never hungry and not hitting calorie goal.

Options
I have a problem with not being hungry. I have never really been a big eater. I have always had the problem of just eating what my family eats witch is fast food a lot. I just eat to eat. Now that I'm watching my calories I realize that I never want breakfast so I force myself to eat something. I have coffee every morning with creamer. NOT GIVING IT UP. lol The big problem I'm having it that by the time I go to eat dinner I usually have like 550 to 700 calories left for the say. So I always fall under the 1200 calories or more if I work out. Should I be at least make my lunch calories more? I feel like I'm setting myself up for starvation mode if I'm not already there. I have made my food log available to look at.

Replies

• obki45
    obki45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh Thank God you have said this,I have only joined today, and for the first time done diary log it tells me i will pick up weigh with my food as i dont eat enough, i have the same problem as you, i am not hungry, And if you dont mind i will be eagerly waiting the long time people on myfintesspal to answer. Also i am on a lot of meds, so this might be the cause of not eating, but i have picked up so much weight. If you are excercising from what i have read you need to keep up with the good calories,. try homemade vegie soup with br. bread. I might be wrong.
  • snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this. I first joined MFP about a year ago and logged a couple of days of eating, and realised I was WAY under-eating. I had no idea, because I certainly didn't feel like I was starving myself. I always skipped breakfast and often had no lunch, and could end up only eating 500 calories a day.

So, I've gradually, over the last few months, been building it up. I eat a Greek yoghurt every morning, with a handful of "bits" thrown in. I also now have lunch, too. I tend to have salad with something high in natural fats - today I had tinned sardines, avocado and feta cheese in it. Then I have a regular dinner.

I'm now usually around 1200 - 1300 calories a day, and I'm working on increasing it even more. I can burn 800 calories in one gym session and I go every day, near enough, so I need to eat that back, too, to have a reasonable net.

It's still very easy for me to miss meals. Today, it got to 4pm before I realised I hadn't had any lunch, because I still don't feel that hunger. However, I am finding more and more now that when I start to eat, my body starts to realise that it was actually hungry in the first place - it just wasn't telling me. That's a whole new sensation.

My advice would be to try to never skip a meal. Eat something at every meal time, and gradually increase your intake over weeks and months. You need to teach your body to take the food you're giving it. I'm not saying it's easy, because it's not, but I'm getting there and so can you.

Good luck!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to eat more? Why dont you open up your diary and lll take a look at it to help you out...Are you logging your oils/butters every other calorie drink?
  • smilingrn
    smilingrn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also find that after working out I am not hungry at all, and was having a hard time eating back my exercise calories. What I found that works for me if I have several hundred calories left, I grab a handful of walnuts or almonds. They are high in calories, and are a good fat.
  • RMitchellMiller
    Options
    I can relate. I feel as though the "counter" gave me too many calories. I am a large person by nature, 6 ft tall and very muscular. I have also rarely fluctuated in weight - going up and down only 20 lbs in the past 25 years when my first child was born. I literally have pants from 1990 in my closet. I have a desk job that I cannot leave for lunch or breaks, so I bring salad etc. I have been logging for a week and am consistently under 500+ calories from the recommended allotment.
    Any advice would be welcome. Daughter is getting married and really want to go down to a size 12 (20lbs) for her wedding.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I feel as though the "counter" gave me too many calories. I am a large person by nature, 6 ft tall and very muscular. I have also rarely fluctuated in weight - going up and down only 20 lbs in the past 25 years when my first child was born. I literally have pants from 1990 in my closet. I have a desk job that I cannot leave for lunch or breaks, so I bring salad etc. I have been logging for a week and am consistently under 500+ calories from the recommended allotment.
    Any advice would be welcome. Daughter is getting married and really want to go down to a size 12 (20lbs) for her wedding.

Open up your diary and Ill look at it to see what you might be missing
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with not being hungry. I have never really been a big eater. I have always had the problem of just eating what my family eats witch is fast food a lot. I just eat to eat. Now that I'm watching my calories I realize that I never want breakfast so I force myself to eat something. I have coffee every morning with creamer. NOT GIVING IT UP. lol The big problem I'm having it that by the time I go to eat dinner I usually have like 550 to 700 calories left for the say. So I always fall under the 1200 calories or more if I work out. Should I be at least make my lunch calories more? I feel like I'm setting myself up for starvation mode if I'm not already there. I have made my food log available to look at.

Your food diary isn't set to public. To open it for us to see you need to go to Settings > Diary Settings > Public

Without seeing what you're already eating it's tough to give specific advice. Unfortunately, hunger is not the best way to determine whether or not you're eating enough since the hormones that control hunger can be suppressed by so many different things. Energy levels, mood, performance, hair and nails, etc all have to be taken into account.

