Losing my mind.....not weight

Options
Ok I am getting discouraged and maybe I'm just having a bad day. I am so bloated all the time and nothing I do seems to hlep. Plus, It just doesnt seem like I am losing the weight like I should. I have lost about 5 bls since Janurary 2nd and I have been staying under my 1200 calories as well as burning 250-300 calories at least 4-5 times a week.

Also, should I be doing more cardio to lose weight instead of weight lifting. I started the lIve fit by Jamie Eason this week, which is just weight lifting, and she says that we are not going to do cardio because we was your muscles to use the fuel so that you burn more fat. PLEASE HELP!!!! I just want to make sure that I am doing what I am suppose to be doing to lose the weight quickly and then tone, shape and build muscle, After the weight is gone. (sigh)

Replies

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Live fit is going to make you do the opposite i.e build muscle for the first phase and then start to lose the fat. Building muscle will increase your metabolism and make losing the fat in later phases easier. Plus you will look lean and muscular and not just skinny fat once you do lose the weight.

I know for most women the thought of not doing cardio and losing weight is blasphemy and sounds utterly terrifying. Try to actually do what she recommends and NOT do cardio or at least keep it to a bare minimum initially. Don't get on the scale for a few weeks because your weight is gonna be all over the place due to water retention, muscle growth, etc. Just trust that there is a reason behind it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With so little weight to lose, you must set your goal to .5 lb. per week. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise, and eat back your exercise calories for two weeks. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Live fit is going to make you do the opposite i.e build muscle for the first phase and then start to lose the fat. Building muscle will increase your metabolism and make losing the fat in later phases easier. Plus you will look lean and muscular and not just skinny fat once you do lose the weight.

I know for most women the thought of not doing cardio and losing weight is blasphemy and sounds utterly terrifying. Try to actually do what she recommends and NOT do cardio or at least keep it to a bare minimum initially. Don't get on the scale for a few weeks because your weight is gonna be all over the place due to water retention, muscle growth, etc. Just trust that there is a reason behind it.

eating 1200 calories and doing any weights is not going to build muscle...

To the OP you need more than 1200 or less calories a day to fuel your workouts....and if you say MFP gave me that goal it's because you want to lose 2lbs a week which is not reasonable with only 16 to lose...try setting it at 1/2lb a week...5lbs since January 6 is a lot....that is over 1lb a week..almost 1 1/2lbs

As well with new exercise your muscles will retain water and glycogen for repair. To get rid of bloat drink water, to ensure you are fueling your workouts eat some food...and to lose weight ensure accuracy with logging...so get a food scale and weigh your food and make sure the entries chosen are correct...look for the non * ones, don't use the ones that start with homemade or generic and last but least eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    5 lbs since January 2nd is great!! :flowerforyou:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. In a thread titled 'Losing my mind.....not weight' the OP immediately posts losing 5lb in little over 3 weeks.....
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Honestly??? Geeez
  • empowered2bfit
    empowered2bfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. In a thread titled 'Losing my mind.....not weight' the OP immediately posts losing 5lb in little over 3 weeks.....

Sorry I didnt mean to offend anyone. I guess I should have stated that the bloat is what is making me feel as though the weight is not coming off. My clothes are tight and I just feel blah. Sorry if I offended you
  • empowered2bfit
    Options

eating 1200 calories and doing any weights is not going to build muscle...

To the OP you need more than 1200 or less calories a day to fuel your workouts....and if you say MFP gave me that goal it's because you want to lose 2lbs a week which is not reasonable with only 16 to lose...try setting it at 1/2lb a week...5lbs since January 6 is a lot....that is over 1lb a week..almost 1 1/2lbs

As well with new exercise your muscles will retain water and glycogen for repair. To get rid of bloat drink water, to ensure you are fueling your workouts eat some food...and to lose weight ensure accuracy with logging...so get a food scale and weigh your food and make sure the entries chosen are correct...look for the non * ones, don't use the ones that start with homemade or generic and last but least eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories.

So what do I need to choose from if I am making a homemade chicken salad? I am so confuesed on what to pick from on the entries. Thanks for the info and the tips :)
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    5 pounds since Jan 2 is great! For the homemade chicken salad, I would break the ingredients down for logging...1/2 cup diced chicken, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, etc, etc...something like that. There may be an easier way and perhaps someone will come along and have a different idea.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am not completely sure, but I think you are wanting suggestions for reducing the bloating.

IMHO if you are bloated, then it is due to something you are eating, but I can't see your diary. I would think about any foods you have added recently. You should be able to figure out what is going on by systematically removing and adding foods to detect trends.

Another option might be to look into digestive enzymes.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you make your own Chicken Salad put it in as a recipe and save it. It will tell you the amount of calories per serving based on the ingredients you type in. I agree with others in that you need to increase your calorie intake, especially if you are lifting. Also, 5 pounds is a great loss in that amount of time! The bloating may be from water weight, or what you've eaten, or being "that time of the month".
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

This. I started Livefit trainer on 12/30 and have only lost 3 pounds. But I've lost 4 inches. If you want to look "toned" (no offense but I can't stand that word...the toned look is muscle!) then you need to trust in her process, Jamie Eason wrote the program like she did for a reason. She explicitly explains that the first 4 weeks are to build muscle, so the losses on the scale are likely to be minimal. If you want to be a slave to the scale, then do cardio and eat 1200 calories a day. If you want to look good naked, then do the program, follow her nutritional recommendations and feed your body right, and TRUST her. I'm getting fabulous results from the program even only at week 5, but you need to have patience and you need to trust it, even if it's counter-intuitive.

Remember that the scale is only one measure of success.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Sodium would be my guess as to the likely culprit of the bloat. Are you tracking sodium and staying below the limit? BTW, I have NO IDEA where MFP gets their sodium limit of 2500 mg per day. And I have asked them. The American Heart Association now recommends everyone limit their sodium consumption to 1500 mg per day or less. The World Health Organization recommends 2000 mg per day. My suggestion is to set your sodium limit at 2300 mg per day (the USDA and CDC limit) and see if that helps with bloating.
  • empowered2bfit
    Options

This. I started Livefit trainer on 12/30 and have only lost 3 pounds. But I've lost 4 inches. If you want to look "toned" (no offense but I can't stand that word...the toned look is muscle!) then you need to trust in her process, Jamie Eason wrote the program like she did for a reason. She explicitly explains that the first 4 weeks are to build muscle, so the losses on the scale are likely to be minimal. If you want to be a slave to the scale, then do cardio and eat 1200 calories a day. If you want to look good naked, then do the program, follow her nutritional recommendations and feed your body right, and TRUST her. I'm getting fabulous results from the program even only at week 5, but you need to have patience and you need to trust it, even if it's counter-intuitive.

Remember that the scale is only one measure of success.

Thanks for the input. Its good to hear from someone who is actually doing the same program and is getting good results. I have never been known to have patience but I am determined to look good again. Going to add you as a friend if that is ok.....thanks
  • empowered2bfit
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input :)