Dinner idea that doesn't taste "healthy" or bland?

Replies

• mystian
    mystian Posts: 14
    Eating light doesn't mean having to put out obvious "diet" foods - grilled chicken steamed broccoli type stuff.

One great way to eat light while sharing is to make something like turkey chili (great in slow-cooker) and then put out a lot of optional toppings like sour cream - (low fat with roasted cumin, lime, salt) , slices of avocado (or guacamole), lime slices, chopped cilantro, diced red onions, crumbled cheese (cotilla or plain feta), chopped tomato, tortilla chips, bottled hot sauce etc....

Similar layout for grilled fish or chicken tacos.

You can eat the chili or tacos and skip the higher calorie toppings - tortillas, cheese etc, but your boyfriend can pile it on and enjoy.

Serve with a big salad - I currently love a light shaved brussel sprout salad - Trader Joe has pre-shaved packages too. You just need to toss in a little dressing (lemon or vinegar with some olive oil).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Hello guys ,

i am on a 1200 calorie intake plan and i am trying to find a healthy dinner i can make to surprize my bf tomorrow , that is low on calories yet delicious to someone who prefers the bad stuff..

anyone have ideas?

i could eat plain chicken , veggies and call it a night but i know my boyfriend wants comfort food or something that is not so HEALTHY... help !! lol
    1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup white vinegar, 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic. Toss in a pot and add in about 6 pieces of chicken (with skin). Cook until chicken is done and serve over rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.

I second this.

Third!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    I make Quinoa black bean burritos that my meat eating son loves! Very simple!

Quinoa Burritos

RECIPE MAKES 2 SERVING
    INGREDIENTS
    • 2 small whole wheat tortillas
    • ½ cup quinoa, cooked
    • ½ avocado, cubed
    • 1 cup lettuce, shredded
    • ½ cup salsa
    • ¼ cup red onion, diced
    • ¼ red peppers, thinly sliced
    • ½ cup black beans
    • ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped roughly
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Cook quinoa. Then mix with black beans, cilantro and onion.
    2. Spread half mixture equally on whole wheat tortillas.
    3. Top with salsa, avocado, lettuce and sliced red peppers.
    4. Wrap and enjoy!
    - Per Serving -
    CALORIES: 272
    PROTEIN : 17g
    CARBS : 33g
    FAT : 8g
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.

I second this.

I get recipes from here also, but I have made plenty I won't make again. Most are good but don't really impress my boyfriend or I. Some are GREAT. In my opinion, it's an excellent resource but not a sure thing. I would recomend it but I won't tell you every recipe tastes as good as the higher calories version. I like her baked goods especially and make them almost exclusively (cookies, muffins, biscuits) but that isn't what you are looking for today.
  • aglopez1102
    aglopez1102 Posts: 28 Member
    thank you guys for all the great ideas and recipes !!!!!

i will definitely have to save all of your sugestions for all kinds of dinners / lunches during the week :)

maybe little by little i can get him in the habit of eating better ? ;)

thanks again !!
  • mghuss
    mghuss Posts: 22 Member
    I've had some good success recipe-hunting on Pinterest. I'll search for "Healthy xxxx" or "Skinny xxxx" where xxxx is things I know he likes. I've gotten good reviews for alot of the makeover recipes for common takeout foods like sesame chicken, Big Macs, and quesadillas. I try to stay away from alot of reduced-fat and fat-free dairy, as that gives food the "healthy" taste that our boys don't seem to enjoy. Just reduce the amount.

We also make homemade pizzas alot, where I do my half of the pizza with lowfat cheese and lots of veggies, and he makes his half with regular cheese and pepperoni.
  • honestly, spices are your friends....

you find some spices that you and the BF love and you work those on EVERYTHING...

in our house it's curry spices, cumin and taco seasoning (homemade).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Whatever you prepare, just add your favorite SAUCE (and cheese, for your boyfriend).
    Marinara
    Salsa
    Trader Joe's enchilada sauce
    A touch of avocado or nice olive oil
    Spices
    Unrefined salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Oh.....and a glass of cabernet....
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    One of my favs, that the kids love (even my 19 year old son).... Baked chicken breasts with parmesan and salad supreme. It goes with everything under the sun! I've used it for parmesan chicken, just add a little sauce and some pasta. By itself with a baked potato and broccoli. With noodles tossed with a little fresh garlic, cracked pepper and EVOO, then add asparagus and broccoli. So many ways to use it, and the flavor is amazing.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Grilled shrimp fajitas.... Done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Why does everyone seem to think that "healthy" and nutritious food has to be boring and bland? I just don't get it...

I'm the primary cook in my family and I'm a total foodie and I'm big on nutrition...nothing I make is bland or boring and it's all pretty nutritious. I'd say pretty much pick up a decent cookbook and go shopping for some whole ingredients and put them together and voila...you have a nice healthy meal.

