Does your body get "used to" eating the same foods?

I find that sometimes I can eat the exact same foods, but get different effects. Some days I can have a protein shake for breakfast and be fine until lunch. Other days I have to have two snacks between. Same goes for pretty much any food! The only food that consistently makes me feel the same way is eggs (as in, it doesn't matter if I eat one or a dozen or how I prepare them, I'm hungry within an hour). I wonder if I should vary my diet more in order to curb this effect? Does anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Check this out... http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/7-day-calorie-confusion-meal-plan It may or maynot work. I haven't tried the plan but I have been switching up my meals for the past 3 wks notice a difference in how my body respond.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    I would like to get insight on this as well. In my experience I've eaten the same foods forever. I'm so picky that I eat from the same like 20 foods I do eat and there's only so many combinations you can do until you're eating the exact same meals. I don't know if that would cause you to not want to eat in between meals one day and snack another. Food is fuel and so it should all really do the same job.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    It's a setup
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I find it has more to do with what I did the day before. The day after a run, I'm STARVING and it doesn't matter what I eat, how much protein, etc, I could eat all day. After a lifting day, not so much.
  • I change up my foods all the time because I get bored with eating the same thing over and over. I also think it's good to change things up to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need. I eat 5 smaller meals to fight off the hunger feeling. Eggs don't stick with me either, but I dump a bunch of peppers, mushroom, spinach, or what ever vegetable is in the fridge in them to fill me up. At least this way I'm filling up on nutritious low calorie food.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    No you don't get "used" to foods you eat often. Varying your diet is a good thing- it prevents boredom and ensures you have a good nutritional profile.

The difference between days has to do with something else. Maybe you didn't get enough sleep the night before, or you are moving around more, or you had an extra hard workout the day before, or you've been cutting calories too low for a while and it's catching up with you, or you didn't have enough protein or fat the day before. It's some factor that's not your body getting used to food.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    I find it has more to do with what I did the day before. The day after a run, I'm STARVING and it doesn't matter what I eat, how much protein, etc, I could eat all day. After a lifting day, not so much.

I wonder if it would have to do with my evening snack. Last night I had cereal (so basically all carbs). I wonder if I have a higher protein snack at night, if that would help "hold" me over in the mornings until lunch (not skipping breakfast of course).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm sure it's nothing biological. I'd guess it's mental. Are you busy the days your aren't hungry? Bored the days you are?

Either way, if "mixing it up" helps you stay on track by all means, do so.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    I'm bored at work most of the time. My work is repetitive and there isn't often anything requiring full concentration. (That's how I gained 30 lbs to begin with!).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I think it depends a lot on hormones, activity level etc. It happens to me too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Your body gets used to certain foods in that it can build a tolerance for certain things, or in that a major dietary change can cause some gastrointestinal distress.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    The human body is designed to adapt however your hunger response can be effected by many many different things. The amount of sleep you get, your activity level, your hormones, your stress level, emotions. Every day is different. I do recomment switching it up. I always have a fruit and veggie smoothie in the morning, but I vary the ingredients. different fruits and veggies. yogurt, nuts ect. Variety is best for getting the most balanced and healthy diet and to make sure you are getting all of the nutrients that your body needs. Broccoli is great, but if that it the only vegetable you eat, you will miss out on many many essential vitamins and minerals etc.....
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Check this out... http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/7-day-calorie-confusion-meal-plan It may or maynot work. I haven't tried the plan but I have been switching up my meals for the past 3 wks notice a difference in how my body respond.

Anythign with the words "Dr. Oz" should be avoided at all costs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    variety is the spice of life, but no...your body doesn't get used to eating the same food and you don't have to switch it up or anything to jump start your metabolism or whatever. eating the same thing is pretty boring and probably not all that great for your mental health and sanity...but it's not lie working out where your muscles are adapting to the same activity so you need to switch it up...food is just the fuel.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    If you ate a big dinner last night, your breakfast will likely keep you full because you're still digesting some of last night's dinner. If it was a smaller dinner the night before, you'll get hungry sooner after breakfast.