Carbs vs Calories

Options
So, there are a lot of different people that say that carbs are the thing to watch when looking to shed the pounds, but then there are the people who say to just watch the calories. I was wondering what has worked for you all, especially if you have tried both approaches. I know to try and cut out white breads and pastas, but on low carb diets they also tend to want you to cut out whole grains, oatmeal, fruits, and yogurts. In experience, which is better to lose weight? cutting out carbs or calories?

Replies

• jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,002 Member
    Options
    Carbs are calories. Lower carb works for some people, me for example, it tends to be a higher protein and fat diet but the effect is generally more satiating and some people can adhere better to dietary changes. Personally I don't subscribe to the very low carb diet, that's just too restrictive for most people. My carbs represent about 25% of my calories and that does it for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's calories first and foremost for me, but the type of carb makes a big difference in how easy it is to stick to a calorie goal. Fast digesting carbs like sugars and overly processed grains don't keep me full long if I eat too much or eat them alone. I concentrate on on fiber more than carbs, because it's impossible to stick to my calorie, protein and fiber goal and eat too much sugar or overly processed grains.

I am very much a "good carb" "bad carb" believer.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I usually end up cutting down on carbs, but that is just because those are what tend to put me over my calorie limit. :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I haven't found the need to cut carbs. I do focus on getting enough protein and fat, but I don't try to restrict carbs. I eat bread (both white and brown) and chocolate most days, and regularly eat (white) pasta, potatoes, oats etc. I generally get anywhere between 150-200 g of carbs a day, more when I'm running a lot.

If you have certain medical conditions such as diabetes or pcos, you may respond better to lower carbs, and some people find it easier to control their appetite by reducing carbs (or perhaps it's just because they increase protein & fats in their place). Otherwise, there's really no need.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I eat 30% protein, 30% carb and 40% fat, or try to.
    I also have an active setting, eat back my exercise calories and have a goal of 0.5 lb/week.
    My daily net calorie goal is 2200. It's working.
    My BMR is 1700, based on BF.
    When you lower carbs, you naturally drop some calories. However, if you go with a higher amount of fat, typically a calorie goal should be a little bit higher.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I follow a plan few talk about anymore - carbohydrateaddicts lifespan program. I'm approaching my 3rd anniversary of getting extremely serious about losing my excess weight and have to date lost over 146 lbs. It's not a low carb approach - more of a balanced carb approach, and I've used calorie counting to get a grasp of what normal portion size is again. Since I began watching a daily calorie total back in May of 2013 I've lost 60 lbs (I'd been on a plateau for months).

So, for ME, watching both is what is working well.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Overall you want to cut calories. Lower energy intake = more fat burn.

However, protein = important for muscle repair/growth

Fat = wide variety of functions in health

Carbohydrates = Important no doubt but pretty much just a source of energy.

So if you want to cut out the three, a lot of people go with the reducing CHO option - particularly as both protein and fat typically come from satiating foods such as eggs chicken fish whereas carbs like bagels bread are far less satisfying.

Also a fair amount of evidence suggesting CHO improve general health and weight loss better than low calorie alone by promoting fat oxidation but thats a whole different story
  • empenTen
    Options
    I have successfully lost good amounts of weight on low cal (just under 100lbs) and low carb (56lbs). The low cal was so restrictive I put a good chunk back on - hence the low carb which came a few years later.
    I believe that either can be very successful but it all depends on what you are able to commit to long term.

I have struggled a lot with my weight - up and down repeatedly so nowadays I try to simply eat sensibly, restrict my carbs to post gym at lunch time and try to keep between 1500 and 2000 cals max a day. I am probably having around 50g of carb a day - which is quite low. Lean protein at every meal and mindful eating.

Personally I have found this to be a halfway house that means I dont feel restricted (and liable to binge as I did often on low cal) or craving carbs (hmmmm buttery toast!).

