Frustrated! Not losing weight or inches!! Help!

Options
Hello Friends,

I am so frustrated! I switched things up to get away from so much cardio and started lifting a month ago. I still do cardio, just not nearly as much. I upped my calories after being told I wasn't eating enough and that could be my problem, but I'm still not losing anything, not even inches! I lift moderate/heavy 3 days a week for about 45mins each time followed by 15mins of cardio. I also do 45 mins of cardio twice a week. I do additional cardio on the weekend if I know I am going out so I don't go over my calories drastically. Oh and I am in a beginners class for Crossfit, and I do that 2-3 times a week for approx. 45mins.

Female
5'7"
CW 159
GW 145

Calories 1500/day

Any help would be appreciated. I am getting so discouraged and don't know what else to do. My wedding is this year and I really want to feel good in my dress!

Thanks

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

I am so frustrated! I switched things up to get away from so much cardio and started lifting a month ago. I still do cardio, just not nearly as much. I upped my calories after being told I wasn't eating enough and that could be my problem, but I'm still not losing anything, not even inches! I lift moderate/heavy 3 days a week for about 45mins each time followed by 15mins of cardio. I also do 45 mins of cardio twice a week. I do additional cardio on the weekend if I know I am going out so I don't go over my calories drastically. Oh and I am in a beginners class for Crossfit, and I do that 2-3 times a week for approx. 45mins.

Female
    5'7"
    CW 159
    GW 145

Calories 1500/day

Any help would be appreciated. I am getting so discouraged and don't know what else to do. My wedding is this year and I really want to feel good in my dress!

Thanks

Open your diary.

Are you weighing all of your solid food and measuring all of your liquids? people tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating, I've done it myself. It's easy to do, even if you are measuring everything. Calculate your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and subtract 200-400 calories and use that as your goal for the day. Don't eat back exercise calories when doing that. After a month or so, measure and weigh and see what your results are and make adjustments in your calorie goals based on what you've achieved so far. It's very important to be accurate with your calories in, so get a good food scale and weigh everything!
  • LisaFieldsStafford
    Options
    I have a couple simple suggestions. Give up table salt and switch to Celtic Sea Salt and go Paleo. Eat eggs, fish, chicken, meat, plus fruits, non-starchy veggies plus sweet potatoes, and healthy fats like avocados and nuts and olive oil. Read the book It Starts With Food and do the Whole 30 to really simplify and get what The Paleo Diet is.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree with mccindy.

Also, because you just started lifting you might see some water and glycogen retention and depending on how little you were eating before you might see some added water retention due to an increase in calories.

With that being said, weighing, measuring, and logging is the key to the bank. Are you counting condiments? Cream in your coffee? All beverages?
  • krazykate483
    krazykate483 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,

Female
    5'7"
    CW 159
    GW 145

Calories 1500/day

Thanks

Open your diary.

Are you weighing all of your solid food and measuring all of your liquids? people tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating, I've done it myself. It's easy to do, even if you are measuring everything. Calculate your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and subtract 200-400 calories and use that as your goal for the day. Don't eat back exercise calories when doing that. After a month or so, measure and weigh and see what your results are and make adjustments in your calorie goals based on what you've achieved so far. It's very important to be accurate with your calories in, so get a good food scale and weigh everything!
    I am weighing and measuring everything. I even tend to overestimate things a little just to make sure I don't go over my allotted calories. And I have looked up my TDEE...It's hard to estimate it with lifting because it doesn't burn as many calories, but I think its around 2200...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I have a couple simple suggestions. Give up table salt and switch to Celtic Sea Salt and go Paleo. Eat eggs, fish, chicken, meat, plus fruits, non-starchy veggies plus sweet potatoes, and healthy fats like avocados and nuts and olive oil. Read the book It Starts With Food and do the Whole 30 to really simplify and get what The Paleo Diet is.

You don't have to do Paleo to lose, just sayin.
  • krazykate483
    Options
    Yup, agree with mccindy.

Also, because you just started lifting you might see some water and glycogen retention and depending on how little you were eating before you might see some added water retention due to an increase in calories.

With that being said, weighing, measuring, and logging is the key to the bank. Are you counting condiments? Cream in your coffee? All beverages?
    It has been a month though, wouldn't water retention from not eating enough or starting a new exercise regime be pretty much gone by now?

And yes I log condiments as well. I only drink water...and a lotttt of it!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With so little weight to lose, you must set your goal to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories for two weeks. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    With so little weight to lose, you must set your goal to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories for two weeks. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

this^^
  • krazykate483
    Options

Per MFP, if I put sedentary (because I sit at a desk most of the day) and I put .5lb a week it gives me 1640, so then eat my exercise calories on top of that? I don't really know how many to eat with lifting...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Yup, agree with mccindy.

It has been a month though, wouldn't water retention from not eating enough or starting a new exercise regime be pretty much gone by now?

And yes I log condiments as well. I only drink water...and a lotttt of it!
    If you are doing all that and aren't losing, then reduce calories. You aren't eating at a deficit if it isn't producing results after an extended period of time.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the Cross Fit classes on top of weight training 3x/week, plus the cardio? If so, that seems like a LOT of exercise to me! My body clung to weight when I was exercising a lot, 6-7 days a week. When I backed off a little, I lost 3 to 5 pounds.

