Raw Veganism - Is it healthy?

Options
I'll be honest up front, I'm not someone who's going to be going raw vegan. I used to be a vegan but have since gone back to a normal omnivore diet. I am just curious whether someone can be a RAW vegan and be healthy because every raw vegan I know is extremely skinny and looks a little unhealthy. I know being a vegan alone does not result in one being a toothpick though, because I was a 250 pound vegan for 2 years, lmfao. I ate a lot of processed foods, which of course would not be available to raw folks though.

So my question is, if you are a raw vegan can you add me as a friend so I can see your food diary and compare it to my own? That way I can have an educated opinion when I see people picking on raw vegans for being deficient in vitamins or protein.

Thank you :-)
-Will-

Replies

• Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Many foods have more nutrients released when you cook them. If you want pretend man never discovered fire turn off you central heat too, you will lose weight! :laugh:
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You can be healthy on almost any diet, it just means it's going to be harder (require more thought) when you limit food types and cooking methods.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It's a huge commitment.
  • Bsking78
    Bsking78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think so. google there are many folks that are raw dieters and very healthy. Personally I can't hack it. I feel to hungry. My wife is mostly raw and handle rather well. she is skinny but not at all anorexic. So yes you can
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It seems like it could be healthy, like any diet, if properly planned for calories and macro/micros. It has to be a huge pain in the *kitten* though because things like eating out have to be near impossible. A vegetarian dish at a restaurant is expected to me as something even a bad chef should know he has to provide. A good place should have a vegan option, but still many don't. Raw vegan? At some point you can't blame the chefs for not keeping you in mind. A lot of people don't eat out much or at all though but still I have a hard time imagining living my life without an occasional visit to a nice place.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Will, is blatant extremism and restrictionism ever healthy?
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Some foods can have a negative impact on thyroid function when eaten raw for people who already have low thyroid (stuff like broccoli). If you happen to have any health issues, I would do a little research before going for it but at the very least you will have to be careful to get all your required nutrients and make sure you are eating in a way that will optimize absorption.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am sure it can be if you put some effort and research into it. It'd be harder to overeat as a raw vegan I'd imagine, but that's not necessarily so if you eat a lot. I can easily eat a 3lbs salad and you can drizzle cold-pressed oil over quite a bit so I suspect with a bit of effort I could consume 2000-3000 cals on raw food. I have high iron, so iron wouldn't be a problem. I'd have to take a vitamin B12 supplement obviously. Whether it would be healthy is another question. Short term it'll probably be okay, but after 2-3 years? Who knows.

Another issue is that I frequently see teenage girls doing such things and they do that during a time when they need more calories and more nourishment as they are still developing. I suspect that for them it is probably not healthy. Sorry I am not being helpful and just rambling on :blushing:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's possible but requires great effort and good knowledge of nutrition to ensure all nutrient needs are met. It would be hard to get adequate protein without cooking (think beans and pulses, most of which must be cooked).