Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My delicious and healthy 20 cal ice cream recipe:

take any ice cream
    crush up a meringue nest
    mix with peanut butter

half fill the crevasse of a stick celery and enjoy!
    This makes me want to cry.

No kidding. Meringue Nest, if properly sweetened, might be a good addition, but at 20 calories, it can't be *at all* how I make meringue.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My new favorite: Ben & Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch.

But, by all means, enjoy your Cool Whip.

I had some of that the other day, as well. Pretty good stuff! I hate getting stuck on "limited" batches, but, alas, I gave my heart away to Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake. (And I don't even like cheesecake.)

The only place I've found that is at a Wal Mart 30 minutes from my house. I keep forgetting to pack a cooler so I can see if they have it again.
    It's worth it. :P That's where I do most of my grocery shopping, so it's conveniently and dangerously located.
  • allanagill
    Options
    some people are so rude, which on this site is NOT necessary. I, like many others, are welcome to healthier alternatives. I agree with this snack, and lite whip cream is very low in cals and sugar....MUCH better than ice cream. Also, another trick...take one tbsp of peanut butter, i like crunchy, and mix it thoroughly with the lite whip cream. SO good, tastes like peanut butter pie filling.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    some people are so rude, which on this site is NOT necessary. I, like many others, are welcome to healthier alternatives. I agree with this snack, and lite whip cream is very low in cals and sugar....MUCH better than ice cream. Also, another trick...take one tbsp of peanut butter, i like crunchy, and mix it thoroughly with the lite whip cream. SO good, tastes like peanut butter pie filling.

how is that any less than this?
    my Turkey Hill Lite Moose tracks is 110 for one serving- which is only 220 for 2 (about 120 grams).

delicious.

nice idea- but I'll take ice cream deliciousness

it's not about being rude- it's about being educated- and the point is- it's no more or less healthy than ice cream.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

how is that any less than this?
    my Turkey Hill Lite Moose tracks is 110 for one serving- which is only 220 for 2 (about 120 grams).

delicious.

nice idea- but I'll take ice cream deliciousness

it's not about being rude- it's about being educated- and the point is- it's no more or less healthy than ice cream.

Right! I was taught "Honesty is the best policy." I think it's rude to let people believe things that aren't true. I would have quit long ago if not for the so-called "rude" people on MFP who were not afraid to tell the truth!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

I had some of that the other day, as well. Pretty good stuff! I hate getting stuck on "limited" batches, but, alas, I gave my heart away to Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Cheesecake. (And I don't even like cheesecake.)

The only place I've found that is at a Wal Mart 30 minutes from my house. I keep forgetting to pack a cooler so I can see if they have it again.
    It's worth it. :P That's where I do most of my grocery shopping, so it's conveniently and dangerously located.

I know! :love: I wasn't thinking about how far I had to drive home when I bought it last year. It was starting to melt by the time I got home. Shoulda just bought a spoon, too. :bigsmile:
  • rdias92
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.

They're pretty much the same thing as Digestives. I would suggest upscaling it with Hobnobs (>graham crackers), but if the point is to try to reduce calories then digestives will do just that and it will still be delicious!
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    freeze two bananas & whip in blender with a tiny bit of real organic vanilla extract and you have a great healthy alternative to ice-cream.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    freeze two bananas & whip in blender with a tiny bit of real organic vanilla extract and you have a great healthy alternative to ice-cream.

I bet if you put that in a custard pie and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top it would taste pretty good
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Walmart also had mini peach pies this week which go rather nicely with the Ben & Jerry's
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Now, I could be wrong here, but I believe that the Graham cracker was actually the US's answer to the British digestive biscuit - something about digestives weren't allowed to be sold because they don't actually help digestion :)

So I guess digestives would be a good alternative... :P ha ha

Fact is stranger than fiction.
    According to wikipedia:
    "The graham cracker was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham. Reverend Graham would often lecture on "self-abuse" as *kitten* was commonly called at the time. Graham would often say how these experiences were inspired by children eating crackers.[1] One of his many theories was that one could curb one's sexual appetite by eating bland foods. Another man who held this belief was John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of the corn flakes cereal.[2]"

So, graham crackers = no *kitten*. Eat at your own risk!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Now, I could be wrong here, but I believe that the Graham cracker was actually the US's answer to the British digestive biscuit - something about digestives weren't allowed to be sold because they don't actually help digestion :)

According to wikipedia:
    "The graham cracker was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham. Reverend Graham would often lecture on "self-abuse" as *kitten* was commonly called at the time. Graham would often say how these experiences were inspired by children eating crackers.[1] One of his many theories was that one could curb one's sexual appetite by eating bland foods. Another man who held this belief was John Harvey Kellogg, the inventor of the corn flakes cereal.[2]"

Hmm. Well I can only speak for myself but graham crackers have not stopped...actually never mind. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

According to wikipedia:

They made a movie about Kellogg and his retreat thing. I can't remember the name of it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ice cream at least has some calcium and protein in it. How in the world is Cool Whip between Graham crackers healthier than ice cream???
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Why do we need an alternative for ice cream?

Sorry OP but +1 here. I easily fit 1/2 cup of just about any kind of ice cream into my daily calories most days, and lite cool whip is nothing like the real thing.

People, it's Girl Scout Cookie Ice Cream time! That means Samoas (or Caramel De Lites) Ice cream!! I'm stopping at the store tonight.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

According to wikipedia:

Hahaha!!! My American History prof loved to lecture on this and Kellogg's.... supposedly corn flakes were apparently also used as an enema according to my former prof.

As far as the OP, I like both cool whip and ice cream... but I'm with everyone else, no need to substitute, just work it in. ;)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally dig graham crackers with either a dark chocolate spread (I think Hershey's is coming out with a line of them now, but I was able to find them where Dutch food was found like World Market) or the chocolate cream cheese spread. :D
  • khykes
    khykes Posts: 9
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I bet if you put that in a custard pie and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top it would taste pretty good

Don't forget to add the Cool Whip! :devil:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

According to wikipedia:

They made a movie about Kellogg and his retreat thing. I can't remember the name of it.

I remember that one! Weird dude, but interesting film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111001/