Often under target, any advice for good 200 calorie snack?

I've been doing this for a couple of weeks now and it's been going well so far. I weigh all the food and I eat mostly home-cooked meals typically chicken or fish with lots of vegetables and salad, soups, stews etc- the kind of food I like anyway. I have noticed that on a normal day I end up somewhere around 1100 calories which is to little. My goal is around 1500.

The main thing that made me put on weigh in the past was snacking on cheese, bread, butter and biscuits through out the day and also grabbing food like sandwiches or wraps on the go as I have quite a bust schedule. I figured I'd stop this and try to stick to fixed meal times. But since I end up under 1200 cal when doing this I need some advice on a good (cheap) snacks around the 200 calories mark.

Thanks,

Lot of love Elin

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    A small chocolate bar. Seriously. Must satisfy some cravings while giving you the calories you want.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Lara bars, Carrots and hummus, dark chocolate, yogurt, fruit , spoon of peanut butter, and all kinds of yummy things that are in a portion that is 200 calories.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    The main thing that made you put on weight was going OVER your daily calorie limit.... not the type of food you ate. Sure, some foods might make you hold on to water weight for a day or so, or make you bloated for a few hours, but it didn't make you over weight.

Eat what ever you want. Look up IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) and read up on it. As long as you are UNDER or AT your calorie limit for the day, you are fine. Don't be fooled with "Bro-science" crap like "EAT CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI TO LOSE WEIGHT".

It's all about calories, not the type of food. But remember, things like Ice-cream, cookies, pizza are more calories dense but they are not off limit.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Tollhouse pits chips with some hummus or laughing cow cheese

banana with a little bit of peanut butter (or apple) but peanut butter adds up pretty fast so be careful with portion on that

greek yogurt with some fruit or granola

granola bars or protein bars are usually in that range

glass of chocolate milk if you dont feel like eating

small number of cookies, look at the package for info because they can vary alot

those are the quick ones I can think of off the top of my head but there are plenty of options
  • I like a banana with low fat yoghurt on it (plain Greek like Fage or Activia Vanilla are my favourites). Also, Cadbury's Freddo bars are just enough chocolate.
  • Sometimes I'll have fruit, but if I feel like a guilty pleasure I would have to say a toasty peanut butter poptart.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    I make up a week's worth of 200-calorie snack bags each week. I put in either 100 calories worth of a fruit or veggie and 100 calories worth of a protein like almonds, walnuts beef jerky etc.
  • Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Here's some 150 calorie snacks:

1 oz preztels & 1 tsp French's Honey Mustard

English muffin pizza: whole wheat english muffin, 1 Tblsp tomato sauce, 1 Tblsp lo fat chees, I Tblsp parmesan cheese. Broil

Egg salad: 1 whole egg, 1/2 tsp low fat maho, spices spread on hal of toasted whole wheat bagel

Loaded pepper slices: 1 cup red bell peepr slices with 1/4 cp warm black beans & 1 Tbsp quacamole

Medium apple with 1 Tbls natural peanut butter

2 Tblsp Hummus & 1/2 cp Cucumber

1 can tuna, drained

Stuffed tomatoes: 10 halved grape tomatoes stuffed with mix of 1/4 cp lowfat ricotta cheese, 1 Tblsp diced black olives, pinch of pepper
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    2 tablespoons of peanut butter of course.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,042 Member
    I usually eat a couple of Alpen Bars or similar during the day if I feel I have not eaten enough...

Alpen_Light_Bars_Double_Chocolate_(5x19g)__25647_zoom.jpg
  • tombetlej
    tombetlej Posts: 61 Member
    Handful of nuts. An ounce of almonds is about 160 cal
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    PEANUT BUTTER IS KING! or if you like pumpkin seeds (they make me feel sad but you might like their chewy ways!)
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Didn't read your mini story but ....because the nutritional facts are more likely than not off and youre probably eating more than you think
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    If your goal is 1500 but you are ending up around 1100, you need 400 cals of food, not a 200 cal snack. Or two 200 cal snacks.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Depending on where I am with my macros for the day, here are some of the snacks I like to have that are around 200 calories:
    *a Lara bar, a Clif Mojo bar, or a Kind bar (I like that I can have a little bit of chocolate without it being too bad for me)
    *hummus and veggies
    *fat free pretzels with either a little cheese or dipped in Jif Whips peanut butter
    *Greek yogurt (if I have the fat grams left, I'll go for lowfat or sometimes regular rather that nonfat)
    *Chobani Flips
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hi Elin,

What do you like to eat? Snacks for me are nuts (usually an ounce, different kinds of nuts), trail mix, Greek Yogurt, love avocado too. You can get away with having 1 1/4 ounces of nuts for a little over 200 calories, though.

I'm glad you recognize you are eating too few calories.

However, certain types of foods do not put weight on us. Eating too much food in general is what does it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Honestly, I find I'm much happier skipping the snack, letting my tummy rumble for a couple hours, and adding the 200 calories onto the next meal.

I'm much happier with a 700 calorie dinner than a 200 calorie snack and then a 500 calorie dinner.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    A small chocolate bar. Seriously. Must satisfy some cravings while giving you the calories you want.

A 1.53 oz bag of Reeses Pieces has 225 calories ....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

1.53 ounces of Reese's Pieces is like.. one mouthful.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member

1.53 ounces of Reese's Pieces is like.. one mouthful.

It takes me 3 ....