To Run With or Without Music

Options

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I run without because I can't find ear buds that don't fall out. It's really not that bad. The only thing I find music good for is my pace because I have certain songs that I go faster with.

If you want to run with your music, try using a safety pin (or a paper clip in a pinch) to fasten the ear bud wires to the neck of your shirt, just below where the two wires merge. Doing that has tremendously helped the problem of them being dragged out of my ears.

To answer the original question, I run with classic/80's rock.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Run with, bike without for safety reasons.

I have gotten into listening to podcasts of Bill Maher rather than music lately. I am sure that I look like a fool running down the street laughing my *kitten* off.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have to run with music or I run slower.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    With!!!!
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like runners who run with music, especially how they don't pay attention to anything around them, and generally act like your average 14 year old that has no concept or care of what's going on around them.

The best is when they get scared by cars around them, or when a bike rider passes them, and they lose their **** because "it was done unsafely!"

If you're on a quarter mile track though, it's safe enough.

I like drivers who pay attention to challenges in the road instead of listening to Howard Stern and texting chicks who pretend they never got his text. hahaaa just teasing.

I hate running without music. Hate it.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    WITH WITH WITH!

Sounds ridiculous, but listen to 'Bonkers' by Dizzy Rascal next time you're exercising - it has the best beat, especially for a fast walk!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I usually run with music (although I just have it playing from my phone speaker, I NEVER use headphones so I can be more aware of my environment). However, you are not allowed to use ipods/mp3 players/phones/etc in a USAT sanctioned triathlon, so I always make sure I run once a week without music (from May-August, this is easy for me, because my local tri club holds practices every wednesday, and you're not supposed to use headphones then, either). :happy:
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I am running with my running partner, I do not run with music because we chat as we run usually unless we are doing 8 min mile splits or less because we both cannot keep a conversation going at that point. However, when I'm on a treadmill, I HAVE to run with music because it is so boring. Also, I almost always run with music when by myself unless I'm out by like a river quarry or someplace with running water as I like the calming sounds it provides. Usually my music is hard rock, techno, or pop music that has a fast paced beat.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a runner but I go for very brisk walks (around 4-4.5 MPH) and I refuse to do so without music. I feel it helps keep me focused and helps to not let my mind wander.
  • nwingr
    nwingr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    On the tread mill with music, Foo Fighters, 3 Doors Down.....

Outside, I trail run, so I skip the music, lots of other things to listen to.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I run without. It's my thinking time. I can work through things going through my head and come up with all those witty comments that I wish I would have come up with earlier when dealing with people who bug me, then let it all go. I set goals, think about how far I've come (fitness wise - good grief! I'm RUNNING! Who'd've thought a few years ago that I'd be doing this!?!) and plan the rest of my day. I've thought about adding music, but I enjoy my thinking time too much!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I generally don't run with music but I'm 100% an outdoors runner. If I were stuck on a treadmill it would be a different story. I'd need something to overcome the monotony. When I do, I use a headset that's designed with a single ear bud so I can be aware of my surroundings. My music selection is all over the place. It can be music or a podcast.
  • runmamarun7
    runmamarun7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run with music too, can't imagine running without :) I do have a friend who is an avid marathoner and he runs on the last leg of his marathons with music, he says it's sort of a treat to yourself and an incentive to hit those last miles. I have tried this even though I consider 6-7 miles a long run lol, I can't do it. There has even been times my iphone has died in the middle of a run and I've considered just going home.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Without music. But I do listen to my favorite books or This American Life (the non-boring ones).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I run on the street, or on the sidewalk, so music is a no-no for me. I'm OCD about situational awareness, and I must be able to hear if there are cars coming.

It's a peaceful time. I get to think about all the things that are boggling my mind and sort through it. I enjoy listening to nature when I get to, and hearing the pitter-patter of my feet and my dog's paws is music to my ears. It's the sound of progress.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Without. Running is how I dump all the crap out of my brain. Music just crowds up all the stuff already swirling around.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I run without because I can't find ear buds that don't fall out. It's really not that bad. The only thing I find music good for is my pace because I have certain songs that I go faster with.

I thought the same thing. So i figured it was worth getting a pair that did not fall out. like these.

yurbudsfo-1367860551-26675.jpg
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Depends...WITH at all times when indoor on the treadmill. If outdoors and doing a quick run, without. If a longer run, with since i need the motivation, and music motivates me.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cardio is generally not my favorite thing, so I typically run/bike/whatever with music.

Lifting, it depends. If I am going heavy, no music. :)
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I dont run with music but instead I listen to podcasts or audio books