Cant stop eating junk food?

Options
Last summer MFP helped me to lose the weight I needed successfully! I ate healthy and enjoyed living a clean lifestyle... I also enjoyed regular exercise! Recently, I had to move into my nonnas house temporarily until my house is done renovations. While being here I have gained all the weight back and I have also gained fat. Theres a lot of junk food here so I pretty much go crazy eating it everynight... cake, cookies, you name it. The amounts of food I eat here is crazy as well. I try to work out, but sometimes I get in trouble for being too loud and theres not a lot of places here to work out. I am ALWAYS bloated and I always feel sick. I try everyday to get back on track, it goes good for a while, and then in a few hours I eat terribly again. I managed two days last week without eating a ton, but after that I went right back. I have no idea what to do anymore! I started logging again yesterday (I stopped logging around Christmas) and I go over on fat, carbs, and calories very early in the day. I left my diary open so anyone could see. I need tips on how to stay away from junk food please! Or good ideas of exercises that are okay when theres not too much space around? Any other ideas are good too! I want to feel like myself again.. I have 2 more weeks at my nonna's, although I could maybe go home early since my kitchen only needs the backsplash and everything is done.. Do you think its a good idea for me to go home? Anyways: Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    the less you eat of it the less you'll crave it. FIGHT IT. get through it now and live the rest of your life as a champion. if you can withstand the temptation when it's around you, then imagine how easy it is when those cookies and cakes arent around. now is the real test of your own self-control. whats more important to you, stuffing your face or getting fit? theres always a choice....
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and successful maintenance is about keeping within your allotted calories, not what types of food you're eating. Calories, calories, calories.

Why not learn how to eat the foods you like, in a way that will be sustainable not only for weight loss but also for long term maintenance? Correct portion sizes, accurately filling out your food diary (pre-filling it is really helpful), learning how calories work and figuring out the difference between real hunger vs habitual hunger, eating out of boredom etc, will go a long way to being successful, regardless of your circumstances (which will change over the course of the rest of your life).
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also of have a nonna, Italian, and they really make weight loss hard, they used to call my obese brother "too skinny" . But it all comes down to self control, you know what you should nand shouldn't eat, you are allowed to be naughty sometimes but if you endulge too much the weight obviously comes running back.

As for exercise. Maybe go for a run outside and do some step ups out there. Sit ups, push ups and planks are good in door ones to do :)
  • tataylllor
    tataylllor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also of have a nonna, Italian, and they really make weight loss hard, they used to call my obese brother "too skinny" . But it all comes down to self control, you know what you should nand shouldn't eat, you are allowed to be naughty sometimes but if you endulge too much the weight obviously comes running back.

As for exercise. Maybe go for a run outside and do some step ups out there. Sit ups, push ups and planks are good in door ones to do :)

My nonna still does that to me too! She looks to me as if I am starving myself when I eat and calls me skinny all the time! She also asks me "Why dont you eat food anymore?"!! I hate it! It is cold out (temperatures reaching -25 degrees celcius in Canada!), but would dancing on the Wii and maybe jumping rope in the basement help? Stuff like that?
  • tataylllor
    Options
    Weight loss and successful maintenance is about keeping within your allotted calories, not what types of food you're eating. Calories, calories, calories.

Why not learn how to eat the foods you like, in a way that will be sustainable not only for weight loss but also for long term maintenance? Correct portion sizes, accurately filling out your food diary (pre-filling it is really helpful), learning how calories work and figuring out the difference between real hunger vs habitual hunger, eating out of boredom etc, will go a long way to being successful, regardless of your circumstances (which will change over the course of the rest of your life).

Thank you!! Filling out my diary ahead of time is a really smart idea...!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to binges.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tataylllor
    Options
    Welcome back! Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to binges.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Thank you and good point.. That is probably the cause of my excessive binging. Thanks for the guide!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! Remember, you eat weight by eating at a deficit. Period. You can eat anything in moderation. Any thing.
  • tataylllor
    Options
    You're welcome! Remember, you eat weight by eating at a deficit. Period. You can eat anything in moderation. Any thing.

