Glucosamine?

Options
Anybody take glucosamine for sore joints? I've heard it will help my achy knees....The circuit training and yoga are really doing a number on my knees, but I don't want to stop either one until I reach my goal weight.
Thanks!

Replies

• DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    It does work I swear by it...When I started working out i used to do the stepper alot and noticed my knee was starting to bother me...I read about it and started taken it in about a week it stopped bothering me..Now I take it everyday...
  • jmassardo
    Options
    I had a pretty bad knee injury when I was in college and I've been taking a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement for several years and I can say, It does help a lot. It will take a week or two before it really starts helping.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken it but my dad used to. i know that you can get it in 2 different formats, a glucosamine sulfide and a glucosamine chloride. I am not sure what the difference is between them for effectiveness or ease of absorption, but you should be able to find out online.
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM supplement to prevent knee issues. I used to have so problems years ago. I started running and cycling in May and haven't had any problems at all. I definitely think they work.
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I took glucosamine to recover from my knee injury last year and still use it for maintenance. Another thing that I have recently discovered is foam rolling. I have really tight IT bands and quads and this has really helped me. Just google foam roller exercises and there are lots out there. When you first start out it's best to roll every other day and only for 15 or 20 mins. It has really helped me with my knees and quads.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Totally works and totally worth it! I take "Elations" brand, which is in "juice" form. They say it works faster than the pills and I would agree, also the pills were so hard for me to remember. Useful tip is that it is an eligible expenditure for an HSA (not sure about FSA though with the new health care bill and all). We give our 10 year old dog the pill form twice a day and it has made a HUGE difference for him...he jumps around, keeps up with the 2 year old pup, and generally acts about 1/2 his age.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Anybody take glucosamine for sore joints? I've heard it will help my achy knees....The circuit training and yoga are really doing a number on my knees, but I don't want to stop either one until I reach my goal weight.
    Thanks!

Glucosamine can have limited benefits for specific conditions. It is not useful for overuse types of syndromes, which is most likely what you have. You are better off treating the actual problem(s) with stretching, strengthening, and alternative exercises.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me this...try it for 30 days, and if it helps, keep taking it. If it doesn't, you're wasting your money.

I did, and it helped tremendously. That said, so did losing 30 pounds and building muscle around my bum knee.

My senior dog takes it as well...when he's off the glucosamine/chondroiton, he's gimpy and has a tough time getting up. After being on it for a few weeks, it goes away.
  • Anglophile
    Options
    I'm very skeptical, but after hearing several people swear by G., I tried it for achy knees. I forget how long it took, seems like at least 2 weeks, but the pains went away.

When I ran out and didn't re-stock for a couple of weeks, I started hurting again. That's when I became a true believer.

BTW, if you look for "Buy One Get One Free" deals at Walgreens or wherever, and clip coupons, you can get real deals. I've gone online and printed $5 coupons and have found $6 coupons in the papers.
    Hope that helps!