Egg whites no yolk?

Options
I see all the time that people only eat the egg whites and i always wondered why not just eat the whole egg?
It hurts my soul to see someone throw away that delicious egg yolk lol, especially since thats where all the good vitamins are and its full of healthy fats.

Replies

• aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand that statement, but it's also where most of the calories are. Personally though, I can't stand egg whites. They need the yolk to taste edible!
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand that statement, but it's also where most of the calories are. Personally though, I can't stand egg whites. They need the yolk to taste edible!

Agreed! i cant just eat egg whites, it has no flavor.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Egg yolk is my favourite part! And really, an egg yolk is, what, 50-60 calories? I can definitely incorporate that into my allowance :smile:
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do it when I want a higher protein:fat ratio - especially if I'm adding some fat in like a bit of cheese or some mayo for egg salad. Sometimes you want a lot of egg protein but for every portion of egg protein you don't want all the fat (i usually do keep a yolk or two for, as you mentioned, the healthy fats and nutrients from the yolk). It's the same idea as eating leaner meats like chicken and turkey vs. beef except you manually remove some of the fat, which you can't do with meat as well especially if it's ground!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It's not that many calories, folks!!! C'mon... eat the whole thing!
  • 000Linda000
    000Linda000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I'm just eating one or two eggs, I'll have it whole. But if I want to up my protein if I had an intense workout the daybefore, I'll have 4 egg, but take out 2 or three of the yolk.

Also, I really can't stand the taste of just egg yolks.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    In my view, an egg was meant to be consumed whole. The yolk has most of the fats and nutrients, while the white delivers some protein. Egg whites on their own can actually deplete some vitamins (biotin is one of them if I remember right) without some of the stuff in the yolk to balance it out.
  • lrob98
    lrob98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was randomly searching for info on egg whites vs. egg yolks when I came across this thread. I've recently started eating egg whites for breakfast. I've been having trouble with getting the proper amount of protein. I've been having scrambled egg whites with spinach & grilled chicken...I must say YUM!

I get that the egg yolk has a lot of nutrients. However, it also has a LOT of cholesterol (over half the daily suggested intake in a single egg yolk.) I can't justify taking in that much cholesterol, even for the nutritional benefits.

But that's just me. :smile: