New to MFP and Atkins

Options
Hello everyone, I'm Tammi. I just joined and I started Atkins on Jan 26. I am looking forward to meeting people who are interested in mutual support & motivation. Also, I am interested in discussing strength training, exercise, & meal planning. I have a long journey ahead of me but I am ready to do it. Who's with me!

Replies

• jodiehong
    jodiehong Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I try to generally follow a low carb diet but have a couple of carb days here and there. :)
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ditto! :-)

You can join the Low Carb group on here too for extra support.
  • toniistracking
    toniistracking Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here also!
  • Stevens1Mom
    Options
    I'm with ya. I was doing Atkins for 3 weeks and my weight didn't budge. I had success with Atkins in the past so I don't know why this time. I am now counting calories with MFP. Good luck with your journey. We are in this together. Tracy
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing atkins, but I am doing low carb and high fat and it's been working for me very well. Just be aware, that you may be bombarded by low carb naysayers, so feel free to join one of the many low carb groups here as well.
  • Stevens1Mom
    Options
    Help--before I get discouraged (although I think I already am). I've been doing Atkins for 3 weeks. Lost NO weight. Been working out faithfully. Even added an extra hour to my workout in the afternoon to try to boost the metabolism. So, a workout in the morning and again around 4-5p. I usually have success with Atkins. Does anyone have a clue what is roadblocking me? I use ketosis sticks and I was in the zone. Today I decided I maybe should just have carbs and count calories...but, honestly my body doesn't seem to like carbs. I don't feel that great when I have them. Help is appreciated if anyone has insight. Thanks!
  • kkandmuff
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. I had success with Atkins the first time I tried it.....but I didn't loose any the second time. I didn't do anything different so I'm puzzled why it was unsuccessful the 2nd time around. Its been a year so I'm gamed to try it again. Let's go!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Help--before I get discouraged (although I think I already am). I've been doing Atkins for 3 weeks. Lost NO weight. Been working out faithfully. Even added an extra hour to my workout in the afternoon to try to boost the metabolism. So, a workout in the morning and again around 4-5p. I usually have success with Atkins. Does anyone have a clue what is roadblocking me? I use ketosis sticks and I was in the zone. Today I decided I maybe should just have carbs and count calories...but, honestly my body doesn't seem to like carbs. I don't feel that great when I have them. Help is appreciated if anyone has insight. Thanks!

Your logging is a bit too patchy to comment, most Atkins folks end up around 1200-1400 calories and full, over-exercising can be detrimental.
  • visser89
    Options
    Hello! First of all, congratulations on trying out Atkins, getting passed 3 days is really the hardest challenge.

To be honest, I haven't heard of stalling early on in the diet, it usually comes a few months in, but I would say just maintain your resolve. Working out is good, but obviously don't overdo it, it's pretty easy to get burned out when low carbing.

Are you currently in the induction phase? Or did you skip ahead?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Are you drinking enough water? Water retention is normal when you work out a lot. Stick with it and have patience.
  • Stevens1Mom
    Options
    I am (was) bad about logging my food while on atkins. I am wondering--perhaps I wasn't eating ENOUGH. I don't get hungry on Atkins and satisfied very fast when I do eat. I was maybe working out too much for what I was eating. OK--I will try again. I only had rice last night and a piece of bread today (in the way of carbs) so I didn't fall way off the wagon. I will make sure to log everything I eat and hope that was the problem. Thank you so much!!!!!
  • Stevens1Mom
    Options
    And YES--lots of water. More than enough. I think (after reading a few of the reply's) that maybe I wasn't eating ENOUGH. I will eat more & see if it turns around. Thanks everyone!!!
  • Stevens1Mom
    Options
    OK-- I think you guys were right. I wasn't eating enough. I made sure to EAT yesterday (even though I didn't feel hungry) and I was finally down a pound this morning. I made sure to eat breakfast this morning, instead of just coffee with cream. Hopefully, this will turn around. I feel so much better not eating carbs. My memory is better, my skin looks better, I don't ITCH, no stomach pains (IBS)...the list goes on. Thanks for looking at my diary and taking the time to connect. It means a lot to me.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options

If I remember correctly when I did Atkins It said that it was a bad idea to stop it and then try it again because the second round was going to take some time for it to start shedding the pounds. They said it was important you not give up . I am sure if you do a search or if you have the book ? You will see that they say the second try is going to take time for it to work . For some it was taking weeks while others up to 2 months. If its something you really enjoy doing , Don`t give up, The whoosh fairy will find you sooner or later :)