Other than that, I would recommend cycling your calories (higher intake one day, lower the next), drinking more water, and mixing up what you eat in terms of food or macros. Hope that helps, and good luck!
  • joshlawrence737
    Options
    Are you doing the Cross Fit classes on top of weight training 3x/week, plus the cardio? If so, that seems like a LOT of exercise to me! My body clung to weight when I was exercising a lot, 6-7 days a week. When I backed off a little, I lost 3 to 5 pounds.

Other than that, I would recommend cycling your calories (higher intake one day, lower the next), drinking more water, and mixing up what you eat in terms of food or macros. Hope that helps, and good luck!

This is not an extreme amount of exercise, its a healthy amount.
  • pcindc08
    Options
    other than beginning to deprive yourself, maybe you've simply reached the capability limit for your body. it sure doesn't sound like you can do any more exercise, and if you lose nutrients, you're going to get sick. the only thing I could possibly imagine is if you eat like bodybuilders...because it sounds like with all you're doing, you probably just have tiny little fat deposits in places where you want to be slim. The only way you can fix that is to do what bodybuilders do - completely remove fats from your diet and go completely lean, until your body has eaten up all the stored fat. You say you're worried about feeling good in your dress - I worry that your issue isn't the dress, but your own body image. Women tend to focus on the things we don't have, rather than the wonderful things we do. I hope you have plenty of self-love going on....stress can cause your body to hold onto things you don't want... good luck! and congratulations on your success! many of us aren't able to exercise because of injuries and would love to do even one day of your exhaustive plan. Celebrate!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Even if you weight and measure everything if the entry you choose is not correct you are off.

I have seen a lot of people say they weigh and measure everything and when I see their diary they don't.

There are entries for 1c brown rice...Yah no that needs weighed...

Entries for 2 pitas...yah no that needs weighed...

Entries for Homemade or Generic...Yah no...build the recipe yourself or find the USDA entry to ensure accuracy.

As well you can create your own foods if you see an entry check the nutrional value and edit it if it's not correct (esp if it's something you eat a lot of) and it can be found under the "MY FOODS" tab...I do that all the time

ETA: I know 2 people of similar stats are not the same but I am your height, lift heavy 3x a week and do 2 HIIT sessions a week and eat 1600 everyday...I am older as well (which usually means less calories) but I have lost 2.5lbs in 2 weeks...I weigh everything...and I mean everything...even prepackaged food.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    other than beginning to deprive yourself, maybe you've simply reached the capability limit for your body. it sure doesn't sound like you can do any more exercise, and if you lose nutrients, you're going to get sick. the only thing I could possibly imagine is if you eat like bodybuilders...because it sounds like with all you're doing, you probably just have tiny little fat deposits in places where you want to be slim. The only way you can fix that is to do what bodybuilders do - completely remove fats from your diet and go completely lean, until your body has eaten up all the stored fat. You say you're worried about feeling good in your dress - I worry that your issue isn't the dress, but your own body image. Women tend to focus on the things we don't have, rather than the wonderful things we do. I hope you have plenty of self-love going on....stress can cause your body to hold onto things you don't want... good luck! and congratulations on your success! many of us aren't able to exercise because of injuries and would love to do even one day of your exhaustive plan. Celebrate!

Um, no.

At 5'7" and 159#, OP probably does have some weight she could lose, unless she's been body building consistently for some time and bulking, and is pretty solidly muscle. Hard to tell without pictures or measurements. Since she's asking for help, I'd say that's not the case. She's got room to go further, she just has to create a calorie deficit and continue her workouts. It confuses me when people say "you can't work out anymore than you already are". Why not? You can always work out more than you are,as long as you are fueling properly. Correct macros and a minor deficit for fat burn.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

Per MFP, if I put sedentary (because I sit at a desk most of the day) and I put .5lb a week it gives me 1640, so then eat my exercise calories on top of that? I don't really know how many to eat with lifting...
    Don't log lifting. Think of the calories you burn while lifting as "insurance" to insure that you're truly eating at a deficit. (The calorie counts & burns are only estimates, and this "insurance" will help reduce the margin of error.)

Yes, eat 1,640 calories plus your exercise calories for two weeks. If you don't lose, start eating back half your exercise calories. Trial & error takes time, but it works.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

:huh: Ummmmm NO. :noway:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I am weighing and measuring everything. I even tend to overestimate things a little just to make sure I don't go over my allotted calories. And I have looked up my TDEE...It's hard to estimate it with lifting because it doesn't burn as many calories, but I think its around 2200...

Stop measuring. Weigh everything. You should be losing at 1500. Heck you should probably eat more, I don't workout half as much as you do and I've been losing 3+ lbs a month at 1600 a day (and I'm 5'5" and 35).
  • krazykate483
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try start weighing all my food and eat back exercise calories. Hopefully it will work. Something has to work! It's just frustrating because I feel like the only time I really lost weight was when I was eating at 1200 calories and exercising a lot, and not eating back my exercise calories...and I don't wanna screw up my metabolism anymore so I am trying to do it the right way and maintain LBM.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with losing and everything to do with personal preference. To lose weight the ONLY thing required is to eat at a calorie deficit. Types of food don't matter one bit.