I will remember that! The only problem is that I am terrible at eating in moderation,,. Usually I end up going all out.. Is there any tips to help with this?? Thank you for all your help by the way!!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

This. Unless eating "junk food" is preventing you from reaching your macronutrient and micronutrient goals consistently, I don't see an issue.
  • wheird
    Options

I will remember that! The only problem is that I am terrible at eating in moderation,,. Usually I end up going all out.. Is there any tips to help with this?? Thank you for all your help by the way!!

Well, which meal do you tend to overdo it on? Dinner?
  • tataylllor
    Options

Its not really a meal, its more like snacks. I snack a lot ever since coming here.. It used to be healthy and now it is just cookies, cake, chocolate.. all that stuff! In the past I avoided it at all costs, but now I eat it without stopping! Even times when I try to eat a bit, it doesn't work out because I end up wanting more! ( I hope this makes sense!)
  • wheird
    Options

Its not really a meal, its more like snacks. I snack a lot ever since coming here.. It used to be healthy and now it is just cookies, cake, chocolate.. all that stuff! In the past I avoided it at all costs, but now I eat it without stopping! Even times when I try to eat a bit, it doesn't work out because I end up wanting more! ( I hope this makes sense!)

Well, are you baking the sweets or buying them? Try baking or buying them in smaller quanities. Also, if you know you have a tendency to snack, try to play for it and eat least earlier in the day.

P.S. It may take awhile, but the habit DOES break after a period of time. :)
  • tataylllor
    Options

Well, are you baking the sweets or buying them? Try baking or buying them in smaller quanities. Also, if you know you have a tendency to snack, try to play for it and eat least earlier in the day.

It is my parents and grandparents who buy it all! Should I avoid it all costs or find certain days to eat junk or anything like that? Good idea too with snacking earlier in the day.. Thank you for your advice, it means a lot!!
  • wheird
    Options

It is my parents and grandparents who buy it all! Should I avoid it all costs or find certain days to eat junk or anything like that? Good idea too with snacking earlier in the day.. Thank you for your advice, it means a lot!!

Well, I like to encourage people to break their negative relationship with food as a way to help them lead a healthy lifestyle long term, but if you are really struggling, it may benefit you to avoid it completely, at least for a little while, then try to slowly reintroduce things in a controlled manner.

I believe that the "ideal" mindset with food it to see it as both a means of fueling your body and as a pleasurable experience.
  • tataylllor
    Options

Well, I like to encourage people to break their negative relationship with food as a way to help them lead a healthy lifestyle long term, but if you are really struggling, it may benefit you to avoid it completely, at least for a little while, then try to slowly reintroduce things in a controlled manner.

I believe that the "ideal" mindset with food it to see it as both a means of fueling your body and as a pleasurable experience.

Alright! Good idea.. That is a smart way to see it!! I think avoiding it for a while would be good for me.. Do you have any tips on how to avoid it or anything?? Im sorry I keep asking so many question, you are a great help!! c:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this x 100 …

You will have better long term success if you learn to eat the foods you like in moderation, while maintaining a daily calorie deficit, and working out/moving more….
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Eventually you'll want to learn how to incorporate these foods into your day in healthy amounts, but since it's really causing you trouble right now, it wouldn't hurt to try to make a clean break and stay away from all of it for a few days. You know what foods are triggers for you, the ones you just can't put down, so don't pick them up to begin with.

Sit-ups, push ups, planks, squats, arm lifts (use anything handy as weights), basically anything that gets you moving is good.
  • wheird
    Options

Alright! Good idea.. That is a smart way to see it!! I think avoiding it for a while would be good for me.. Do you have any tips on how to avoid it or anything?? Im sorry I keep asking so many question, you are a great help!! c:

Just resolve yourself to not eating it for awhile. You can't really expect others to avoid it just because you chose to start eating better or avoiding certain things, so just try to keep it out of sight, out of mind for awhile.
  • tataylllor
    Options
    Eventually you'll want to learn how to incorporate these foods into your day in healthy amounts, but since it's really causing you trouble right now, it wouldn't hurt to try to make a clean break and stay away from all of it for a few days. You know what foods are triggers for you, the ones you just can't put down, so don't pick them up to begin with.

Sit-ups, push ups, planks, squats, arm lifts (use anything handy as weights), basically anything that gets you moving is good.

Thank you!! Great tips! I will try my best to stay away at all costs.