Most dieters who report eating too little tend to have cut their fats back drastically. This isn't necessarily a good thing since your body needs fats to help with hormones, cell rebuilding, vitamin absorption, as well as satiation. Look for calorie dense foods that pack a lot of calories into a little volume. Nuts, nut butter, cheese, full fat dairy, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, etc. Even a little ice cream or a candy bar to help boost you to a healthy level.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, but if that's all your eating, how did you ever gain weight in the first place? It doesn't seem possible.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1. Starvation is not something you need to worry about.

2. If you are truly eating under your goals each day and not hungry then by all means go ahead and maintain that lifestyle - you'll lose weight.

3. But be aware, you can trick your diary, trick your MFP friends and even trick yourself but your body keeps an accurate record. If you've gotten fat (leaving off some unusual medical reason) then you're eating more calories than you've burned.

Personally I'd love to not be hungry. I eat around 2000 calories a day (of clean, vegetarian food, no junk) and I'm pretty much always hungry.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Because I'm following new restrictions (medical requirement from my doc) of reduced carb and low sodium, I too find it hard some days to get all my calories in which is really something I thought I'd never say. LOL When I first started here, I was so ravenously hungry I could have eaten cardboard and been happy. Thankfully I figured out how to improve on that.

My opinion is give it some time. You'll learn what works for you and gradually adjust your eating habits. Search out new recipes, tweak your menu from day to day and don't be too hard on yourself at first.

Some of my go to foods when I need to add on are nuts, greek yogurt, cheese sticks, frozen banana slices (so I can have just a couple at a time due to carbs), salsa and a few chips, Mission carb control tortilla wraps (great for loading up with protein, cheese, veggies and/or eggs), hard boiled eggs, veggies of all sorts, berries, baked chicken and canned tuna..
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight too rapidly?
  • cutiepie9447
    cutiepie9447 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, but if that's all your eating, how did you ever gain weight in the first place? It doesn't seem possible.

I second this...

Also, I think "starvation mode" is a crock...bariatric patients that have weight loss surgery are unable to eat 1200 calories for months or possibly years...hence the reason they LOSE WEIGHT

I have had a hard time eating 1200 calories for the past 2 months but I have an appetite suppressant to jump start my weight loss...some days I eat 600 calories...some days 800...I've lost 30 lbs and quite a few inches...my body is not starving. The worry is that obviously I won't eat like this forever and when appetite comes back the pounds are gonna fly back on. However, I believe that if you educate yourself and make a lifestyle change you will be fine. It may take a bit of tweaking but you will figure out what works for yourself and your body.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP, but I drank my weight gain over the course of several years. Food was never an issue for me, and most days I struggle to get to 1400 calories.
  • Hopingtobe150
    Hopingtobe150 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good questoin on how I gained weight. I was not eating the right foods. I would make myself eat what my family was eating. eaning McDonalds Wendy's. Now I'm trying to watch what I eat I'm finding that I'm not hungry. I was drinking at least 10 cups of coffee a day with creamer. which at 140 a pop plus mcdonalds and being very depressed I about my father dying who I to care of for 4 years. In those four years I really didn't eat until bedtime and that was a trip to Mcdonalds because I was so tired from taking care of him all day. My dairy is open to public now I thought that I hit the save button earlier but I didn't.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I'm not the OP, but I drank my weight gain over the course of several years. Food was never an issue for me, and most days I struggle to get to 1400 calories.

This was me, too. I drank a lot of my calories in soda, especially when I worked night shift. I also ate fewer foods, but they were always calorie-dense fast food options and/or mindless snacking throughout the day. I could never really sit down for a meal, so I just ate whatever, whenever and didn't keep track. It's very easy to consume a lot of calories without consuming a lot of food and be satisfied. I eat more, by volume, everyday now than I did before I decided to change my lifestyle.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the last few days.

You get pretty close to your goal. Maybe get a few snacks in there. Try fewer, lighter snacks spaced out so you won't get overwhelmed--like an apple, and then maybe some almonds, and then maybe some Jello, just as suggestions. My mom and I used to like using those SmartOnes, Healthy Choice, etc. meals and she would add to them--some extra veggies, some brown rice, whatever "fit."
  • JenMoralesSpear
    Options
    Try drinking some of your calories to hit your goal. A glass of orange juice or milk are good healthy choices. You could also pick healthy, calorie dense foods like an avocado or a handful of cashews.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

This is me too. Tracking in the early days made me realize just how much I was drinking, even though I have a super-healthy diet. I wish I could go back a few years and slap myself across the face.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not true. Perhaps it is if you are a starving child in Africa. Put that that silliness out of your head. If you feel good and you truly don't feel like eating and are overweight, you can save up calories. When I first started out, I felt so virtuous that for the first few days, it wasn't hard to eat almost nothing at all. But after a few days of being virtuous, my body started screaming at me. It wasn't pretty. This was all before I joined MFP and I was still very ignorant about nutrition. Could you perhaps be going through a new virtuous phase?
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! Good luck on everyone's journeys, wherever you're at. :)

I wish I could go back a few years and slap myself across the face.

If you figure out how to do it, please let me know so I can do the same!