all my own foods. feel free to add me.. i also have a great group.. the link is in my profile.. released over 200 pounds.. reaching goal this time.. no excuses.
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So I have been concerned with having celiacs for some time now. I have had stomach issues and have been chubby my whole life. The only times I ever felt 'good' have been when I switch to a low carb way of eating, as in no gluten! Then last week I was reading how many people are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease for years and never know it, and the signs. One of the signs that I never thought would be on that list was "chicken skin on the backs of your arms" well heck! I have had that since I can remember, along with the other signs, and come to think of it, my bf does too. I recently sent my genetic sample to twenty three and me and the findings were that I am 9x more likely to develop Crohns disease and 3x more likely to develop celiac disease.

So how do I go about getting tested for Celiac? Should I just skip it and continue eating the gluten free way?