Tonight I'm grilling some salmon and serving over a brown rice pilaf with olive oil roasted brussel's sprouts. It's totally healthy...my portion will clock in at around 600 calories or so and my wife's portion will be in the 400 - 500 range depending on how much salmon and rice she takes.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Chicken tacos:
    1 onion
    1 lb ground chicken
    1/2 jalapeno
    2 cloves garlic
    1 packet of taco seasoning from the store (check salt content)
    1 chioptle in adobo sauce and 1 tablespoon of sauce from can (super cheap)

Sautee onion until soft, add chopped and deseeded jalapeno, chopped chipotle and sauce and garlic for a minute or two to toast, then add ground chicken. As chicken cooks, chop it up with a spatula so it looks like taco meat and not a solid mass. You're done.

I eat this chicken on brown rice with guacamole on the side, or put it all inside a sweet potato.

My boyfriend who hates healthy food eats his like a regular taco wtih cheese. We are both happy.
  • Another vote for skinnytaste.com

My family has loved every recipe I've made from there. So yummy!

Some of my favorites are:
    Taco stuffed zucchini
    Santa Fe Chicken
    Broccoli Cheese Soup
    Turkey Meatloaf
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    I know this isn't your question necessarily, but if you are making dinner and something tastes bland there are a few cooking tips and tricks.

One is salt. I think salt gets a bad name - unless your doctor has specifically told you that you have to reduce your sodium, you can and should COOK with salt. I emphasized cook because the main contributor of excess sodium is not from cooking but from processed foods. SO if your cooking with fresh vegetables and lean meats - if a little salt gets you to enjoy it more it is totally worth it.

Two is roasting and any kind of browning process - browning adds flavour and not calories. Roasting vegetables with a little olive oil, salt and pepper is so damn good (ex.asparagus, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, etc etc). also if you are having chicken breast - which has the tendency to be bland and boring try this next time - sautee in a pan with mushrooms and onions and get some good browning (but try not to burn either) and then when the chicken is done take it out of the pan and then add a splash of wine or sherry to "deglaze the pan" add some salt and pepper and maybe some herbs and pour that over your chicken. Crazy good and still will be similar in calories.

Three is butter. Nothing excessive, but if you are making a more special dinner if you swap out the calories you might normally get from olive oil or other added fat for cooking and use butter instead you will get a richer more delicious meal. mm i love butter.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Bump for ideas!!

I like making cobb salads. Turkey Bacon, Tomatoes, Avocados, and lettuce. For the dressing, I use Skinny Taste light Blue Cheese Dressing. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html

I also LOVE this enchilada casserole. Boyfriend approved! So yummy. But if he wont try food because it looks healthy.. don't make this! Haha. http://www.perrysplate.com/2011/03/stacked-roasted-vegetable-enchiladas.html
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    "Fried Rice" using eggbeaters, veggie combo to your taste. , cooked brown rice, non stick pan and some low sodium soy sauce. Use veggie to rice ratio to meet your calorie goals and maybe 1 or 2 eggbeater portions to suit qty you make.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    I made this last night. I had a gigantic serving - it was more like 1.5 servings - for under 600 calories. It makes about 6 servings at approximately 387 calories per serving. It might be kinda high for you 1200, but here it goes...

1. In pan, start boiling water for pasta. Add pasta (12 oz) when water is boiling. I use penne shaped, the Smart Taste brand.
    2. In large frying pan, heat some oil (just enough to cover the bottom of the pan) over medium-high heat.
    3. Add chopped garlic to pan, 3-6 cloves depending on taste. I don't chop, I use a garlic press.
    4. Add in half a bag of shrimp. I almost always forget to defrost so I add it in frozen. I usually use precooked because it is faster. If it is not precooked, wait for it to cook before moving on to the next step.
    5. Once shrimp is cooked and heated through, add chopped mushrooms and spinach (2 large handfuls). I usually use one box of mini-bella (the one that is more square, not the large rectangular one). I have used fresh spinach and I have used frozen. Very little difference.

During steps 3-5, stir frequently, but no need to stir constantly.

6. Once spinach and mushrooms are heated through and cooked, turn heat to low and stir in 1 jar of marinara sauce (I usually use Newman's Own) and 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt.
    7. When sauce is heated, stir in the pasta (drained).

Can serve with some parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
  • colingibb
    colingibb Posts: 31 Member
    Had this the last two nights and it was delicious. Just under 500 cals for the whole meal (including main dish, rice and veggies).. there are also some other really good 500 cal recipes on http://www.Slimfast.com/recipes

http://www.slimfast.com/recipes/47677/tilapia-gremolata-with-vegetable-ribbons
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Individual food items are neither "healthy" nor "unhealthy." Strive to hit your macronutrient and calorie goals. When you hit your macros, you *have* eaten "healthy," no matter if it's "comfort food" or if it's bland chicken.