never hungry and not hitting calorie goal.

Options
2»

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with not being hungry. I have never really been a big eater. I have always had the problem of just eating what my family eats witch is fast food a lot. I just eat to eat. Now that I'm watching my calories I realize that I never want breakfast so I force myself to eat something. I have coffee every morning with creamer. NOT GIVING IT UP. lol The big problem I'm having it that by the time I go to eat dinner I usually have like 550 to 700 calories left for the say. So I always fall under the 1200 calories or more if I work out. Should I be at least make my lunch calories more? I feel like I'm setting myself up for starvation mode if I'm not already there. I have made my food log available to look at.

So you are over 50 lb overweight, yet you physically can't eat 1200-1400 cals? Sorry I don't buy it or any of these types of threads. I am an averaged sized female and can eat over 2000 cals no problem. Maybe you should see your doctor if you are not able to eat that small amount of food daily.
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When I have too many calories left, I try to get them with a nice hot chocolate (godly when ist cold outside!) or a glass of oat drink.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with not being hungry. I have never really been a big eater. I have always had the problem of just eating what my family eats witch is fast food a lot. I just eat to eat. Now that I'm watching my calories I realize that I never want breakfast so I force myself to eat something. I have coffee every morning with creamer. NOT GIVING IT UP. lol The big problem I'm having it that by the time I go to eat dinner I usually have like 550 to 700 calories left for the say. So I always fall under the 1200 calories or more if I work out. Should I be at least make my lunch calories more? I feel like I'm setting myself up for starvation mode if I'm not already there. I have made my food log available to look at.

So you are over 50 lb overweight, yet you physically can't eat 1200-1400 cals? Sorry I don't buy it or any of these types of threads. I am an averaged sized female and can eat over 2000 cals no problem. Maybe you should see your doctor if you are not able to eat that small amount of food daily.

If you eat very healthy foods with tons of vegetables, drink lots of water, etc... It's very possible to be not at all hungry come dinner time. Last night I made a pot roast, potatoes and green beans, planned a nice 500 calorie dinner, and had to pack half of my plate up for lunch today because I couldn't eat it all. That's not every day because sometimes my food choices have more calories, but it happens plenty.
  • kennedyer627
    kennedyer627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this too. I eat when I am hungry and I don't eat when I am not. Before I started watching what I ate, I was eating a lot of fast food and junk food. Now that I am paying attention to what I am putting into my body the app keeps saying I am not getting enough calories. I really watch sugar, carbs, fat, and soduim a lot more than calories and protein because I also exercise. Many of the foods I eat are fresh fruits and veggies that send me to a higher level of sugar and carbs but have minimal calories. The app says I am entering starvation mode, but I do not know how it is possible to maintain the 1500 calories in my diet without exceeding the sugars and carbs allowance. Any advice is welcome!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to get overweight, decide to lose weight, and end up having trouble reaching calorie goals.

I've never been a big eater, either. I gained weight because the food I ate was small in volume but high in calorie.

I started eating at a deficit, and ate foods small in volume and low in calorie. Sometimes I drastically undershot my goals. When you normally only eat small amounts, it can be hard to balance the right amount of calories into what you can realistically eat. Sometimes it's a matter of going back to full calorie foods rather than diet foods, but if you prefer skim milk like me, It can be a bit of a challenge.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You are not going to starve. If you start starving you will be hungry. If you've changed your eating habits (I can't see your diary) and you're not hungry you will lose the weight. Before I started watching what I ate, I didn't feel hungry because I wasn't. I lunch at work (too much food) and then go home and have dinner with my husband (again too much food) then have a snack. Get up the next day and eat breakfast (because I like breakfast food, not because I was hungry) and then wonder why I was gaining weight. I've been working at this hard for a year and there are days when I eat too much, but that in not the Normal way I eat anymore. I get hungry now. Good luck to you finding what works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this too. I eat when I am hungry and I don't eat when I am not. Before I started watching what I ate, I was eating a lot of fast food and junk food. Now that I am paying attention to what I am putting into my body the app keeps saying I am not getting enough calories. I really watch sugar, carbs, fat, and soduim a lot more than calories and protein because I also exercise. Many of the foods I eat are fresh fruits and veggies that send me to a higher level of sugar and carbs but have minimal calories. The app says I am entering starvation mode, but I do not know how it is possible to maintain the 1500 calories in my diet without exceeding the sugars and carbs allowance. Any advice is welcome!

UNLESS you have a diagnosed condition, going over on sugars and carbs (based on MFPs guidelines) will NOT hurt you!
    Eat all the calories.
    Aim for the macros (protein, carbs and fat).
    Enjoy a healthier life.
  • ktdeangelis
    ktdeangelis Posts: 19 Member
    Options

UNLESS you have a diagnosed condition, going over on sugars and carbs (based on MFPs guidelines) will NOT hurt you!
    Eat all the calories.
    Aim for the macros (protein, carbs and fat).
    Enjoy a healthier life.

