Dinner idea that doesn't taste "healthy" or bland?

Options
aglopez1102
aglopez1102 Posts: 28 Member
Hello guys ,

i am on a 1200 calorie intake plan and i am trying to find a healthy dinner i can make to surprize my bf tomorrow , that is low on calories yet delicious to someone who prefers the bad stuff..

anyone have ideas?

i could eat plain chicken , veggies and call it a night but i know my boyfriend wants comfort food or something that is not so HEALTHY... help !! lol

Replies

• jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    what about sauteeing chicken with kung pao or mongolian beef with brocoli and rice?

breakfast burritos with sausage and rotel?

I struggle with the same dinner ideas
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If mushrooms are OK here you go.

Take chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, flour lightly and brown in a bit of olive oil. Place in casserole dish. Add mushrooms, fresh or canned, some garlic, onions if you like although I leave these out, and sautee in what is left of the olive oil. Stir in 1 can mushroom gravy. Heat though. Pour over chicken breasts. Take a nice thick slice of muenster cheese and place over each breast. Cover and back at 375 for 30 minutes, remove cover, turn oven up to 425 or broil and heat an additional 5 minutes or so till cheese browns a bit and bubbles. Serve with broccoli or asparagus and rice or mashed potatoes. Delicious. It is called Chicken Gloria if you wish to search additional variations.

Also just a nice grilled filet, sirloin, or flank steak with roasted sweet potatoes and a green veggies come out healthy too. (my opinion)
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Any recipe that you enjoy can be modified. Also, if you want to make a higher calorie food just eat less of the entree and add in tons of veggies :)
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    I don't know if you've tried cauliflower sauce, but it's my new obsession. It's great on noodles, rice, whatever. Toss some chicken in there, and it's a super filling, super low cal supper. P.S. this is coming from a certified vegetable-hater.

http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

Or you could go with some yummy chicken and pineapple quesadillas.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/09/chicken-pineapple-quesadillas/

Or these awesome peanut butter noodles. I make mine with angel hair pasta.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Noodles/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=peanut noodles&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

Or you could have what I'm having tonight: Cheerio-crusted baked chicken with sweet potato fries.

http://www.cheerios.com/recipes/crunchy-chicken-nuggets/a50d73d2-6947-4d06-b761-f97e50abdb25

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2013/10/crispy-baked-sweet-potato-fries.html (these are to DIE for)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you like fish take some tilapia and rub it with taco seasoning and grill it. Serve it with tortillas and a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing. Grilled pineapple makes a great side.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and have so many recipes I could share, but it would be easier to narrow them down if I know a little more about what it is y'all really like and/or don't like. Also, what is the maximum amout of calories you would like a serving to be? :smile:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Depends on what he likes, but here are a few good ones.

Not fancy, but SOOO tasty. http://www.emilybites.com/2013/10/deep-dish-sloppy-joe-casserole.html
    Delicious over rice and feels much more classy if its more of a date night thing http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/broiled-tilapia-with-thai-coconut-curry.html
    Yummy mexican. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/149111437636570547/
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I make the same food I always do, but eat less of it. Tonight I'm having veal Milanese and angel hair pasta. I'll make the whole recipe, cut it in half and save half for tomorrow lunch, and eat lots of vegetables (spinach salad in this case) to fill me tonight.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The only 'bad stuff' when it comes to food is food that isn't made well.

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif
  • Steph_in_Mississippi
    Options
    Roast a pork tenderloin. It's healthy yet satisfying. Rub with favorite seasoning and roast in oven around 375 to 400 degrees.At same time roast some veggies with it: broccoli, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots. Whatever he likes. With this, toss veggies with olive oil and seasoning. I like Mrs Dash. Roast in same oven.

Since your meat and veggie are so healthy, you can add a higher calorie food like mac n cheese. Makes your meal balanced. You don't have to necessarily have to eat the mac n cheese.

To my surprise, roasted radishes are the bomb.

Another thing I enjoy is pepper steak and rice. Slice a sirloin or whatever meat thin. Sautee with peppers, onion, garlic. Add your soy sauce, ground or fresh ginger, black pepper and little crushed red pepper. After sauce is completed, thicken with cornstarch and beef broth. Serve with brown rice. High sodium but good.

If he likes peppers and onions and stuff like that, I like to brown season chicken breast. Take out, add veggies, return chicken then finish in oven. Serve with a loaded potato.

Also, ground round is very very lean. 93% normally. Hamburger, hamburger steaks or meatloaf.

Oh one more. Blackened fish. Season tilapia or catfish with blackened seasoning. Brown in skillet with olive oil. Finish in oven. Squeeze of lemon. Serve with coleslaw and oven fries.

My husband despises whole wheat pasta. So, I make the ronzoni smart taste pasta. At least it has extra protein and fiber with the taste of white pastas.

Lots of choices. Good luck. My husband is a big meat eater. I try to make his favorite meals and tweak them.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Bump for some great dinner ideas :)
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is everything BUT bland! You just have to look a bit and you'll see there are endless options out there!

Eating Well as a lot of good recipes too.

I have been making a creamy mushroom chicken in the crockpot. I found it on allrecipes. The recipe I have been making use low fat plain yogourt instead of the sour cream. I double even tripple the mushroom. Serve with some rice. Real comfort food!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Turkey hot dogs and cheese (whatever you like) wrapped inside reduced fat crescent rolls and dipped in ketchup or mustard...sooo darn good and def doesn't taste bland or super healthy. I made it for my boyfriend and he really liked it! I also made him try asparagus which he reeeaallly didnt want to do, but now he wants it all the time lol
  • Howl2013
    Howl2013 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tilapia fillets (or mahi mahi is really good this way too) - probably any white fish

large piece of tin foil; place fillet in middle; throw in grape tomatoes (halved), kalamata olives, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper, a smidge of olive oil (last time I also added some zucchini too); wrap up the tin foil tight so steam won't escape; bake at temperature and time appropriate for the type of fillet. Serve over whole wheat couscous.

Yum

Edited to ask - am I spelling fillet wrong?
    Also edited to say you should leave a little room in the packet for the steaming; just make sure the seams are tight.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.

I second this.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just had meatballs with cheese inside, then bacon wrapped around with mustard and gerkins. Yuuuuumm
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I believe I found this on MFP:

Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
    Servings: 4 • Size: 2 halves • Old Points: 6 pts • Weight Watcher Points+: 7 pt
    Calories: 286 • Fat: 12 g • Carb: 18 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 28 g • Sugar: 6 g
    Cholest: 8 mg

Ingredients:

4 medium (32 ounces) zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
    1/2 cup mild salsa
    1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 small onion, minced
    2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
    4 oz can tomato sauce
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
    1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping

Directions:

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.

Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling, (squeeze excess water with a paper towel) discarding the rest or save to use in another recipe. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.

Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up while it cooks. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    check out Skinnytaste.com There are some fabulous recipes on there.

There are these easy garlic cheddar biscuits....yum

And a lot of the recipes are already in the food database on MPF!

This is a direct link to the beef recipes http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Beef Recipes
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you like fish take some tilapia and rub it with taco seasoning and grill it. Serve it with tortillas and a coleslaw with a vinegar dressing. Grilled pineapple makes a great side.

This sounds really good. Thanks.