HTH
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Calories, calories, calories.
  • CindyCabrera2013
    CindyCabrera2013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I dropped alot of weight off the Atkins diet however very easily gained it back :(

I have also lost the same about of weight off counting calories and have been able to keep it off since May of last year. I think it is easier to track calories with portion control rather than be limited to what you can eat with no or low carbs. I am no health expert just a normal lady trying to shed some chunky monkey weight :flowerforyou:
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you cut the carbs you do cut the calories.
    the purpose to reducing carbs is to reduce the amount of insulin in your bloodstream
    since insulin is the hormone which builds adipose (i.e. fat) tissue, it makes sense to not give insulin the chance to store more fat for you since it is fat that you are trying to lose.
    so keep carbs under say 100 grams per day, and certainly avoid the high glycemic types of carbs (bread, potato, rice, grains, sugar, honey, fruit juices, HFCS, etc). while you can eat whole fruit, there's no need for it really. it's calorific, higher carb and fructose is hard on the liver. but overall if you reduce carbs it is much easier to lose fat tissue.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Obviously if you cut the carbs you do cut the calories.
    the purpose to reducing carbs is to reduce the amount of insulin in your bloodstream
    since insulin is the hormone which builds adipose (i.e. fat) tissue, it makes sense to not give insulin the chance to store more fat for you since it is fat that you are trying to lose.
    so keep carbs under say 100 grams per day, and certainly avoid the high glycemic types of carbs (bread, potato, rice, grains, sugar, honey, fruit juices, HFCS, etc). while you can eat whole fruit, there's no need for it really. it's calorific, higher carb and fructose is hard on the liver. but overall if you reduce carbs it is much easier to lose fat tissue.

Great point, also remember that insulin actually inhibits the oxidation (burning) of fat and not just the deposition. So really the reduced CHO intake promotes fat loss through two mechanisms, even though it is still the overall calorie deficit thats important.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you are.. you can do it both way.
    Chris Powel, and Fighterdiet.com both recommend lower carbs and higher Protien, to loose weight.

Other people say just to cut calories accross the board.( carbs, protien, fat).

Do what works for you.. try out each way for a month and see what happens.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost good amounts of weight on low cal (just under 100lbs) and low carb (56lbs). The low cal was so restrictive I put a good chunk back on - hence the low carb which came a few years later.

:huh:

Lowering your Calories isn't restrictive at all. You just eat less of the things you already eat. Low carb is, by its very nature, restrictive. Sure, I guess you could just eat less of the high-carb foods you currently eat and replace them with more (or higher) protein and/or fat foods. But, with low carb, you pretty much can't eat but a tiny amount of certain foods (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) without taking up your carb allotment for the day.

I mean, whatever works for you, but what you said above is completely backward.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you cut carbs without cutting calories, you will not lose weight.

If you cut calories without cutting carbs, you will lose weight.

The answer is indisputably "calories".
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • vidDa1989
    vidDa1989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well, I have tried everything.

The one thing I have noticed is when I cut on carbs I become extremely weak at the gym. My performance drops with the weights.
    So when I'm building muscle, my carbs are around 35% of my overall calorie goal (220 grams approx) ,which is 2400-2500 kcal, and my proteins are around 180 grams per day (2 grams per 1 kilogram of body weight).
    BUT when I'm cutting and want to loose all that pesky fat, it's high fiber, low carb (you take away the fiber you eat out of your overall carbs), 2000 kcal diet with some intense Tabata or HIIT trainings. Strange that my stamina and cardio workouts don't suffer.

So...if you want to shed weight, you keep your carbs medium to low, and don't eat heavy sugars (Nutella and all that delicious stuff) and be it the caloric deficit. You CAN try diets like Herbalife (approx 1500 kcal) cuz it worked for me, I shed 15 kg in 2 months, but you become what it's called skinny-fat.
    You can try Intermittent Fasting, that's my way of life now, so to speak, and it's excellent!

I know my post is all over the place, but here are so much stuff I want to say... :D
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me is cutting BOTH calories and carbs.
  • michael300891
    Options

:huh:

Lowering your Calories isn't restrictive at all. You just eat less of the things you already eat. Low carb is, by its very nature, restrictive. Sure, I guess you could just eat less of the high-carb foods you currently eat and replace them with more (or higher) protein and/or fat foods. But, with low carb, you pretty much can't eat but a tiny amount of certain foods (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) without taking up your carb allotment for the day.

I mean, whatever works for you, but what you said above is completely backward.

I dont believe in a cut it all out approach, just a reduction e.g. two slices of toast to one.

You just cut out 100kcal. But keep both eggs?

Still get the protein and less kcal.

Do it the other way around and you lose some protein, plus youll be more hungry and probably eat more later in the day anyway.

Most of the negative opinions of low CHO diet are because they are associated with extremely restrictive ketogenic diets. While theres plenty of evidence these work, the evidence still holds strong for far less restricted diets.