Thanks for outlining that! I'm always under in calories, but over in sugar, sodium, protein, or fat. So I tend to just not eat anything else if I'm over.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yeah but that's me. I did learn the more I exercise, the more I ate, the more I lost. Who would have thought eating more would help you lose weight!! It really is a lot of work to make sure you eat what you burn, when your never hungry!!
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    It's really easy to get overweight, decide to lose weight, and end up having trouble reaching calorie goals.

I've never been a big eater, either. I gained weight because the food I ate was small in volume but high in calorie.

I started eating at a deficit, and ate foods small in volume and low in calorie. Sometimes I drastically undershot my goals. When you normally only eat small amounts, it can be hard to balance the right amount of calories into what you can realistically eat. Sometimes it's a matter of going back to full calorie foods rather than diet foods, but if you prefer skim milk like me, It can be a bit of a challenge.

Still not convinced a normal healthy woman is unable to eat 1200 cals.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm also a firm non-believer of "starvation mode". I've never come close to eating all my calories and I've never eaten any of my exercise calories. Over the first 100 days, I average about 1200 calories a day. I'm still losing pretty steadily. Definitely not like the first few weeks but I definitely have not gained.

I try to focus on being full and eating healthy (mostly).

I opened my diary to the public. I would definitely appreciate any critique.
  • rockmama72
    Options

In my case it's not that I'm UNABLE, it's that I'm full. I could force myself to eat something to get my calories up on one of those days, but if I've had a healthy day and I'm satisfied, why should I stuff myself? I don't think any of these people who claim the same are lying, nor are they saying they can NEVER hit their target. Some days just go like that, especially if you've had a complete diet overhaul or if you stop drinking so much booze (thankyouverymuch).
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

I'm just the opposite, I'm hungry all the time but I used to work with chemo patients and for other reasons they are never hungry. Smilingrn had the right idea. Eat calorie/nutrient dense foods, nuts are great. Use stuff like regular fat yogurt in the morning (greek yogurt is best because of the high protein content). Adding a smoothie made from nutritional shakes (not the diet ones, the regular ones) with a banana and other fruit works too. Using stuff like full fat mayo and salad dressing can add calories. If you like avocados, they are nutrient dense and have a significant amount of heart-healthy fats.

Good luck.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

In my case it's not that I'm UNABLE, it's that I'm full. I could force myself to eat something to get my calories up on one of those days, but if I've had a healthy day and I'm satisfied, why should I stuff myself? I don't think any of these people who claim the same are lying, nor are they saying they can NEVER hit their target. Some days just go like that, especially if you've had a complete diet overhaul or if you stop drinking so much booze (thankyouverymuch).

Before I joined MFP I used to drink about 20 give or take ozs in wine a night every night just about so I was drinking about 400 calories a night alone plus used to drink 4 ounces of creamer in my coffee a day plus sodas some days on top of that so yea I can see how it goes with drinks alone
  • wilsoje74
    Options

Ok then you all should be able to lose weight no problem!!! That's great! I am starving on 1200 cal and can easily eat 2000 plus of healthy or non healthy foods. Guess I don't fill up as fast.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Ok then you all should be able to lose weight no problem!!! That's great! I am starving on 1200 cal and can easily eat 2000 plus of healthy or non healthy foods. Guess I don't fill up as fast.

And that's fine, that's a legitimate thing to have to deal with. I did lose the weight quickly when I was eating at a deficit. I just replaced my 1/2 cup of rice with 1/2 cup of green beans: same amount of food, fewer calories. Sometimes it was hard to hit my goals. Heck, today I'll only have eaten 1035 calories (this is not a regular occurrence, I'm going on vacation next week and am saving calories to drink around the world at Epcot).

I don't think anyone is saying they're having trouble hitting their lower goal and not losing weight. If they did, I missed it and they're calculating something incorrectly.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1200 calories? Sounds like breakfast to me! :)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Teasingly: I'm jealous. Made the mistake of sitting next to a cheese platter early on in this adventure and managed to eat about 3000 calories before I realized it!

Seriously: If you're eating salads and veggies and whole grains and lean protein, you may feel more full than you did with your old diet. Go you.
  • mrs_kalee_thompson
    mrs_kalee_thompson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! So annoying
  • rockmama72
    Options

I admit, this was a surprise for me... Figuring out that my problem is not what I eat, it's what I drink. We all have our separate issues, I guess. And that's the "aha"--right? We are all so different.