Help, please. Brand-noob to lifting.

Seriously, I'm am moderately older, untried potential weight lifter. I have never lifted, ever. I mean, obviously, I have picked up things, sometimes kind of heavy things, but I have never done any kind of weight lifting or resistance training. I'm looking for a very- beginners-have-no-clue-whatsoever work out tutorial. I have some smaller hand weights to start with and I have some resistance bands. Anybody have any ideas so I don't have to strain my limited attention span and free time by watching endless youtube videos? I also would prefer not to buy some expensive book that may or may not be to my liking. Help, anybody?

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    If you are going to go the hand weights and resistance band route I would just go with P90X. It will get you in pretty good shape. Its pretty hard for noob though, but you just have to scale it back.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    if this is something you want, then you have to focus. youtube is a great source of information. there are books out their that can be very helpful. "new rules of lifting for women" is a great book, but geared more towards women that have gym access. it sounds like you'll be working out at home.

maybe check out the website http://www.marklauren.com/ he's the guy that created the "you are your own gym" work out.

also, check out this- http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Thanks, guys. I think I will try that nerdfitness one. Cool. :flowerforyou:
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    This was me about a year ago, so I'll just take you through exactly what I did :P I've dropped bf%, strengthened my joints and overall just gotten a LOT stronger (and "firmer", which the boyf likes :))

Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift: the three basic compound power lifts - what I chose as the basis from which to build my resistance program.

Make sure you have good form on these 3 lifts:
    -Youtube videos
    -People-watching in the gym
    -Asking trainers to show you, spot you and check your form (not just the first time you do the lifts, but also every few weeks after, to make sure it stays good)

I did a full-body workout every second day (less often for the first few weeks, to just get my body used to the moves), for 6ish months before I even thought of redesigning it (now I do splits).

Warm-up:
    10 mins elliptical - low resistance but go relatively fast and use your arms, to warm up your whole body, should be sweating

Strength Training on Compound Lifts:
    3 sets of 8 reps squatting (I used smaller barbells first, then progressed to the power rack when I could comfortably squat 45lbs)

3 sets of 8 reps on bench press (same deal with smaller barbells before power rack)

3 sets of 3-5 reps deadlift (I found 8 reps to be too taxing)

Additional Resistance Training:

After I got used to the 3 big lifts, I started adding in other resistance exercises like ab work (planks!), chin-ups/pull-ups, sometimes the machines, hip thrusts/glute bridges, rows, and overhead press, to name a few. Make sure your form is good! I prefer to do these after the big lifts so that I can give my all to the big 3 and don't start off already tired out.

Cardio/Cool-Down:
    20 mins treadmill/elliptical/bike if I felt like it - less if I didn't or more if I wanted to properly hit the cardio

STRETCHING

So that's what I did for a good 6 months, to build up a baseline of strength. Now my stats are around 190lb squat, 80lb bench press and 180lb deadlift, and I'm working on a split workout routine with the 3 on different days, adding in more accessory work and working more in the 3-6 rep ranges for strength gains.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Sounds like a really solid plan. Although I think she wants to stick with resistance bands and hand weights.

This was me about a year ago, so I'll just take you through exactly what I did :P I've dropped bf%, strengthened my joints and overall just gotten a LOT stronger (and "firmer", which the boyf likes :))

Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift: the three basic compound power lifts - what I chose as the basis from which to build my resistance program.

Make sure you have good form on these 3 lifts:
    -Youtube videos
    -People-watching in the gym
    -Asking trainers to show you, spot you and check your form (not just the first time you do the lifts, but also every few weeks after, to make sure it stays good)

I did a full-body workout every second day (less often for the first few weeks, to just get my body used to the moves), for 6ish months before I even thought of redesigning it (now I do splits).

Warm-up:
    10 mins elliptical - low resistance but go relatively fast and use your arms, to warm up your whole body, should be sweating

Strength Training on Compound Lifts:
    3 sets of 8 reps squatting (I used smaller barbells first, then progressed to the power rack when I could comfortably squat 45lbs)

3 sets of 8 reps on bench press (same deal with smaller barbells before power rack)

3 sets of 3-5 reps deadlift (I found 8 reps to be too taxing)

Additional Resistance Training:

After I got used to the 3 big lifts, I started adding in other resistance exercises like ab work (planks!), chin-ups/pull-ups, sometimes the machines, hip thrusts/glute bridges, rows, and overhead press, to name a few. Make sure your form is good! I prefer to do these after the big lifts so that I can give my all to the big 3 and don't start off already tired out.

Cardio/Cool-Down:
    20 mins treadmill/elliptical/bike if I felt like it - less if I didn't or more if I wanted to properly hit the cardio

STRETCHING

So that's what I did for a good 6 months, to build up a baseline of strength. Now my stats are around 190lb squat, 80lb bench press and 180lb deadlift, and I'm working on a split workout routine with the 3 on different days, adding in more accessory work and working more in the 3-6 rep ranges for strength gains.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    That is a good plan!

However here is a link that you also might find useful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    youtube and google are you friends.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Thanks, holly! Yeah, I literally do not have access to a gym. I live in a small town on a large island in SE Alaska and we do not have a gym here, so if I'm going to do this, it is going to be at home. That is why I was looking for hand weights/resistance bands routines.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    The best exercises are indeed the squat, deadlift, and bench press. I'd throw in OHP as well. And it is well nigh impossible to squat or deadlift dumbells.

Weight lifting is hugely important -- it will help your strength (duh), your bone density, mobility (if you're squatting correctly), blood pressure, and a bunch of other things. If you literally cannot get to a gym 2x a week, I would invest in a barbell & squat stand. I'd squat twice a week 3x5, alternate bench press and overhead press 3x5, and on OHP day, throw in a deadlift 1x5.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    A great website I found for weights was:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

It also has video to show form