Make your workout more fun

Options
I hate running, on the treadmill, outside, doesn't matter, I just dislike it! I constantly look at the time and after 10 min of running I think I'm done! Last week I started a new method, I turn on a movie and run on the treadmill, this way I don't look at the time and my workouts all of a sudden increased to over half hour runs... this method really works for me and keeps my mind focused on something else while I burn calories. Another plus is that I will want to finish the movie so I have motivation to run again the next day:)

Does anyone else do something that makes their workouts more fun/appealing? Please share!

Replies

• horses1jessi
    horses1jessi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Music really does it for me!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing so it's not a chore. I LOVE spinning (with the right instructor) so I look forward to my classes. I LOVE the cardio dance class I go to once a week. I don't love lifting but make myself do it to "earn" my spin classes! Oh, and iI'm totally about the music.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I put a towel over the treadmill readout so I cant see it and just people watch at the gym, and I have made a playlist that I really like, people laugh at me but I totally jam out (lip sync and faces and arm movements) when I am really not in the mood to run, distracts me pretty well!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Outdoors I MUST have my music. On the treadmill, it's watching (for me, programming related) videos. I actually mounted a 24" screen over my treadmill and salvaged an old computer that I was able to dedicate to the treadmill. I now have easy access to my videos, music and anything I need.
    One thing I never do (or at least try not to) is look down at the displays. It's sure makes the time go slow.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing with the stationary bike - I have it right in the living room and if I am going to watch TV, I use it during the show

outdoors walking always have the ipod with me for jamming 80's tunes :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Zumba
    *Jazzercise
    Social Dancing
    Hula Hooping/ hoop dancing
    Kayaking
    Swimming
    Wii/Xbox exercise games
    Biking
    Hiking
    Sailing
    *Parkour running
    Yoga
    *Aerials
    Tai Chi (or other martial arts)
    Boxing
    Kickboxing

*I have not actually tried these activities, but I hope to once I am stronger! (except the jazzercise, but my sister in law loves it)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have to listen to music. I find I get lazy if I go on the treadmill while watching a TV show or movie. With the music I try to keep up with the beat so I work harder!
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I put a towel over the treadmill readout so I cant see it and just people watch at the gym, and I have made a playlist that I really like, people laugh at me but I totally jam out (lip sync and faces and arm movements) when I am really not in the mood to run, distracts me pretty well!

haha that's great, I'd love to see that! Anything to make it fun;)
  • maryphipps5
    Options
    Love this topic! I'm new to working out and tend to switch between elliptical, treadmill & bike, depending on what I can force myself to do -- problem is, after 15-20 minutes on any of them, I'm wanting to switch over -- it's like I can't mentally tolerate it any longer or something. I do the towel over the display thing (glad I'm not nuts for doing it) and I listen to upbeat music. I wish I could stand doing one machine for even 30 minutes, but .... is it just a mental thing? And if so, how do I overcome it??