Looking for foodie friends

Options
I'm fairly new on here and have really enjoyed looking at other peoples food diaries, but I have found in lots of cases that there's quite a lot of convenience food, or people following various other diets within their calorie counting. I, or my boyfriend, cook quite a lot from scratch, so my diary seems to have great long lists of things. Don't get me wrong, sometimes we'll have a shop bought or take out pizza, but for me, as part of a healthy eating regime I'd like to increase fruit and veg, wholegrains etc (though I'm not aiming for clean eating) and I find a beautiful, fresh, colourful dish that looks appetising really helps me avoid the temptation of junk food.

I'd love a few more friends who have traditional meals and snacks and enjoy preparing delicious healthy meals who share their diaries to give me a few more ideas.

Replies

• korede1989
    Options
    hey hun.....look at my food diary. i tend to make fresh food from scratch and i love it colourful as well. i do this mostly for dinner meal and weekend. as i work 9-5. check it and let me know what you think. i have also switched few of my meaty food to qourn to reduce the calories and increase protein intake. i am not a vegietarian i love meat equally
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'd rather cook than eat out. It happens on occasion don't get me wrong but I find I eat better when I see exactly whats going into my meals. Last night I made lettuce wrapped ground turkey tacos with homemade seasoning mix (i read the back of the packet and that got tossed) feel free to add me. By the way, homemade taco seasoning tastes so much better lol
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely have a look.

Can I just add that this is in no way intended as a slight to my friends I already have who are great and supportive, and I'm sure some of you do eat this way. I understand that people need to do what's best for them, and that I am lucky really as I have someone who'll share the cooking, and although we both work full time, we no kids or anything we do have a bit more time for preparation.
  • SlenderSelah
    Options
    I've sent you a friend request. I'm aiming to eat 99.9% clean and cook most of what I eat from scratch. People please friend me :o)
  • CharbyOttawa
    CharbyOttawa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm a total foodie, so feel free to add me. I would say 95% of my food is homemade. Sending you a friend request.
  • Kargicq
    Kargicq Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add -- I enjoy cooking, but don't do it as often as I'd like, as our hectic family life tends to mean that it's more often a question of feeding the troops before a mutiny breaks out. When my wife's away with work, I tend to resort to ready-meals. :ohwell:
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Please add...I cook pretty much everything from scratch, I don't always find this easy to log in MFP apart from the recipe function but I get there some how.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love food. Most meals are made from scratch (my wife loves to cook) and we try to mix it up often. I do find however that I'm lazy when it comes to logging and I'll often find an equivalent. Like if I eat a wrap that I (she) made, I'll find a comparable wrap in the database and choose it. Add me if you wish (I admin, I ate out last night, took my son to subway for a treat).
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was reflecting on the whole diet convenience food thing today. One of my coworkers use MFP and his motto is "if it doesn't have a barcode, I don't eat it." I love baking and cooking and am trying to channel those energies into healthier meals. I make a batch of soup every weekend to take for lunch and cook dinner every night. I'd rather eat real, whole foods than dietitzed cereal bars.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, make beautiful and healthy dishes, and EAT!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, and I cook most of my meals, but you won't find that reflected in my diary, even if I had it open...you might find the raw ingredients for the meal, or you might find the recipe in my recipes if they were shared (not sure how that works yet).

But I'm happy to share recipes by posting, etc. Add me if you like and if it seems to fit the goal :)

I'm gonna try a couple of these ideas in the near future: http://www.fitsugar.com/Breakfasts-Under-300-Calories-33700995
  • sacausillas
    sacausillas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started here, (first post, woo!) and I've been having this problem! I love cooking and eating, but I work two jobs so it's a little bit difficult. What's really helped is prepping, which my boyfriend does as well. The difference between he and I is that I like my food to taste good ;) For instance, last night I made 8 breakfast burritos (just logged the recipe 264 cal each!) and put them in the freezer at work for a nice homemade breakfast every day without waking up at 6am. I also made 5 meals this weekend of balsamic marinated grilled chicken, rice (white :/ can't let it go just yet) and sauteed squash and zucchini. 5 tupperwares and my work fridge and I'm good to go for the week. It's great because a) it's homemade and I know how to cook ;) b) I'm saving money c) having it premade in the fridge at work helps me say "no" when my coworkers ask what everyone wants from the Chinese place down the street. I'd love some more recipes and ideas, I'm naturally slim (120-125lb), so I'm not doing this to lose unwanted weight as much as tighten up and be healthier (if I'm gunna work my butt off in the gym, I better look good) so if food isn't tasty I know I'll stop doing it. My boyfriend is cutting water and eating boiled chicken and brown rice with no salt added, every meal for the week. That wil not be me.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I make a several meals on the weekend that keep well and can get me through most of the work week. I also prep produce over the weekend so I can quickly make fresh juice, smoothies, salads etc.

I love food and try to avoid processed food more often than not, but I am far from perfect (and having a husband whom eats whatever, whenever makes it harder to avoid temptation).

I also still have cravings I need to satisfy from time to time, and I'm Italian. I love carbs, so completely cutting out foods like pasta, bread etc. will never happen. But, I have become more aware of what is in my pre-packaged food and like to think I typically use much higher quality ingredients than in the past.

I try to log everything. Feel free to add me if you want to take a peak at my diary from time to time.

I will warn you, breakfast typically consists of tea, green juice, fruit and a homemade, organic and mostly (if not all) raw protein shake, especially during the work week. I have found I stick to an eating plan better if I eat light to heavy, so my breakfasts are typically along these lines. You'll sometimes see a little more variety over the weekend, especially when a friend invites me to brunch...mmmm...brunch!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!! my breakfast is usually the same, but I definitely try not to have too many convenience type foods and cook almost every night of the week. Usually try out some new recipes in the weekend, as I love to cook! Some of my diary entries might be in dutch, however :)
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You sounds just like me!

I the only thing I love more than food, is cooking that food. Haha! My meals tend to read more like ingredient lists and I try to stay away from convenience foods. I just experimenting with flavours and knowing that I created the delicious thing I am devouring. My boyfriend loves to cook also, so we spend a lot of quality time in the kitchen. :heart:

Feel free to friend me! I log everything, everyday. If you're every curious about a homemade meal I've logged and would like clarification, I am more than happy to oblige! :flowerforyou:
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Glad I'm not the only one out there! My main convenience foods are breads, crackers, hummus, and cereal - just about everything else I try to do homemade. I get a CSA basket most weeks so I can have lots of fresh produce to work from, I have a grapefruit tree in my yard, and I'm also growing my own lettuce, kale, and chard. I cook 80-90% vegetarian but do eat meat 1-2x/week. I love cooking and eating fresh food, have been struggling to build up my log of recipes and am still getting into the habit of weighing versus measuring my food.

I also have the problem of wanting to go out to eat to local restaurants rather than chains, but trying to figure out nutritional information for those meals is difficult!

Feel free to friend me!
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat more non-processed meals! I actually need help with ideas and my breakfast for the next month will be the same, but after that I'd like to get more creative.
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome. . . my diary is open to the public so take a peek and if you want send thru a friend request.
  • pklme
    pklme Posts: 9
    Options
    Wish you could share that burrito recipe!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting better at cooking something real for dinner at night. Lunch and Breakfast are pretty boring, but you can add me if you'd like.