Keep going over on Sugar and Sodium.

Options
Hi All,

I'm relatively new to MFP so bear with me. I'm within my calorie goal every day, though I don't always eat back my excercise calories since I noticed that makes me gain (and I think what MFP is calculating for 40 mins of running is a little high honestly). Anyway, I'm having a really hard time staying within my recommendation of sugar and sodium. I don't think I eat a lot of processed food, but yeah sometimes I buy meat already marinated etc. Also, sometimes I drink green smoothies which throws me off on the sugar. All within my recommended calories though. What does this mean for me in my weight loss efforts? Will this not work unless I'm staying within ALL recommendations? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have health problems don't worry about it. I go over both all the time, especially sodium. Just drink enough water and it flushes out sodium anyhow.

If you're within your calories, you're golden.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sodium is always my trouble area. I try not to worry about it.
  • WonderWoman_5
    WonderWoman_5 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Same problem drink TONS of water and you should be ok!!
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    thanks for asking this question it is the same with me and I was worried as well but I drink about 2 gallons of water a day so if drinking lots of water will flush it I feel good :)
  • ktdeangelis
    ktdeangelis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is me exactly! Everyday, I either go over sodium, or sugar, but I always have a hard time hitting the calorie goal.
  • Merlin813
    Merlin813 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    the answer on "only be concerned if you have health issues that are affected by sodium and sugar", (i.e. High blood pressure, diabetes or elevated triglycerides) is in line with what my nutritionist and health care providers tell me. If you have any of these conditions then you will need to consider changing out the sources of the higher values. I use low sodium soups for instance, since my favorite Campbell's soups are very high in sodium, and I also try to limit the fruits in my green smoothies and add more veggies like spinach and kale. Even with these added controls I frequently go over but it just reminds me to be aware and make better choices. Good luck with it!
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I try to limit sodium, but only because it makes you retain water and I'm paranoid about weighing myself. xD Unless (as somebody said above) you have any medical problems relating to them then you should be fine. I know a lot of people that don't track their sugar because they're so far over from fruits etc.