Make-Ahead Breakfasts (Recipe included!)

Options
I... I am not a morning person. At all. So I'm a huge fan of breakfasts I can make on the weekend, chuck in the freezer and simply throw in the microwave for a minute or two and eat either during my commute or when I'm sitting in my classroom waiting for the students to come in. If anybody has a tried and true recipe I'd love to add some to my options.

I'll start by offering a new recipe I tried this morning and LOVED.

Here's a link to the original recipe: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/06/country-breakfast-bowls-freezable/

And here is the recipe I modified, with the calorie count.

Country Breakfast Bowls
Makes 6 servings

2.5 lbs sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
Freshly cracked pepper
9 large eggs
1½ cups salsa (I used Pace chunky mild)
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and cut the potatoes into one-inch cubes. Place the potato cubes in a large bowl and add the olive oil, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. Toss the potatoes until they are well coated in oil and seasoning.

2. Line a baking sheet with foil and give it a light spritz of non-stick spray. Spread the potatoes out over the baking sheet so they are in a single layer. If they don’t fit, prepare a second baking sheet and divide the potatoes between the two. Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for 45min to one hour, or until they are tender and toasted. Stir the potatoes once, about half way through.

3. When the potatoes are close to being finished, crack the eggs into a large bowl and gently whisk them. Spritz a large skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-low. Pour in the eggs. Gently move the eggs around the skillet until they are mostly solid, but still moist in appearance. Be careful not to over cook the eggs at this point because they will cook further upon reheating the breakfast bowls.

4. To prepare the bowls, divide the roasted potatoes between six freezer safe containers. Add ¼ cup of salsa to each container. Divide the scrambled eggs among the six containers and then top with about ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
Chill the bowls in the refrigerator before transferring to the freezer. Or, leave them in the refrigerator if you plan to eat them within 5-6 days.
*TIP: Refrigerate all the bowls for at least three hours before putting into the freezer. This will help reduce the size of ice crystals and your food won't get as freezer damaged.

Nutrition count (as determined by the MFP recipe calculator):
Calories: 414
Carbs: 44
Protein: 19
Fat: 18
Fiber: 8

Replies

• Kacie_88
    Kacie_88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No breakfasts? :cry:
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump because this sounds epic. How much is a serving?
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    http://www.macheesmo.com/2012/04/breakfast-sandwiches-revisited/

I have these in my freezer now except I made them with mushrooms and green peppers (I only froze the egg part). They're pretty good. Just under 300 calories all together.
  • Jelise24
    Jelise24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually had a chance to make these yet, but thought I'd share...

Cheddar Egg Muffins - From: Wheat Belly Cookbook

INGREDIENTS

For the sausage:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 pound ground turkey
    1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For the muffins:
    2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in oil), finely chopped
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    8 large eggs
    1 tablespoon chives

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
    In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for five minutes or until onion has browned and softened. Remove from skillet and cool for 10 minutes.
    In a medium bowl, combine turkey and the onion mixture. Add the rest of the sausage ingredients, and mix with your hands until thoroughly blended.
    Form patties of desired width and thickness (3-inch wide by 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick works well) by hand. Cook in the skillet over medium heat for eight minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees and the meat is no longer pink. Set aside to cool, then chop and crumble sausage into bite-size pieces.
    In a large bowl, combine broccoli, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, basil, oregano, onion powder, and salt.
    In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour into the broccoli mixture and mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups and top with chives.
    Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Bump. These recipes sound great.
  • Honnuh
    Honnuh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I made cinnamon, apple & banana muffins, but the recipe still needs tweaking as they were far too dry. Will post here when theyre perfected!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Any kind of egg muffins (I made some with 9 eggs, 7.5oz of ham, 2oz of low fat cheddar and 1/4 cup of milk), pancakes, overnight oats... Or just have some Greek yogurt, or make a batch of oatmeal on the week end and reheat a portion every morning.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    Bump!
  • imnotonadiet
    Options
    I've actually made something like this several times and it's awesome. I love freezable meals I can just reheat. Beth from Budget Bytes also recently posted this gem:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/heat-eat-oatmeal/

I'll probably try it this week with all this cold weather -_-
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    bump - sorry I have nothing to add but this sounds like total yum!!
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A) greek yogurt
    B) Protein breakfast smoothie (fruit, oats, peanut butter, etc)

C) Bacon-wrapped Omelette Muffins

Ingredients:
    - 8 eggs
    - 12 strips of bacon (raw)
    - 3/4 cup of low-fat shredded cheese (flavor of choice)
    - non-stick spray
    - (optional: diced tomatoes, spinach, onion, etc)

Directions:
    - scramble the 8 eggs together.
    - take a muffin pan and line the inside "ring" of each muffin section with a raw piece of bacon. The bacon will overlap itself.
    - spray non-stick spray in the bottom of each muffin tin once you have lined each section with bacon.
    - evenly distribute the scrambled eggs into each muffin section, careful not to "unstick" the bacon from the sides of each muffin section.
    - bake on 350-degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or until eggs start to rise and are slightly "hard."
    - evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of each egg muffin.
    - continue baking on 350 for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and eggs/bacon are cooked through.
    - broil approximately 1 minute so that cheese/eggs are a golden color.

calories = 90-95 per muffin

D) Breakfast sandwiches:
    - english muffin, slice of cheese, 1 eggs, meat of choice. make ahead, wrap in saran wrap, store in fridge.

E) bowl of fruit with with greek yogurt, topped with some cinnamon

F) mini pancakes (make a huge batch, add blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, etc -- whatever kind of fruit you like -- to the batter. once cool, store in large ziplock bag in the fridge, and eat 2-3 for breakfast. top with honey, syrup, or yogurt.
  • StephyGetsHealthy
    Options
    bump for reference.

yum!
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I take it one step easier and make scrambled eggs in a jar. Crack an egg into a glass canning jar (jelly jar size, 1 cup), and add a few drops of olive oil or a tablespoon of cottage cheese or leftover cooked veggies.

I take that to work and microwave it for 30-60 seconds, stopping halfway through to stir. It's moist and delicious and the easiest breakfast ever!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I do egg cups all the time:

in a muffin pan put 1 pice of ham/turkey (sandwich meat) to act as a cup place some chopped onion/green pepper into the basket, a small dash of chili powder and then crack an egg into the basket. Add a little salt & pepper (and I usually break the yolk with a fork) and then bake at 350 for 20-25 min (until egg is cooked). I top with a small piece of cheese once done. I take them to work and microwave them for like 20 seconds. they rock my world.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    bump!!! sounds awesome!!
  • frannie078
    frannie078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking smoothies for a while. I switched to green smoothies recently to increase my veggie intake. Here is a good site for ideas: http://simplegreensmoothies.com/
    I make them the night before so I don't wake the family in the morning trying to grind up the ingredients.